Blackovis vs First Lite Merino

I've been looking at the BO merino base layers recently. Seem reasonably priced and get pretty good reviews. I love my Aerowool tops from FL but they are kind of expensive. I noticed that the short sleeve merino shirts from BO are a 50/50 blend and that the Aerowool is a poly/merino as well. Anyone have experience with the BO tops? Specifically, how well do they wick sweat and how fast do they dry? The aerowool top I have seems just as good at drying and wicking as any poly shirt I've had. Thoughts?

gumbl3

WKR
I don't have any experience with FL, but I bought a couple short sleeves off camofire recently because I like the blended idea. I thought it wicked pretty well the one day I had it out on a scouting trip. Like anything though, where my backpack and bino harness was stayed soaked. I'll throw this out, if you're between sizes definitely go with lower size, they fit pretty big.

jolemons

WKR
Imo first lite merino is the best, but for the $ I'd go BO. It's not quite as soft, but barely perceptible difference.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

HeadnWest

WKR
I got the BO boxers lat year for around $15 a pair. Worked great. My brother bought the FL boxers and had holes in them after a 7 day hunt. While I Love FL wool, I am not sure I will ever buy a 100% wool product again, based on durability.

MillCreekMike

Lil-Rokslider
Black Ovid merino is really good for it's price. I have 1st lite & it's better, it's a higher quality wool. The cost reflects that. After a few hours in a Black Ovis hoodie & im itching around the neck area. I can spend days in the boxers with no issues. They pil a bit more but not bad. I have been using both for 2 years & I'm ok with either.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
The Aerowool is a better deal for the money. I would go through almost two merino wool shirts a year. I will be using the same Aerowool shirt for the third year. I will never buy pure merino baselayers again.

2blade

WKR
I don't have any problems with Black Ovis merino, no itch at all. I have 2 t-shirts, size large, and 2 long sleeve qtr zips, size medium. I use it mainly for scouting and rifle hunts. No experience with firstlite, I have 4 Core 4 Element gtr zips that is as soft as babys butt in Mothwing camo for bow hunts.

HoytHunter24

Lil-Rokslider
I have the BO short sleeve merino and the hooded merino top. I also have the new FL Fuse tops and bottoms. The FL material is much softer and seems a little more quality. BUT, I love my BO merino. I have been wearing the short sleeve to the gym and it wicks really well and dries pretty fast. I have no complaints with it and would recommend it to anyone.