Blaze Orange

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Companies are missing out there is a market for orange camo blended accessories, hats beanies small packs kryptek has a few items for this and I see kuiu offered a small orange pack this year

I really like the Kuiu flexfix delta blaze hat. I wear mine on my daily runs and it looks like I've taken it to Mars and back.

I bought a blaze orange down puffy from Eddie Bauer that I throw on when I stop to glass.

The only piece I'm missing is a technical vest in blaze. I just use the cheap ones for now.

OP
justinspicher
I ended up picking up a puffy in blaze orange from Patagonia today. I am also looking at some baselayer pieces from minus33 and Icebreaker.

Vandy321

WKR
Filson had a pretty nice blaze trucker hat...if someone has one, PM me please. Want one for birds.

For the elk woods/rifle season, Stormy Kormer insulated orange is a winner.

Running company saucony had a synthetic hyperlite? shirt that was great for high output / warm activities. Got discontinued. Was great because you strip off all layers during high exertion without having to where a damned vest. Would love to see kuiu boonies hat in blaze oramge. Baseball caps don't cut when you are trying to avoid getting ears burnt from being out all day. Buff used to make blaze orange but have discontinued. I always have one on on top of pack in case I have to ditch it for a stalk.

Thats OK.......Walmart is making billions of dollars...yes, billions selling blaze orange garments that are actually decent in quality and not too bad on pricing for what you get. They understand the needs. Too bad the "cool" companies aren't as smart as the corporate sales ladies at Walmart. Sad, but true.

I bought a Columbia Tech Trail full zip hoodie in orange that’s a grid fleece. Been happy with it it.

Poser

WKR
I actually wish the requirement was dropped for anyone 18+ I'm an adult i don't need the state telling me how to dress for my safety.

I could probably be swayed either way as I don’t really have an especially strong opinion on wearing Orange during hunting season. That being said, here is an interesting data point from CO:

20-21: 37 avalanche fatalities (unusually high number as the annual average is 6)

20-21: I believe there were 2 hunting fatalities

You are not required to wear an avalanche beacon or have avalanche safety gear or training to enter the backcountry and people have died In avalanches in all 12 months of the year in CO. You are required to wear Orange and have taken a hunter safety course to hunt. 292 avalanche fatalities in CO since 1950.

Ironically I think I looked at some hunting clothing with RECCO the other day. I thought it was a little odd

TheGDog

WKR
I only have an Orange vortex cap I carry in the side-pocket. We don't have to wear Orange here, so I only bust out the cap and shove it tween the pack and it's frame so it sticks up like a flag if I'm on a hillside glassing, so somebodies stupid 15yo girl doesn't point a high powered rifle dead-on at me again.

Then... and... if I get an animal down, I switch over to the orange cap for extra safety, especially on the pack-out.

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
I actually wish the requirement was dropped for anyone 18+ I'm an adult i don't need the state telling me how to dress for my safety.
It isn't required in OR, as you know, and I still wear a blaze hat and vest every time I'm in the woods during rifle season. Ungulates can't see color, people are dumb, and I don't want to get shot. It's up to each adult in this state to make that choice, but I don't see the downside when the animals don't care and it could possibly save me a scare or a wound.

I generally wear the same jacket as my outer and switch layers underneath as needed. I'd like a good puffy in orange camo so I don't have to mess with a vest every time I want to change layers.

It isn't required in OR, as you know, and I still wear a blaze hat and vest every time I'm in the woods during rifle season. Ungulates can't see color, people are dumb, and I don't want to get shot. It's up to each adult in this state to make that choice, but I don't see the downside when the animals don't care and it could possibly save me a scare or a wound.

I generally wear the same jacket as my outer and switch layers underneath as needed. I'd like a good puffy in orange camo so I don't have to mess with a vest every time I want to change layers.
I hunt more tge Oregon. And you're free to make any choice to go above and beyond all you want.

I should be free to make any choice I want as well.

You believe it helps you stay safe.
I believe it helps competitors zero in on how im hunting a spot.

I also believe if someone is stupid enough to shoot a target without positive id a little ole hat ain't gonna save ya.

Bearsears

WKR
Orange is a total pain in the ass for sure. I dont mind wearing it here in Co during rifle seasons though. There are all kinds of people running around with zero experience ready to shoot anything that moves. It seems to be getting worse every year. After years of trial and error, I have decided that a light mesh Orange vest that impacts my clothing systems breath-ability the least is the best. I wear an Orange a glow vest. For head cover I wear a Orange mesh snap back. This allows me to wear any beanie of face covering/hood under it and adjust the size up so its on the outside.

If orange is required it should be like WY a hat. It's not required here and I didn't wear any in NM this year. I do keep a hat and panel for my pack for a pack outs.

Hondo

WKR
The fact that the Kuiu Peloton 240 Vest and First Lite Catalyst Vest in Blaze Orange seems to be in perpetual back order tells me that that Kuiu and First Lite could easily sell more Blaze Orange garments. That concludes my market research.

I am a big fan of my orange aglo mesh vest and pack panel. Super light and easy to throw over my outer layer. For upland and other types of hunting, after becoming frustrated with what was out there, I added a few carhartt safety orange tops to my hunting line up - short sleeve, long sleeve and a hoodie. They work fine and are durable as hell.