Blacktail Wa?

OP
Jason277

Jason277

WKR
You can buy surplus multi season tags in August. I didn't draw one last year . I bought one of the left overs. I like the option to hunt all the seasons.

I hunt blacktail in WA every year and have killed several nice 3 points. Multi season is clutch to have. My advice is to hunt every day you can from Sept 1 to Dec 31 if you're serious about taking a nice blacktail buck. Time in the field is the key IMO.

landis07

FNG
what GMUs do most of you guys hunt? I'm usually 454, 460

I’m a GMU 448 guy modern is definitely the best timing then would be late muzzy as that’s post rut and you catch them napping
Big timber or alder slashes are key
12b031857182e0deccac8c0fad10e34d.jpg

And cuts with big timber edges work too
d12b6f339f635b4bf7b1d593973076a8.jpg

7layerburrito

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
That's an awesome buck -- 448 isn't easy hunting. Are you still hunting through the rut or are you doing little bits of calling, rattling, etc?

OP
Jason277

Jason277

WKR
I’m a GMU 448 guy modern is definitely the best timing then would be late muzzy as that’s post rut and you catch them napping
Big timber or alder slashes are key
12b031857182e0deccac8c0fad10e34d.jpg

And cuts with big timber edges work too
d12b6f339f635b4bf7b1d593973076a8.jpg
That is a heavy buck!! Nice Work!!

landis07

FNG
That's an awesome buck -- 448 isn't easy hunting. Are you still hunting through the rut or are you doing little bits of calling, rattling, etc?

By the 29th-30th of October the bucks up high are really pushing Does so I have areas that I target Doe bedding areas and more then not there’s bucks working those areas hard
The first buck that I’m holding is a timber buck and that’s what he was doing was cruising Doe bedding area
Second buck came racing through the cut to intercept some does
So find Doe areas = Bucks

very happy to be able to feed deer now since the farms and orchards near me are hardto compete with! my wife will hunt a tree stand in sept and hope she gets her first deer. I was drawn for multi but im waiting to see about special tag drawings before i buy it. i should have enough quality buck points for late tag in grayback or west klickitat.

landis07

FNG
I think for Washington blacktail a multi season tag is as good or better then a special draw if you are able to hunt all 3 weapon choices or in my case modern and muzzy is where it’s at

Harrott

FNG
I hunt them during archery season in some big timber near Snoqualmie pass. There are some good ones up there.

Harrott

FNG
Oh nice! What hunting style are you using? Stand, spot stalk, Still hunting?
Still hunting. In the big timber I traverse ridges staying about 3/4 the way up the ridge. You will catch their movement as the feed up to their bed in the late morning.

Hopefully this puts you slightly above the deers’ bed. And the late morning/afternoon thermals will give you ample time to stalk in for the shot. The ground in the big timber tends to be soft because of all of the duff. Makes for a fun hunt!

Harrott

FNG
Wow that does sound pretty awesome. Do you run into a lot of other guys out there? Sorry for all the questions.
There is an influx of hunters on the roads during during archery elk season. I’ve never run into any hunters in the woods though. I go about a mile in.