blew it tonite

bnsafe

WKR
Im just sick. first real year of hunting public and I had a 135 10 pt 10 yds from me, but I have my stand to low and in the open. Now, I knew this going in, but he came in in a totally unexpected direction and he saw me. Didnt blow out, he ran about 30 yds then stood there forever then walked off. But, I had him, til I didnt.
I gotta move the stand tomorrow to a better tree, but its illegal to cut shooting lanes so theres a reason I had it where it was.

sambo3006

FNG
It's sometimes hard to find the perfect tree to put a stand in when bow hunting. I have an internal debate with myself every time I hike in and do a hang and hunt on public land. Higher is always better for staying out of a deer's sight line, but sometimes not practical due to shooting lanes. You might get away with lower if you are tucked into some limbs or a cedar tree, but low and exposed is a very low odds proposition. I hope you find a better tree and get another crack at him!

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
Im just sick. first real year of hunting public and I had a 135 10 pt 10 yds from me, but I have my stand to low and in the open. Now, I knew this going in, but he came in in a totally unexpected direction and he saw me. Didnt blow out, he ran about 30 yds then stood there forever then walked off. But, I had him, til I didnt.
I gotta move the stand tomorrow to a better tree, but its illegal to cut shooting lanes so theres a reason I had it where it was.

The important thing is you got out there and saw one of the right ones!

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
yea, im 52 and 2nd year of hunting public. killed a couple last year, but this was a dream buck for public, and he was right there. Oh well, thats why its hunting and not killing. he walked off so maybe he will come back sometime

Swamp Fox

WKR
You didn't spook him that badly but he'll remember the spot. It's toast for a while.

If it's a location he'll look for or chase does, hit it when he's hotter and not thinking straight. But leave it alone in the meantime.

Otherwise there's always a mulligan for next year, with a slightly revised approach.

The backside of the tree is where you need to be for low stands, or tucked into limbs/evergreens as mentioned above.

It's high stands and trimming for me, but it's not always possible. Climbing/hanging blind without stand prep is 99% a losing proposition with a bow around here. Too thick by a mile.

Find a different spot on his "run" when he might be on a pattern, or catch him there when his mind is elsewhere, but be sneaky about it either way. A buck with a couple of years on him is no dummy.

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
I changed the stand out, put it higher, and in a diff tree. I dont think they will see me now. I dont like it, I dont care for heights, but its prob as good as Im gonna get.
I will say a buck made a new scrape that wasnt there yest some time last nite, and I saw one before I saw this one so there are more bucks in the area.
Now, getting one out of there might be a fun proposition.

Could try tying the limbs back out of the way or zip tying them to others. Good luck, hope you get em.

Yoder

WKR
I can't remember the hunters name but he uses snow camo when he hunts out of a tree stand. I'm actually trying it today for the first time. Hopefully it works, I could only get about 12ft up today.