Blacktail on Montague

Sawdog

FNG
My brother is kicking around the idea of having me up for an October blacktail deer hunt on Montague Island in PWS. I have never been over there wondering if anyone here has hunted it.

Catchfish

WKR
I haven’t hunted montague but hunted in the sound and it has always rained or snowed on me. What are you guys planning on using for transport and shelter? Be prepared for extra time and to be wet. I’ve always wanted to hunt Monty but haven’t made it yet.

OP
S

Sawdog

FNG
Hes a hardcore bush pilot so we will fly out. I know its a rain-fest so preparing for wet. We will have a teepee with a stove and drying rack.

I haven’t hunted montague but hunted in the sound and it has always rained or snowed on me.

How did those hunts turn out?

I've hunted it.

The ground and vegetation will almost certainly be wet but there's a reasonably good chance for sunny skies. I've spent a lot of time out there in October wearing rubber boots, rain pants and a T shirt. Move slow, keep your eyes peeled and be ready for quick shots. I've killed a lot of deer after bumping them out of cover and waiting for them to stop and look back. If there are other hunters in the area it might be productive to sit and watch travel corridors. Many bucks will be up high but expect to find them anywhere.