Bladder water that doesn't taste like...

Wrench

WKR
What's a guy have to do to make a camelback not taste like a bucket of ass holes? I think the plastic taste I could deal with, but how in the actual hell can I clean it enough to no make me leave it at home?

scp

Lil-Rokslider
Mint denture cleaner. Seriously. Get some Efferdent tabs, fill the bladder with hot water, drop in a few of the tabs and let them sit overnight. Plastic smell and taste gone. Also works to clean your bladder when it gets a little funky.

netman

WKR
Thanks for asking this question. My camelback is fairly new and has a terrible taste.
Will try what scp suggested.

isu22andy

WKR
Has anyone tried throwing some propel or other water flavorer in on top of your water ? Hows it work ?

SWOHTR

WKR
Good question, and one that I just learned to deal with. I found I don’t mind the taste when I’m parched. Also, taste mellows out over time with uses.

Another option is a water bottle.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've been using the same military grade Camelbak for the past 15 years, and I don't notice any "taste", but I never put anything in it except water........and then water a little bleach every year to clean it out before the season.

Wash and dry. Oxyclean occasionally followed by starsan or distilled white vinegar to get rid of residue from the oxyclean. Get a cleaning kit with the long skinny brush for the hose.

Use baking soda to clean inside of your bladder.
At work (construction), we clean our igloo coolers with baking soda, works great. I use baking soda on my dromedry bags as well.

Put a few tablespoons in the bag, fill 1/4 way or so with water then agitate violently. Run some of the water through your tube and bite valve. Rinse a bunch then fill with your drinking water.

You are welcome...

OP
W

Wrench

WKR
I pulled a drink last year and it was a acidic, dirty, make you barf now kind of drink. I ended up tearing the drink tube apart, forcing a strand of para cord through and pulling knotted para soaked in aqua mira acid to clean it on the side of the mountain.

I personally hate bladders and hoses but they're the only way to get through September.

I have not tried the sawyer tube, does it help?

I didn't get the bite valve clean and I'm sure it molded. That's all my fault. I never put anything but water with the exception of auqamira drops to kill anything in it.

I've taken to packing some dry bleach pellets to kill any funk that lives in it....but the denture cleaner is on my to do list.

Thanks.

LaHunter

WKR
I've been using a Camelbak milspec 3L bladder for about the past 5 years and never noticed an odd taste. Maybe that's just me.
I washed it out good with soap & water before the first use and only put water in it.
No drink mixes. These can be food for bacteria, especially if they have any sugar / carbs.
Also, when done with it I clean it with soap & water really good (bladder, hose, & mouth piece) and hang to dry completely before putting it up. Sometimes I will also use the Camelbak cleaning tabs in addition to the soap. The hose can take days to get completely dry. If you put it up wet, you are asking for trouble.

gledeasy

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not a fan of the taste using a camel back either. I could deal with it; however, the heartburn it would give me was absolutely too much to stand.

I just pack water bottles now. May need to try the platypus.

Rich M

WKR
Vinegar and baking soda.

Clean it out and then use it. Don;t go back washing into the tube.

I have some water bottles that go nasty real quick, just need to keep em clean and bacteria free.

MattB

WKR
Never had that problem with my Camelbacks. After use I blow into the bite valve to empty the water out of the tube and then put a bent up hanger in through the zip to prop the bag open so it can air dry. Haven't cleaned either it in 7-8 years I have owned them.

arrowjunkie

Lil-Rokslider
The taste mellows out over time from my experience. Make sure to get it bone dry after use and cleaning.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04