Blacktail trail cam thread 2021

Marble

WKR
I would love to see what other bucks people are seeing on their cameras. I really enjoy seeing the phtotos, especially the ones that catch other animals you dont expect.

I've got photos from this spring through current day of a few bucks. Here's a few. I'll share more as time goes on.

I've got two cameras I havent checked. Probably be a few weeks and I can add some more.
79200b733d6be6c0c1bd47673d515387.jpg
d32993c138bae16c6b038dd5cc76d193.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Antares

WKR
Cool idea for a thread @Marbles! I’ve got a camera set out right now (in Kodiak) that I’m pretty excited to check in a few weeks.

Edit: I might steal your idea and start a Sitka blacktail trail camera thread if I get anything cool. Or someone else should do that if they already have some cool pics this year. I’m getting pumped for Aug 1. Would love to see some AK pics.

Last edited:

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Cool idea for a thread @Marbles! I’ve got a camera set out right now (in Kodiak) that I’m pretty excited to check in a few weeks.

Edit: I might steal your idea and start a Sitka blacktail trail camera thread if I get anything cool. Or someone else should do that if they already have some cool pics this year. I’m getting pumped for Aug 1. Would love to see some AK pics.

No s on the thread starters handle. As in he is as sold as marble while I've lost my marbles. 😉

OP
M

Marble

WKR
I've had these bucks on camera for 3 years. The one is super wide but won't give me a good picture this year.
You need to tilt that camera down!!! Or get a second one. I bought three of wildview cameras at sportsman for $120 on sale. They actually work great. I've been using cameras for years and its amazing what we used to have and what it is now.

Either way...I'd kill either of the bucks in the picture.

OP
M

Marble

WKR
No s on the thread starters handle. As in he is as sold as marble while I've lost my marbles.
Lol. Idk man. The last few months have been rough. My family and hunting is the only thing redeeming...not that that is really any different than before.

Less than a month to archery...

OP
M

Marble

WKR
Just something to assist with your trail camera activity. This year I am keeping a paper calender with times bucks are coming to the camera. Be interesting to see what other find.

For the last several years I found the bucks primarily come to water mid-day. During this time of year and even after the shed their velvet, I get more bucks on camera between 10 and 2 then any other time. I get the second most just before dark with the deer coming to water later and later as they shed and the temps cool.

I get the least amount of buck activity in the morning. And if I do, it's after 9 generally.

OP
M

Marble

WKR
A single doe with two little fawns.
0b8a99f5de1a22bbbd0bdc51d55e46d2.jpg

JNDEER

WKR
Just something to assist with your trail camera activity. This year I am keeping a paper calender with times bucks are coming to the camera. Be interesting to see what other find.

For the last several years I found the bucks primarily come to water mid-day. During this time of year and even after the shed their velvet, I get more bucks on camera between 10 and 2 then any other time. I get the second most just before dark with the deer coming to water later and later as they shed and the temps cool.

I get the least amount of buck activity in the morning. And if I do, it's after 9 generally.

I think it’s so unit specific (A or B) and location specific it won’t translate over to other areas. Especially if the spring or water if close or far to actual bedding/feeding area. I ran a cam on a small spring in B for a few years. Biggest bucks hit it early morning. Bigger bucks never hit the spring, but I would get them late at night on trails above the spring. When a bear started to hit the spring early in the year- no deer came to the spring until late in the year when the bear was gone.

i gave up tying to find patterns for blacktail I could use in other areas and units and just started treating each area as new and unknown.

I don’t have any cam pics this year - just stating my past experiences.

OP
M

Marble

WKR
I think it’s so unit specific (A or B) and location specific it won’t translate over to other areas. Especially if the spring or water if close or far to actual bedding/feeding area. I ran a cam on a small spring in B for a few years. Biggest bucks hit it early morning. Bigger bucks never hit the spring, but I would get them late at night on trails above the spring. When a bear started to hit the spring early in the year- no deer came to the spring until late in the year when the bear was gone.

i gave up tying to find patterns for blacktail I could use in other areas and units and just started treating each area as new and unknown.

I don’t have any cam pics this year - just stating my past experiences.

Interesting for sure. Be nice if a biologist would be here to chime in.

I've used my cameras primarily in three locations. B zone at around 3500', C at I think 5000' and a private ranch at 500, B zone. All on water sources.

All of them had similar patterns.

After shedding velvet, their patterns changed to primarily night time watering. During velvet, they primarily watered during the day.

What also occurs during the velvet shed time period where I hunt, is hunting pressure goes from nothing to pretty much max. So you can't say the velvet loss causes a nocturnal switch definitively.

On another topic. I am waiting to see if 2 specific bucks are still in the area I hunt. One was a big and wide 3x4. Probably 25" conservatively. The other would be a 5.5 year old forked horn with funky antlers that walks like a crab. 5.5 would be a minimum age based on trail camera picks. Thiswould bethe 4th year in camera. Prior pictures show a large scar on his side.

I'll check all my cameras this weekend.

Blacktailaddiction

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome thread! I should have pics soon, kind of focused on bears right now, and planning to start patterning bucks for archery season after I find a bear or two. Had a spike on public land grazing 15 yards from me and my running vehicle today while looking a bear spots, doubt he’ll last long when rifle starts, good ol Oregon. Looking forward to adding my pictures and seeing others!

JohnnyB

WKR
I’ve had one camera on a spring in d5 at around 8200’. I have several different bucks coming in between 10:00am and noon. There are also bucks using it nocturnally.

My other 7 cams aren’t near water but I may change one or two to see if this holds true on other water holes.

OP
M

Marble

WKR
Awesome thread! I should have pics soon, kind of focused on bears right now, and planning to start patterning bucks for archery season after I find a bear or two. Had a spike on public land grazing 15 yards from me and my running vehicle today while looking a bear spots, doubt he’ll last long when rifle starts, good ol Oregon. Looking forward to adding my pictures and seeing others!
When I pull one of my cameras this weekend, I fully expect more bears than deer. I'll be sure to include a few for you.

riversidejeep

Lil-Rokslider
I pulled all 3 of my camera's yesterday, I think after 2 months I have a good idea what's in the area so I'll deploy they elsewhere. I have noticed in the last 3 weeks that the deer seem to be coming more nocturnal. The 2 biggest bucks seem to have vacated, I was very careful not to disturb them but I have an idea were they're hiding.

Attachments

• mineral spring 2021 8.JPG
    mineral spring 2021 8.JPG
    388.4 KB · Views: 75
  • saddle 2021 2.JPG
    saddle 2021 2.JPG
    440.7 KB · Views: 75
  • rock 2021 1.JPG
    rock 2021 1.JPG
    414.7 KB · Views: 75

SOJ51

FNG
This is an awesome thread! Cool to see what deer people are catching poking around their property