Blacktail spot n stalk?

OP
V

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations! This is a solid deer. I have only hunted whitetail deer in open filed, but am looking to take a shot at coastal deer in Oregon, as my wife and I recently moved here. I am curious, in your hunting, did you see many (any) black bears too?
Thanks! I did see a sow and cub come out to feed in the late afternoon one day in mid October. That was it. I just drew a spring bear tag for the central coast this year so we'll see how that goes.... first time for me. Good luck to you and your wife. Welcome to the jungle!

OP
V

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome deer, did you get it at the location you had been hunting the whole time, or did you move on to a new location?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Nope, this buck was in a completely different unit I scouted preseason. It turned out to hold quite a few deer. A good reminder to not get obsessed with one area, have alternatives and be willing to bounce around. I think the first spot simply got too much pressure, as it was fairly easy to access with a short walk in. It was loaded with bucks in late summer but a ghost town after the general archery/rifle seasons started.

Thanks! I did see a sow and cub come out to feed in the late afternoon one day in mid October. That was it. I just drew a spring bear tag for the central coast this year so we'll see how that goes.... first time for me. Good luck to you and your wife. Welcome to the jungle!
Thanks and good luck to you on your bear hunt!

Another spot to look for them that often gets overlooked is out in the middle of the cuts during the mid day. We've found plenty of good bucks in the middle of the unit curled up under a viney maple patch. And they can be damn hard to spot there in the open!!! More than once it was just catching an ear twitch while looking through the glass. I've seen some of my biggest blacktail between 1-4 in the afternoon when many hunters have gone home after the morning hunt and haven't made it back yet for the evening hunt.
You are one of the only people I have heard make that claim, and you are right… 10am-1pm on clear days are when I kill most of my bucks… they are harder to spot than when they are up and moving, but bucks will bed in cuts on bluebird days when they aren’t supposed to be in the open.

This past season was the earliest I have killed a buck in a few years and it was almost 10am… that late morning is overlooked by most, and very glassing intensive time to find them… I wish I would have keyed in on that earlier, because I have hunted a couple bucks that eluded me, and I would often get out of the woods when the sun got high

OP
V

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
You are one of the only people I have heard make that claim, and you are right… 10am-1pm on clear days are when I kill most of my bucks… they are harder to spot than when they are up and moving, but bucks will bed in cuts on bluebird days when they aren’t supposed to be in the open.

This past season was the earliest I have killed a buck in a few years and it was almost 10am… that late morning is overlooked by most, and very glassing intensive time to find them… I wish I would have keyed in on that earlier, because I have hunted a couple bucks that eluded me, and I would often get out of the woods when the sun got high
Totally agree with this. As much time and energy as I spend getting to a particular spot well before daylight, most of my bucks have been killed late morning or midday, including the one this year at 3:00pm.
One exception was several years ago I was set up on a trail exiting a clearcut an hour before sunrise. A storm was rolling in and right at shooting time a group of deer walked nearly right over me before stopping. I was able to pop one nice forky at 5 yds. That was a high-pressured, newer clearcut without much cover so I don't think they were comfortable bedding there during the day. Now it's too overgrown to see anything so had to move on. It was a productive spot though over the years.

KnightOwl

FNG
New member here, starting with my favorite topic - blacktail bucks... particularly in the Oregon coast range.

Preseason scouting I found a good nob/vantage point that overlooks a network of clearcuts with reprod ranging from 1 - 6 years. Spent one morning and one evening up there recently and glassed up some good bucks. None of them were within comfortable shooting range (for me) but I could use the terrain, without having to cross any horrible drainages, and do a stalk.

This will be a new technique for me as I almost always still or stand hunt. Has it worked for you? Would love to see success stories/pics, along with any tips you may have for this particular way of hunting.

I have 10x42 meopta binos, a vortex razor 16-48 spotter and new (this year) tikka superlite all dialed in.

About a month to go!

Pessa
great idea and advice... thank you so much for sharing this..

Well to recap this season... I hunted that area hard probably 6 times and never saw a single deer. No idea what happened to all those bucks I saw in there late summer. Seems like every other place I went there were at least does.

Anyway, after screwing up a couple other opportunities on smaller bucks, and passing on a spike, I found this one last day hanging with a doe. Set up on a tree at 230 yds and dropped him with 2 shots. After further analysis I hit his heart and both lungs. First deer with the new Tikka.

Good way to end the season. I still have so much to learn though and continue to gain respect for these smart blacktail bucks.
View attachment 345659
That’s awesome! Nice buck!

Nope, this buck was in a completely different unit I scouted preseason. It turned out to hold quite a few deer. A good reminder to not get obsessed with one area, have alternatives and be willing to bounce around. I think the first spot simply got too much pressure, as it was fairly easy to access with a short walk in. It was loaded with bucks in late summer but a ghost town after the general archery/rifle seasons started.
Now you know and can use that to your advantage not investing too much into areas you know get beat up with pressure

I know the situation, I have seen it a lot… one year I found 3 really big bucks on accident leaving a camera up in a spot I set for lions… around mid June this bachelor group of bucks started walking by my camera… one was a pretty special deer, it was a stud 3 point, with double drop tines that were even symmetrical… it was an insane deer.

I have spent a ton of time in there and it’s busy, used to be good when the very back of the road system had good habitat and was 4.5-5.5 miles in, so I always had it to myself… that’s all grown up a long time ago and the best habitat is easy to access and I could never figure that buck out… I know he was around, but he was a ghost and I only found big sign randomly and not in feeding features.

I have watched a bunch of deer die in that area, but I never hunt it myself because the pressure keeps the mature bucks out of play… great place to take others, always see deer and after oct 20 I could usually find a decent buck most days, but a 3.5yr old 3 point is what’s expected

I have seen a couple big mature bucks over the years there, but usually in nasty weather… I don’t enjoy hunting it myself… I like to find big sign away from pressure, and slowly tighten the noose until I catch him making a mistake… that doesn’t work well in heavy pressure areas

Congrats on the buck, he’s a dandy!

Oregon

WKR
I've been hunting blacktail deer religiously since 1988.
There is some flat out gospel written in this thread. Heed the advice.
Great buck btw!!

Grundy53

WKR
I've definitely had my best luck for blacktails mid day. Especially the closer you get to Halloween.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

hypnolope

FNG
Yea thanks all for the input. Just moved to Coastal Washington - used to whitetail in Idaho and somewhat consistent just picking a spot and going and looking.

A little intimidated by the 'ghosts' comment, but knowing not to give up in the morning is a great thing to prepare for. Thanks!

OP
V

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
Yea thanks all for the input. Just moved to Coastal Washington - used to whitetail in Idaho and somewhat consistent just picking a spot and going and looking.

A little intimidated by the 'ghosts' comment, but knowing not to give up in the morning is a great thing to prepare for. Thanks!
Great time to start scouting and learning multiple areas to concentrate on once season starts. They are ghosts. I have personally seen them appear and/or dissappear out of thin air.

Last edited:

rom828q

FNG
Mostly tree stand hunt, but killed my first spot and stalk blacktail in 9 years with my bow during rifle season last year, but when I started hunting them that's all we did. I personally like walking logging roads and spurs in closed off areas, covering ground and glassing as I go. Preferably on a good rainy day for noise cover. If covering ground it's just critical you see them before they see you, and constantly check wind. For that reason, I also like hunting cuts where the trees are at least 4-5 feet tall or have large maples in to be able to sneak in on them. Of course, if there's multiple deer that becomes difficult too.