Bladders

2ski

WKR
So, dug out my ski pack out of storage yesterday and I seem to have forgot I had a couple Clif bars in it that some mice decided would make a pretty good meal. One of them was completely gone, while the lemon one was still fully intact and the wrapper was not chewed on at all. So, side note, mice don't like lemon flavored stuff I guess. Anyway, my camelbak bladder was at the bottom of the pack with the lid off so when I took it out...mice turds inside the bladder. I know I could clean it out, but the mental image is going to stick with me everytime I use it, and I'll wonder if I cleaned it out good enough. So I'm thinking of buying a new bladder now. My question is what is everyone's opinion on bladder brands. It wasn't that long ago that camelbak was the only game out there. Now there's a bunch of options...camelbak, MSR, Platypus, Osprey, Eberle, Badlands, ect. What do you guys like, or more specifically, what don't you like and why?

The MSR's are pretty much bombproof. I have also had good experiences with Camelbak, but honestly their lid closure system is wearing on me. The Platypus Big Zip has not had any problems in the year or so I have had it, and filling it is as easy as submerging it in water.

gulicemo

Banned
I used an MSR Dromendary last year with no problems. The only gripe I have is when it's full, the small spout that flips up pours really slowly, but if you screw the smaller top off, it is hard to control the flow. I have a 4 liter for which I'm going to get a hose kit and keep full time in my pack, and I'll also pick up another 6 liter for camp water. 10 Liters should last me a couple days without having to get water.

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
The source tactical hydration reservoir has lasted six seasons and is still going strong without funk. I also bring along a 20oz gatorade bottle and platypus bags for clean water storage. Sawyer bags for dirty water. My msr dromedary is a tough bag but it develops a funk so I leave it in the truck.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have Camelbacks, Platys, and MSR.

They are all pretty decent, IMO. The only one I have had leak were a couple of the Camelbacks, but I know some folks have had trouble with Platys too. The MSRs are really tough, but I wish they were easier to fill and clean. The Platys are awesome that way.

Craig4791

WKR
I prefer the big zip platy bladders. Never had one leak yet but have had both camelback and badlands bladders leak on me at the fill screw on cap.

Xtorminator

Lil-Rokslider
I use The Source 3L in my pack and hang a MSR Dromlite in camp. I didn't like how the hose attached to the MSR. Just to bulky.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
MSR Dromlite and Dromedary. I've used tons of brands and these are just bomb proof. Very happy with MSR