Blaze Orange

Geewhiz

WKR
Honestly I like my blaze orange to be functionless a far as layering goes, as opposed to being an actual layer that you have to keep on regardless. I prefer the cheap paper thin vests. What I would not like is a jacket or vest that has insulation and such that I cannot take off if I want to.

Poser

WKR
An Orange hat based on the OR swift (light, breathable, compact, holds it shape after being compressed, doesn’t hold water. The functional Orange hat selection is just pathetic.
PATHETIC.

Orange baselayers tops in all configurations: hoods, quarter zips etc.

I find blaze Orange to be the most problematic when adding or dropping layers. You already have to deal with your bino harness -adding and removing 2 pieces just to drop or add a puffy. It’s all a PITA.

But let’s be real. Brands like KUIU, Sitka and FL have all of the consumer data on hunters that any brand could have. One can only conclude that their market research shows that hunters won’t buy Orange because it’s not perceived as cool. That being said, many hunters must wear Orange hats and there no work around equivalent to a vest. Give the people your technical headware in blaze Orange. It’s should be done, it must be done.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
An Orange hat based on the OR swift (light, breathable, compact, holds it shape after being compressed, doesn’t hold water. The functional Orange hat selection is just pathetic.
PATHETIC.

Orange baselayers tops in all configurations: hoods, quarter zips etc.

I find blaze Orange to be the most problematic when adding or dropping layers. You already have to deal with your bino harness -adding and removing 2 pieces just to drop or add a puffy. It’s all a PITA.

But let’s be real. Brands like KUIU, Sitka and FL have all of the consumer data on hunters that any brand could have. One can only conclude that their market research shows that hunters won’t buy Orange because it’s not perceived as cool. That being said, many hunters must wear Orange hats and there no work around equivalent to a vest. Give the people your technical headware in blaze Orange. It’s should be done, it must be done.
Yep simple cost benefit analysis tells them no blaze orange for full line items. I’d only buy orange if they had it.

wyodan

WKR
I wouldn't mind seeing a nice blaze camo beanie or stormy kromer hat.

OP
justinspicher
Right now I have a baselayer hoody by Ibex and outerwear by Patagonia. I personally feel that the top camo brands need to get their shit together.

twall13

WKR
I've gotten tired of removing/adding an orange vest as I shed or add layers in the field. It seems like a stupid annoyance but it's been bothering me more and more over the last few years. So I've started replacing a few pieces so they are all orange and I don't have to swap the vest in the process too. As mentioned above, I already have to remove/put on the bino harness when adding/shedding most layers (I keep the bino harness under the rain jacket or puffy so it's less changes), I don't want to do the vest too.

I have a blaze orange synthetic QZ from Orvis I used a bit this year but I wish it was First Lite or Voormi merino. I've used a Kryptek Sherpa/Cronos Hoodie for the last 5 years and really like that mid layer (very similar to the First Lite Klamath, but it actually has thumb holes as well). It's a camo blaze so not legal in every state but it is in Utah. That's one of the few solid pieces I've found that work just like I want in blaze. With those two layers I'm really just left with the puffy to deal with no blaze. I also had to swap the orange vest to add a rain coat a few times this year but otherwise it worked fairly well. I just picked up an Eddie Bauer Microtherm 2.0 puffy in their safety orange color. After receiving it I really like the fit but I can already tell it's not going to be warm enough for most situations when rifle hunting so I'm still searching as well. I'll have to check out some of the options listed above.

But yes, I do wish more quality hunting brands offered their standard options in Blaze. If they did I'd likely own a set in camo and another in blaze for the primary upper layers. I've thought about just buying a Marsupial harness in Blaze and use that instead of orange layers/vests, but I don't think it has enough sq. inches so I'm still a out of luck. I may think more on that option though, as I do have an Orange Aglow blaze panel on my pack. Together that might be enough until I take off my pack...

Vaultman

WKR
I bought a blaze Sherman pocket and like that for my back. A blaze bino harness on front would be enough for me.
Still wear a vest for the front. I guess if a good fitting functional hat came out I may ditch the vest, but the good about a vest to me is the never seem to add to much heat , bulk, or loss of function. Sometimes I just don't want a hat on.
I used to have blaze jacket (and pants that never got worn) but didn't like having to keep it on when it got warm.

Not a fan of the white elastic strap closure in the back, but the only technical type orange hat material I could easily find. Decent hat,

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
Sitka makes some great functional orange hats but on vests, I want simple, no seed picker, and light w minimal water retention. And a vest, not a strapper bib, and a zipper, not a clip.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I prefer a cheap blaze orange vest or something that I will ONLY wear when required while hunting. I don't need or want a bunch of other clothes in blaze orange that I'll never use except hunting.

sndmn11

WKR
I have had a Sunday Afternoon hat in my cart a few times, but can't bring myself to spend $50 on a hat. I use the $10 orange aglow vest and a $10 mesh flex fit from Amazon.

jd1006

WKR
You can find some decent orange options in non-hunting brands. I have a light brooks running jacket that works well for blocking wind, dwr, and is breathable. I have a OR Swift cap in orange that keeps the head cool. I like Filson’s low profile blaze hat. Orvis has some options that are more upland oriented, but have good features. I think the FL Catalyst Vest in Blaze is the cats meow for vests. The stratus vest from sitka definitely is premium, but it has that fuzzy fleece that is a magnet for seeds/burrs, etc.

Poser

WKR
You can find some decent orange options in non-hunting brands. I have a light brooks running jacket that works well for blocking wind, dwr, and is breathable. I have a OR Swift cap in orange that keeps the head cool. I like Filson’s low profile blaze hat. Orvis has some options that are more upland oriented, but have good features. I think the FL Catalyst Vest in Blaze is the cats meow for vests. The stratus vest from sitka definitely is premium, but it has that fuzzy fleece that is a magnet for seeds/burrs, etc.

I bought that OR Swift hat in Orange, too, but with the mesh sides being black, not sure if it is a legal hat. Thought I might try spray painting the mesh, but haven’t gotten around to it.