Blew up my RX-1 Ultra - repair or upgrade to RX-4

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
$175 is fine. Archers get so damn cheap some times. Lets just play this. $100/125 for strings and thats the high side of great quality gas/catfish/buckslayer. $50/75 to put on the strings. Rough tune and rough sight in the bow and chrono and print you a sight tape and verify. Seems ok to me. Shop owner has got to eat as well.

I guess you could buy several hundred dollars worth of presses and draw boards and install the strings yourself to save $70. I did. But I wanted to.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
$175 is fine. Archers get so damn cheap some times. Lets just play this. $100/125 for strings and thats the high side of great quality gas/catfish/buckslayer. $50/75 to put on the strings. Rough tune and rough sight in the bow and chrono and print you a sight tape and verify. Seems ok to me. Shop owner has got to eat as well.
I never thought twice about it. But after Inposted, some seem to quibble without noting the manufacturer, what he’s doing or where I live. I’d offer him more if he can get it done faster!

Sorry to be flippant/a smart a$$. My point is that the $175 is for more than the strings - he's going to tune, sight in to make sure the tape is correct (it's a single pin HHA Tetra) - but then I will go back to see him to make sure all is in order as I shoot it.

Since several have said something about the cost of the string - does it make a difference that the string will be made by Threadz?

I'm not up on string makers. If they are something like bcy 452x strings they should be good, assuming they are assembled correctly. Anyone worth their salt should be getting $45/hour minimum for bow work. So take a decent string price and add $50. That's a baseline.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I dont know squat about threadz and can't even find a price on their website. Most 4-5 piece sets from quality manufacturers for 452/454x or x99 are going to cost $105-125. Depending how many colors and if it has a pin stripe.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
This is concerning. Its to my understanding it takes 8-10 hours to properly pre stretch strings. There is no way they have all the color combos for all bows in stock. Unless they literally start building them when the order comes in.

Screenshot_20200719-210700_Chrome.jpg

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Huh. My guy said the Threadz guy stretches them for 24 hours.

ncavi8tor

WKR
Take the upgrade! After 100 arrows the RX-4 will be your new love!

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Take the upgrade! After 100 arrows the RX-4 will be your new love!

NC

I've already communicated with my guy about the *need* to have the RX-4 so that my RX-1 can serve as a backup. Not the wisest choice economically, but I've rationalized/justified it in my mind given what I'm paying and time I've allocated planning for the Idaho trip. Can't wait!

ncavi8tor

WKR
I've already communicated with my guy about the *need* to have the RX-4 so that my RX-1 can serve as a backup. Not the wisest choice economically, but I've rationalized/justified it in my mind given what I'm paying and time I've allocated planning for the Idaho trip. Can't wait!
Good choice! Happy shooting!

NC

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Update - keeping the RX-1 with new strings, but ordered the RX-4 in Storm, orange Threadz strings and Punisher Pro sight. Couldn’t stop thinking about it after having come so close to needing to have a new bow. Hope to have “old” bow this weekend, and new bow in ~3 weeks. Thanks to all who provided advice!