Blacktail Wa?

Lots of good info in this thread! I hunt the WA coast and occasionally the Peninsula. I’ve had some success, but mostly using typical tactics on timber company land. I love the high buck hunt as well, but unfortunately it interferes with archery elk so haven’t done it for a few years.

I’d like to get more proficient at still hunting. I’ve used it a bit, but it’s hard to find the right age class timber to move through quietly enough around me.

Harott - wondering if you’d share a bit more what kind of elevations and tactics as well as indicators you’re looking for when finding still hunting spots.

I think true public-land blacktail is one of the hardest hunts in WA. There isn’t much timber harvest and. it seems like the animals are few and far between. There are some monsters up there though and I’m sure many that will never be seen by human eyes.

Harrott

FNG
Lots of good info in this thread! I hunt the WA coast and occasionally the Peninsula. I’ve had some success, but mostly using typical tactics on timber company land. I love the high buck hunt as well, but unfortunately it interferes with archery elk so haven’t done it for a few years.

I’d like to get more proficient at still hunting. I’ve used it a bit, but it’s hard to find the right age class timber to move through quietly enough around me.

Harott - wondering if you’d share a bit more what kind of elevations and tactics as well as indicators you’re looking for when finding still hunting spots.

I think true public-land blacktail is one of the hardest hunts in WA. There isn’t much timber harvest and. it seems like the animals are few and far between. There are some monsters up there though and I’m sure many that will never be seen by human eyes.
Sure Mike,

My area that I hunt is around 3400 feet. I’ll try to find big timber on a ridge that is fairly open in the understory. I can usually see 50-150 yards in most directions. I stay on the top half of the ridge in the morning. Still hunting while traversing from finger ridge to finger ridge.

As i approach the top of a finger ridge I slow way down and scan my entire area with each step. Each step at the top reveals a ton of new space. I’ll stop at the top for a bit and if I don’t see anything promising the I’ll bust over to the next finger ridge and repeat the process.

I see most deer bedding down around 8 o 9 in the morning. If you don’t see anything right away don’t be discouraged.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot - that is really helpful info! Does it seem to matter if there are meadows/openings/cuts nearby?

Any other features to help narrow down an area to start?

I really like working the timber - I just need to learn to slow down and glass more. That’s a good elevation range for the areas I had in mind.

slsplets

FNG
Another who drew a multi season tag here. Just enjoy being out there. Prefer the archery season, but the modern season does lend itself to bucks with one thing on their mind...
Good luck to all of you!

landis07

FNG
Another who drew a multi season tag here. Just enjoy being out there. Prefer the archery season, but the modern season does lend itself to bucks with one thing on their mind...
Good luck to all of you!

And with a multi season tag the late muzzy season is awesome too

JP3

FNG
Great advice and info. Thanks! I think the high hunt with modern is awesome, but it overlaps with archery elk, so I haven’t hunted it the last two seasons. It’s definitely different than my normal experiences hunting archery or modern in 437/407 closer to where I live.

SquirrelyDan

Lil-Rokslider
I primarily hunt 407 Archery. Have had good success the last few years. Here is a video of some of the fawns i have on the property i hunt. Sure is neat to see these little guys.

So far, luck lol! I really want to get one still hunting in mountain timber. Where I live, Most hunt clear cuts or alpine basins. I’ve had the most luck just coming across deer between spots hiking around.

Reactions: JP3

landis07

FNG
I personally use every method from run and gun which is move spot to spot glassing and moving which I primarily use during the last few days of our general season when they’re starting to rut hard
Beginning of the season I creep the big timber as slow as a snail glassing constantly
Mid season I glass big steep cuts ( I don’t like flat clearcuts for big mature blacktail) usually glassing the outside edges of cuts first then working my way to the center
I don’t think sticking to one style of hunting is wise as they change throughout the month
The only way I shoot a buck the first week is if he is a true toad of a buck as I enjoy chasing mature big bucks and yes I do horn hunt as nothing beats either outsmarting a big buck or getting bested by him
Jake

AgentVenom

Lil-Rokslider
I took one Blacktail in Hunting three years in Western Washington. I was trying to use saddles to ambush elk but took a Blacktail as a consolation prize second to last day of a seven day hunt. I didn’t want to get skunked again, so I’m not exactly an expert by any stretch on this topic.

swiley

FNG
I also drew the multi season tag and hoping to finally get a blacktail. I’ve never been fortunate to get a blacktail, so hopefully this is the year. I predominantly hunt 572 during modern but I’m going to try to get out during every season this year and try some different tactics.

OP
Jason277

Jason277

WKR
I took one Blacktail in Hunting three years in Western Washington. I was trying to use saddles to ambush elk but took a Blacktail as a consolation prize second to last day of a seven day hunt. I didn’t want to get skunked again, so I’m not exactly an expert by any stretch on this topic.
How do you like the saddle option?

AgentVenom

Lil-Rokslider
Stalk hunting and saddles are my go to when I’m hunting an area I’m not 100% familiar with. Saddles with areas that seem to support game is easy to spot using just topo maps and satellite images. It worked great those three years... for deer. Elk I saw some when doing a couple week end scouts but nothing during season.

OP
Jason277

Jason277

WKR
Stalk hunting and saddles are my go to when I’m hunting an area I’m not 100% familiar with. Saddles with areas that seem to support game is easy to spot using just topo maps and satellite images. It worked great those three years... for deer. Elk I saw some when doing a couple week end scouts but nothing during season.
You no longer live in Washington?