Bleaching deer skull euro mount

Junibravo

FNG
I recently shot my first decent buck and decided to do a euro mount. I boiled it in soap water for 4 hours until all the meat came off. Unfortunately in the process on the nose bones came loose too. I then proceeded to put hydrogen peroxide in the water and boiled the skull for another 30-45min until it came out nice and white. Finally i used some gorilla glue to stick the nose bone back and also put a little drop on the other side cuz that bone was wobbly too. Once i had wiped off the excess i realized the glue left a yellow stain on the skull where i wiped it. I have tried boiling it in peroxide again and even tried putting those teeth cleaning peroxide gels but it has not cleared the stain. Have i ruined my skull for good or is there a fix?
On a side note, i just noticed some grey patches on the back of the skull after the second go thru with the peroxide (this part wasnt even dipped in the water). 5C9DAEC0-FA6B-4990-A2DD-185C6393E32F.jpeg3B8B7327-BF45-430C-9F50-CD806B885790.jpeg

Very carefully try finger nail polish remover, use q-tips too apply and remove or with very fine grit sand paper very lightly buff the glue area it may take a bit of time go lightly and slow.

AKG

FNG
The discoloration on the back of your skull may fade as the skull thoroughly dries. Don't know the solution for the glue on the nose. What I do on euro mounts of mine that ended up with some discoloration I couldn't get rid of is spray paint with a satin spray paint, Ivory color if I recall. One pic is boiled bleached, the other is painted after to cover discoloration for comparison.

Attachments

• KIMG5751.JPG
    KIMG5751.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 93
  • KIMG5750.JPG
    KIMG5750.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 93

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
Gorilla glue is very tenacious, if it was me I would soak the skull in acetone. Only up to the antler bases, this will also decrease and may dissolve the glue. If so use common white elmers glue. It dries clear and is easy to remove with warm water if nessary.

JeffP_Or

WKR
Here's my take on the grey - that is grease that is still in the bone; long simmer with dawn type soaps seems to be the only way I have succesfully gotten rid of this - NOT actually boiling. Rinse dry and repeat. I had an older coyote that warranted several attempts to eliminate that in some of the thicker bone structure - it would seemingly go away, then a week or so after being dry, it would reappear. Back in the bath and sure enough floating oils. Simlar experience with a more mature deer skull that had thicker bone structure.
Agree with the others on the Gorilla glue; I have had best luck with cyanoacrylate type glues [Super Glue]. Used sparingly and in less obvious places. If the Gorilla glue resiue remains - last option might have to be spray painting the skull as also noted above.

OP
J

Junibravo

FNG
Getting satin ivory spray paint tomorrow and gonna make it all pretty. Any thoughts on the color choice?

Next time, probably just use white elmers wood glue or clear super glue lol. I doubt the gorilla glue will come off without taking some bone with it

Joseph2186

Lil-Rokslider
The skull was over boiled thus the reason for the glue the bone starts to degrade and warp. Also boiling peroxide is hard on bone what I have found works the best is get some hot water sit the skull in it for a few minutes. Then remove it and paint on cream liquid developer and cover with a shopping bag for about 10 hours then rinse. Then let sit in the sun and completely dry before deciding if it needs further whitening. Also if you have property Id suggest maceration its easy leaves the skull intact and degreasing is much easier. With that glue if you have a steady hand maybe a dremel with the wire wheel can get the glue off. Hope this helps.

I also heat the skull and use the cream developer, i dip thin cloth strips in it then i layer them on like paper mache and stuff into all the holes i can get em into, then wrap in plastic and set on my heated tile floor overnight with the heat on in the bathroom. Comes out nice but i want to try maceration next time too since the simmering definitely makes it brittle

Fitzwho

WKR
Gorilla Glue doesn't dry clear (obviously) and actually expands slightly as it dries. Super Glue is the only way to go. I had one come in last year that the guy had done this exact same thing on. Had to carefully disassemble the glued nose pieces, go in and dremel all the yellow glue off and then re-assemble with super glue. Should have charged him more than I did. It was borderline more work than doing a euro from scratch.

My heads aren't usually in simmering/boiling water for more than 15-30 minutes. Pressure wash everything after that. Very similar to how Whitebone does it, but I use 30% Clear Developer and Basic White powder made into a thin paste to do the whitening. Paint that on and sit it in the sun and it will whiten up in just a couple hours.

To the OP, I would say your best best is going to be to paint it. Might be able to lightly sand it and get most of the yellow glue off.

Reactions: WCB
I agree with the others on the spray paint idea. Acetone won’t hurt anything but it’s probably not going to help either. I’ve also seen guys dip the skulls in camo like they do gunstocks. Not my thing, but it looks kind of cool if you’re into that. For future skulls use dawn and water and don’t let it get hotter than a barely simmer. Too hot will make it come apart. I pull mine out once in awhile and pick the loose stuff until it’s pretty clean then hang it outside for a month or more and let nature finish it. I don’t usually whiten mine just out of personal taste but the hair peroxide cream does work well.

vtmooser

FNG
even after a good white bleach my mounts get discolored in time. A light spray of Kilz primer stain sealer gives it a nice satin finish that last !!

Im gonna have to try that paint too, i lost a little front tooth from my bear i recently did. My wife manages a dental office and made it a new tooth yesterday, shape and fit is perfect but its more translucent than the other teeth so im gonna paint it to match before i glue it in lol

mouri010

FNG
Is the general consensus that there should be some kind of seal coat on anyones DIY euro? If so, what is the preferred sealant?