Blacktail bucks

Yes. If these guys make it to 4+ years old they can really get hefty. He was super fat. Just about time for them to start burning it all back off in the rut soon

Yes. If these guys make it to 4+ years old they can really get hefty. He was super fat. Just about time for them to start burning it all back off in the rut soon
Body size like that doesn’t happen like that everywhere, that buck is a tank. I know of just a couple pockets of deer like that

I think it was 2011 my buddy killed that monster that was 167 4/8” net, that buck was 7.5yrs, he was maybe 145-150lbs live

my biggest bow buck was 6.5yrs, 3x3 that was just shy of 133” and he was for sure under 150lbs... not too far away, in one drainage, my sis in law killed a 6.5yr old, I killed a 4.5 and 5.5yr olds that were giants

Body size like that doesn’t happen like that everywhere, that buck is a tank. I know of just a couple pockets of deer like that

I think it was 2011 my buddy killed that monster that was 167 4/8” net, that buck was 7.5yrs, he was maybe 145-150lbs live

my biggest bow buck was 6.5yrs, 3x3 that was just shy of 133” and he was for sure under 150lbs... not too far away, in one drainage, my sis in law killed a 6.5yr old, I killed a 4.5 and 5.5yr olds that were giants
Heck ya, those are all great bucks you listed. To me if a buck makes it past 4, he's almost a whole different animal to try and kill :). Tagging any buck that old or older is an accomplishment in my opinion.
Yes, he's a bruiser. Over the years we've killed a few this hefty and even a bit bigger, but that's not the norm.
I definitely agree that large body and antler size or even age don't necessarily go together. Just going through this thread its amazing to see all the great bucks and all the variations in characteristics.

Roosiebull what an amazing buck! His cape is beautiful, did you mount him?
yeah, there was no way that buck wasn't getting shoulder mounted. he was pretty, big, and the scenario that unfolded in front of me was the coolest blacktail scenario i have seen to date.... one hot doe on Dec 3rd led to that buck and an epic encounter.

i have to talk myself out of shoulder mounting all of my bucks, they all have pretty and unique capes... i like euros a lot, but it's a shame to not use a blacktail cape.... elk, i assume euro them all, i have one shoulder mount, and it's kind of obnoxious, haha.... my 3 biggest bulls are euros, and i'll likely never shoulder mount another bull..... blacktail just make cool shoulder mounts!

i still only have 3, i euro most of them

can't seem to break this 3pt curse. still haven't found a big 4 in years but ill take a good mature deer when the opportunity arises.
dbf8eaf34f998098b2c43fe1d1816457.jpg
117c00140540e5c5805bb4551b52dc81.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

can't seem to break this 3pt curse. still haven't found a big 4 in years but ill take a good mature deer when the opportunity arises.
dbf8eaf34f998098b2c43fe1d1816457.jpg
117c00140540e5c5805bb4551b52dc81.jpg

you are regionally challenged, haha

in our area, there are little pockets of 4pt genetics, but it's rare to see an actual 4X4. more likely to find a 5+yr old forky, but 3 points rule the region. i have not got an actual 4X4 either, and only seen one killed out of all the bucks... some big 3's, some 3x4's, some oldy forkies and 2x3's

a classic 4pt buck in our region is just hard to come by... they are east of us, south of us, and north... i'm ok with it, i like big 3's

nice buck! i have got one chance at a big 4, and that was this year, but Murphey got me and i dropped the ball on a chip shot.

the one i missed was in the same drainage i took Mel to the last day, i'm certain that hers is a 3.5yr old buck with those crazy good genetics..... the one i missed is still alive, so there is that. sounds like we are moving down south to the border town coming up, but i will be making a trip back up here after the 20th of Oct next year for unfinished business ;)

you are regionally challenged, haha

in our area, there are little pockets of 4pt genetics, but it's rare to see an actual 4X4. more likely to find a 5+yr old forky, but 3 points rule the region. i have not got an actual 4X4 either, and only seen one killed out of all the bucks... some big 3's, some 3x4's, some oldy forkies and 2x3's

a classic 4pt buck in our region is just hard to come by... they are east of us, south of us, and north... i'm ok with it, i like big 3's

nice buck! i have got one chance at a big 4, and that was this year, but Murphey got me and i dropped the ball on a chip shot.

the one i missed was in the same drainage i took Mel to the last day, i'm certain that hers is a 3.5yr old buck with those crazy good genetics..... the one i missed is still alive, so there is that. sounds like we are moving down south to the border town coming up, but i will be making a trip back up here after the 20th of Oct next year for unfinished business ;)
well dang... regionally challenged hits the nail on the head Mike!
moving for work? I saw mels buck, its a stud!
the last couple yrs where I generally pole around deer numbers and buck numbers have slowly taken a dive. its sad.
I'm on the hunt for another area that holds better deer numbers and better genetics that works with my style of hunting.

well dang... regionally challenged hits the nail on the head Mike!
moving for work? I saw mels buck, its a stud!
the last couple yrs where I generally pole around deer numbers and buck numbers have slowly taken a dive. its sad.
I'm on the hunt for another area that holds better deer numbers and better genetics that works with my style of hunting.

just looking for a change in scenery, and of course higher game populations and less pressure doesn't suck!

i know how you feel, lots of good spots change for the worse... between the cats, people, and the rest of the environmental factors, it is sad. i have seen some really good areas take a dive.... it's a factor in moving to a new area.. i have spent a lot of time down there working, and it's a cool place to live if you like the things i like to do.... and the weather is nicer, which isn't a factor to me, but is to my wife and daughter... made the area an easy sale, haha.

also be the first time living close enough to turkey to go hunt them.... going to weneha in the spring to kill one of those turkey (again, unfinished business) but it will be cool living close to some turkey hunting.

turkey hunt mornings, bear hunt evenings in the spring

Malcolm31

FNG
Some incredible blacktail bucks in this thread. Congrats to the successful hunts.

One day I will get to chase them!