Blacktail spot n stalk?

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
New member here, starting with my favorite topic - blacktail bucks... particularly in the Oregon coast range.

Preseason scouting I found a good nob/vantage point that overlooks a network of clearcuts with reprod ranging from 1 - 6 years. Spent one morning and one evening up there recently and glassed up some good bucks. None of them were within comfortable shooting range (for me) but I could use the terrain, without having to cross any horrible drainages, and do a stalk.

This will be a new technique for me as I almost always still or stand hunt. Has it worked for you? Would love to see success stories/pics, along with any tips you may have for this particular way of hunting.

I have 10x42 meopta binos, a vortex razor 16-48 spotter and new (this year) tikka superlite all dialed in.

About a month to go!

Pessa

rickiesrevenge

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, thats how I did it in SE Alaska during the alpine season. The one tip I'd give you is get a bunch of easily identifiable landmarks before leaving your glassing spot. It will look a lot different not that far in. Here is one I took in the alpine a few years back

LgttQ4S.jpg

OP
V

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
Great tip! Amazing how in the heat of the moment you can forget things like that. Last season I failed to identify a landmark after heading out to find the buck I just shot. It was only a couple hundred yards away but for the life of me I could not find where he dropped. After about 30 minutes of grid searching I had to trek back up to where I shot from. Was able to walk right to him having that burnt stump as a reference.

Watch your wind and check it frequently especially as your thermals change during the day.
Be very quiet.
Its the worst feeling when you're rustling around in your pack for a snickers bar only to hear a wheeze and stomping behind you.
Bucks are mainly nocturnal so get into position as quietly as possible and be ready to go when the sun comes up.
Have an egress off the glassing knob that will hide your movement and noise.. even to go to the bathroom.
Cut shooting lanes and be able to get behind your rifle without fussing.
If you need to close the distance do it slowly and use the terrain to block your movements but also try to keep the deer in sight or know where he is before moving again.
Have different spots picked out and routes in you're head if you need to move to a different drainage.
Blacktails will vaporize and you may never see that buck again that year if you blow a stalk.
Sounds like you already did a good job scouting and finding the areas.

Like Rickie said put a piece of flagging on your glassing spot as a reference and always mark where you drop your pack..
pnwild had a good podcast on blacktails recently. Their guest was super dedicated.
Don't be afraid to get wet and hunt on nasty days.
Bring hand warmers and enjoy being in the woods.

OP
V

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
Good stuff Stucko. And I will definitely tune into that podcast. Thanks.

The most activity I've seen in this area was the one evening recently, within an hour before dark, 3 separate bachelor groups came out from different directions in the surrounding timber. The knob is conveniently located right in the center of a massive clearing, so lots of edge to scan. For morning hunts I would need to walk in through their feeding area to get up there and risking busting deer, so I think evenings would be ideal... Get in position well before dusk and wait for everything to settle down.

Whether any of those bucks will come out before dark during general rifle is another question. Maybe first evening of season there will be a chance. I always enjoy being out there regardless.

OP
V

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks! I'll report back if the plan actually works. Looking forward to seeing others' blacktail success stories and pics over the next couple months!

Another spot to look for them that often gets overlooked is out in the middle of the cuts during the mid day. We've found plenty of good bucks in the middle of the unit curled up under a viney maple patch. And they can be damn hard to spot there in the open!!! More than once it was just catching an ear twitch while looking through the glass. I've seen some of my biggest blacktail between 1-4 in the afternoon when many hunters have gone home after the morning hunt and haven't made it back yet for the evening hunt.

OP
V

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
That's awesome. So when you've glassed up these midday bucks are you covering every square foot of the cut or focusing on edges, shaded patches...? Are they primarily bedding in older, patchy reprod or the younger stuff too? I've been glassing more the last couple seasons but have yet to spot a buck bedded in a clearcut in the middle of the day, only mornings.

New member here, starting with my favorite topic - blacktail bucks... particularly in the Oregon coast range.

Preseason scouting I found a good nob/vantage point that overlooks a network of clearcuts with reprod ranging from 1 - 6 years. Spent one morning and one evening up there recently and glassed up some good bucks. None of them were within comfortable shooting range (for me) but I could use the terrain, without having to cross any horrible drainages, and do a stalk.

This will be a new technique for me as I almost always still or stand hunt. Has it worked for you? Would love to see success stories/pics, along with any tips you may have for this particular way of hunting.

I have 10x42 meopta binos, a vortex razor 16-48 spotter and new (this year) tikka superlite all dialed in.

About a month to go!

Pessa
not sure where you live/hunt, but regardless, it's a good way to get a buck killed. i hunt the oregon coast, and the clear cuts are not quiet to walk through, so stalking all the way to bow range can be a challenge.... no way to be quiet enough to close all of the distance, or the quiet path is too exposed to the deer.... sometimes you can work it out and sneak all of the way in.

more often for me, i will glass a buck, and watch it for awhile (if you have time) and figure out it's general direction of travel, and stalk into a position to intercept rather than stalking all the way into the shot.

if there is a way to sneak all of the way in, of course that's a good option, and often times there is, but if not, there are other options that work well..... stalk into an ambush that's close, but not shooting close. i have killed more bucks with my bow that way than any other. i utilize that for everything, not just deer.... dynamic ambush hunting.... it works

OP
V

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
Dynamic Ambush Hunting! I like it. This could be especially deadly in the morning when there is plently of time/daylight to get ahead of them, post up and wait. I suppose it also depends on the wind in relation to where the animal is heading.

I'm rifle hunting blacktail but the same idea would apply.... especially because I prefer to get close before taking a shot.

glass in the morning and figure out where they're bedding, then when you're sure they've bedded down and the wind has stabilized get down wind of them and get in as close as you can, then either shoot them bedded or wait for them to go to water or feed in the evening.

OP
V

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
Well to recap this season... I hunted that area hard probably 6 times and never saw a single deer. No idea what happened to all those bucks I saw in there late summer. Seems like every other place I went there were at least does.

Anyway, after screwing up a couple other opportunities on smaller bucks, and passing on a spike, I found this one last day hanging with a doe. Set up on a tree at 230 yds and dropped him with 2 shots. After further analysis I hit his heart and both lungs. First deer with the new Tikka.

Good way to end the season. I still have so much to learn though and continue to gain respect for these smart blacktail bucks.
20211111_195252.jpg

Bado20

FNG
Well to recap this season... I hunted that area hard probably 6 times and never saw a single deer. No idea what happened to all those bucks I saw in there late summer. Seems like every other place I went there were at least does.

Anyway, after screwing up a couple other opportunities on smaller bucks, and passing on a spike, I found this one last day hanging with a doe. Set up on a tree at 230 yds and dropped him with 2 shots. After further analysis I hit his heart and both lungs. First deer with the new Tikka.

Good way to end the season. I still have so much to learn though and continue to gain respect for these smart blacktail bucks.
View attachment 345659
What cartridge was the Tikka chambered in? what bullet were you shooting and how was the meat loss?

OP
V

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
270 win 150 gr core lokt. Once I can find them, I'll switch back to 130 gr barnes.

He was slightly quartered toward me so there was some meat loss on the front left shoulder. I've been shooting an older 270 weatherby vanguard for 12 years now, but I wanted something lighter for the longer 2-8 mile hike ins.

Good deal and thanks for the follow up. Blacktails are a very difficult deer to hunt successfully, and do it year after year.

Bado20

FNG
270 win 150 gr core lokt. Once I can find them, I'll switch back to 130 gr barnes.

He was slightly quartered toward me so there was some meat loss on the front left shoulder. I've been shooting an older 270 weatherby vanguard for 12 years now, but I wanted something lighter for the longer 2-8 mile hike ins.
Makes sense. I have a Bergara that comes out for a lot of my deer hunting but when I hit the mountains I seem to grab my Tikka just for the weight savings.

About a month to go!

Pessa

View attachment 345659
Congratulations! This is a solid deer. I have only hunted whitetail deer in open filed, but am looking to take a shot at coastal deer in Oregon, as my wife and I recently moved here. I am curious, in your hunting, did you see many (any) black bears too?

Bendejo

Lil-Rokslider

View attachment 345659
Awesome deer, did you get it at the location you had been hunting the whole time, or did you move on to a new location?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk