Bladder options in backpacks - easy to access your bladder and not too squashed?

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
For those of you who are bladder guys, how do you run your bladder in your pack (what options are out there)? I just used a MR Metcalf and while the pouch for the bladder is very roomy, it is hard to access (to fill, or to see how much is left). My hunting buddy was using the new Exo K3 4800 with the bladder pouch on the outside, but he still found that it was hard to get to the bladder when the bag was full (as the stuff in the bag itself pressed on the outside bladder pouch). What other pack options are out there? It seems like you could have a pouch outside of the bag and maybe between the bag and load shelf, but then that might be a pain if you are using the load shelf. Any feedback of what would work if there's not a great solution already out there?

Of all the ways I tried to run a bladder I haven’t found a better way than just laying it on top of all my gear after my bag is packed. Easy to access, no worry about smashing it with gear or when cinching down a load, less need to suck the tube since it’s almost a gravity flow. Occasionally I’ll put it in my Guide Lid and it works the same way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Of all the ways I tried to run a bladder I haven’t found a better way than just laying it on top of all my gear after my bag is packed. Easy to access, no worry about smashing it with gear or when cinching down a load, less need to suck the tube since it’s almost a gravity flow. Occasionally I’ll put it in my Guide Lid and it works the same way.

Great idea. Any concern about rupture and getting stuff inside wet? I *think* that's one of the reasons that Exo has a separate pouch. Guess if on top there is less pressure on it, and it wouldn't be a big deal for me because I pack some stuff in a liner in my bag (down stuff, including sleeping bag) and would probably put my puffy on top of the bladder.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

No worries at all about it leaking on my gear when it’s just laying on top. Actually had a bladder and drink tube separate on me in my pack while traveling from OK to CO one year. Soaked everything in my pack. That’s what pushed me into the “on top” carry method.

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
I use a quick disconnect on the mouthpiece tube and use the sawyer squeeze to fill it. By doing this I don’t have to take the bladder out of the pack to fill it. Super easy and convenient

^ this in an Exo 5500

JDB9818

WKR
I use a quick disconnect on the mouthpiece tube and use the sawyer squeeze to fill it. By doing this I don’t have to take the bladder out of the pack to fill it. Super easy and convenient

Any chance someone could post a picture of this modification?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I made a sleeve for my bladder so it hangs from the stays between the main bag and the frame on my kuiu pack.

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
Two ways. Sawyer sells a quick disconnect kit. I have a Platypus Evo that uses a bigger tube so the kit didn’t work. I bought a second Platypus and robbed the quick connect. Platypus hose connects at the top of the bladder so I disconnect my hose there and connect sawyer on a long hose to fill. No removal required.

The kit is easy if you have the standard one size. You cut your hose a couple inches from the mouthpiece and put a quick connect inline. Mouthpiece off, sawyer on, fill.

jog

FNG
I went the super simple route and when I pack my bag the 1st thing is my extra shirt on top the bladder and I don't go crazy cinching down the load- I mean how tight does it have to get unless you are trying to compress a load that will not fit and then maybe the bladder needs to get moved outboard no big deal. I liked the sawyer refill via the tube method...
FYI I am generally a day hunter so my pack load reflects that until I am hauling meat.

This is what I do, lay it right on top.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
^ this in an Exo 5500

For those of you who refill using the quick disconnect, do you ever have problems knowing if you have completely refilled the bladder - if you have a full pack? My buddy said he tried this approach in the military and with a full pack, it is hard to fill it completely when all the other stuff is pushing on it.

Sportsman

Lil-Rokslider
For those of you who refill using the quick disconnect, do you ever have problems knowing if you have completely refilled the bladder - if you have a full pack? My buddy said he tried this approach in the military and with a full pack, it is hard to fill it completely when all the other stuff is pushing on it.

I only have a full pack on the way in and out to a spike camp and I fill the bladder before filling the pack. I'm hunting with my main pack but just water, game bags, snacks, etc - no where near full. But with my hunting load, it's easy to fill in camp without removing my hunting gear or snacks.

I have placed it in one of the outside sleeves before (EXO 5500) and that would work to refill with a full pack. That works fine with archery if I don't have a tripod and spotting scope. Bugle tube goes in other side.

This year on my exo I put the bladder in the left sleeve on the outside of my pack. Worked really well and was easy to take out to refill without having to get into the pack.

ridgefire

WKR
I keep mine in my water bladder sleeve in my DT2 and can fill it without taking it out. I just feel it with my hand to find out when it's full. I have 3L Source bladder and a Katadyn filter and it works great.