Blackstone Outfitters - Yukon

Fishn4eyes

Lil-Rokslider
I'm researching a hunt possibility with Jim Fink and Blackstone Outfitters in the Yukon and seeing if anyone here has any first-hand experience with these folks.

I did a search and got a couple hits but not much detail in those threads.

Any info would be appreciated.

Visited with them at the Sheep Show and they seem like good folks but always like to do my due diligence.

KU_Geo

WKR
I chatted with them at Sheep Show as well and am interested. They’ve been around a long time, so curious if anyone here has hunted with them before as well. They were at the top of my list for a potent ion all Yukon hunt if I decided to not toward alaska

Kotaman

WKR
I've hunted adjacent to Blackstone twice, with Tombstone. In one of the cases Jim Fink (Blackstone Owner) actually flew me out and back to camp. The area is fantastic. Both outfits get pretty good reviews. In the end, I chose Tombstone because they were "smaller". In two hunts with Tombstone, I've killed 4 great animals. The Manager of Tombstone actually used to guide for Jim and remain good friends. Sorry I don't have more specific info on Blackstone. I've talked with two people that have hunted with Jim and both had great hunts. Blackstone has a TON of area and has been around forever.

idig4au

WKR
I booked a fannin sheep hunt at the sheep show with Blackstone after speaking to Jim and a few of his crew. He has a good reputation in the industry and as mentioned, has been around for a long time. I asked around with a few of my sheep guide friends and they confirmed my gut feelings so that is all I needed to book with him.

keller

WKR
My taxidermist is an avid sheep hunter he has all the sheep and marco polo.some archery.when i picked up my brown bear i asked him for references for a sheep hunt.first one was blackstone he has hunted with them multiple times and they have fannin sheep.alaska is tough based on bad winter kill depending on the year.then he said i have a friend in ak that was a wildlife biologist and he would get back to me. then he looked me in the eyes said "once you get one sheep you want them all it cost me my marriage." long and short he gave me 4 references from ak talked to them all and blackstone.blackstone was the best option but above my finances.went with cole ellis had a good hunt took a 11 yo full curl ram.so yes i would recommend blackstone based on my discussion with them and personal references.but i never hunted with them. best of luck in your search. john

#1antler

Lil-Rokslider
I did a 21 day hunt with Blackstone in 2017. Harvested a 13 yr old ram. 60 inch moose a fabulous mountain caribou. Guides , facilities, and Jim's flying ability were all first class. In short, it was the finest hunting experience I've ever had. Several hunters I met at camp return every year. If I had the finances I'd be there also

OP
Fishn4eyes

Fishn4eyes

Lil-Rokslider
Some good info here, thanks gentlemen.

Definitely leaning toward booking with them, I haven't heard a negative thing yet in my research and that says a lot.

I'll keep looking and have an email into Jim with several questions.

Appreciate it, fellas!

bradb

WKR
I had some buddies moose hunt with them this last fall. They had a great hunt with great success. I know a hunter killed a stud sheep with them last year

Had some beers with a couple of Blackstone's guides at Reno this year. Really great guys. Talked a lot about their operation. Seem to have a pretty sweet operation.

Paully_CA

FNG
Did you ever decide to go with Blackstone? I'm headed up there on 9/11. I've hunted with them twice before, 2001 and 2009. Great trips both times and got a great ram on the first trip and huge moose on the second.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Count me as another Blackstone and Jim & Adrienne fan. Been almost 20 years since I was there and took my avatar Fannin ram but cannot imagine, knowing them, that anything has slipped. Top notch people and top notch area.

OP
Fishn4eyes

Fishn4eyes

Lil-Rokslider
Did you ever decide to go with Blackstone? I'm headed up there on 9/11. I've hunted with them twice before, 2001 and 2009. Great trips both times and got a great ram on the first trip and huge moose on the second.
I did but am not going until '23 due to other hunts on my schedule not on their end. Good luck on your hunt and keep us posted!

Paully_CA

FNG
I talked to the Blackstone crew a few days ago and they said they were 7 for 7 so far this year. Congrats to your friend! How old was his ram?

MDR

FNG
They have been around a while, and seem respected by the few people I know who have interacted with their crew. I know nothing of their operation, what I do know is I like hunting that area as a resident. I just wish I could borrow some of their horses for a season.

Falcon

Lil-Rokslider
I also talked with the blackstone crew. Pretty sure I will book with them. Looking for a fannin sheep. The stone prices are getting scary..