Blind Calling

TheGDog

WKR
The vegetation is so thick down here I just about have to set up in a fire break trail and even then,
he would have to attack the decoy for me to have a shot.
THICK,THICK,THICK. - If I can find a spot I can see 20 yards I'm feelin lucky.
Ok I feel you on that! I'd feel like that's gonna take some concealment gear and careful placement of the caller+decoy to divert the attention away from you, IF you can take advantage of an eCaller and want to use a small rifle like a .17 HMR or .22 Mag. .223 of course works as I found out, but can be rough on em in hide and meat damage.

If hand calls at that kinda close and thick distance, then shotgun's your huckleberry with concealment gear (what load would be optimal in shotgun for Bobcat at that close distance without too much damage I wonder?), but likely that motion decoy won't totally work because when they hear the actual noise come from somewhere else, they'll likely suspect somethings not right and get nervy I'd think.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Ok I feel you on that! I'd feel like that's gonna take some concealment gear and careful placement of the caller+decoy to divert the attention away from you, IF you can take advantage of an eCaller and want to use a small rifle like a .17 HMR or .22 Mag. .223 of course works as I found out, but can be rough on em in hide and meat damage.

If hand calls at that kinda close and thick distance, then shotgun's your huckleberry with concealment gear (what load would be optimal in shotgun for Bobcat at that close distance without too much damage I wonder?), but likely that motion decoy won't totally work because when they hear the actual noise come from somewhere else, they'll likely suspect somethings not right and get nervy I'd think.
I been loading up the 870 with 3" #2 Hevi Shot through a modified choke. (largest I can use on state lands).
I very rarely will use a .22 mag(state regs) bolt gun if I have an opportunity of a "long" shot of 30 yards.
But, Like I've said, lots of tracks but I've yet to see one.
I've all but given up after 2 dozen sets or so. I do like to have some success occasionally.

TheGDog

WKR
I been loading up the 870 with 3" #2 Hevi Shot through a modified choke. (largest I can use on state lands).
I very rarely will use a .22 mag(state regs) bolt gun if I have an opportunity of a "long" shot of 30 yards.
But, Like I've said, lots of tracks but I've yet to see one.
I've all but given up after 2 dozen sets or so. I do like to have some success occasionally.
And in those sets have you been trying all kinds of different calls/sounds?

Have you tried mouth calls? Seriously for S & G give those calls at 3DFOX.UK a try. I betcha money their Mouser/Squealer one would TOTALLY pull em in. And the green one sounds kinda like a JackRabbit to me.
So far for me they've come past early like 8am, then the one I managed to take it was 2:30p, and he just wandered on by, wasn't even calling. Was last day of Dear Season in 2019.

TheGDog

WKR
BTW... at least with em not coming in you're not wasting money chucking expensive Hevi-Shot all over the place, HA!

EZduzIT

Lil-Rokslider
So I was doing a distressed cow call this season for moose, trying to get a bull to keep coming for my 2 hunting buddies. They had circled down hill and were trying to close distance when they heard a large critter moving through the brush towards me. The critter turned out to be a bear that winded them and exploded across the creek towards them in a bluff charge, it saw both of them standing there and turned and bolted off. I never saw or heard any of this as I was focused on the bull coming in. Made me rethink my call locations though, and to start checking my six more often when doing that call.
This makes me wonder about when I’m hunting alone and use a lost calf call for elk… lions or bears.

This makes me wonder about when I’m hunting alone and use a lost calf call for elk… lions or bears.
I wonder sometimes too since im typically solo. Me and some dudes called eachother in this elk season and had a laugh. The next evening i ran into them again on the road and they said they did a calling setup before light that morning. Once it was first light one of them stood up and looked around, there was a cougar crouched in a bush staring at him like 10ft away right behind him! Lol it probably happens more than we'll ever know

EZduzIT

Lil-Rokslider
I wonder sometimes too since im typically solo. Me and some dudes called eachother in this elk season and had a laugh. The next evening i ran into them again on the road and they said they did a calling setup before light that morning. Once it was first light one of them stood up and looked around, there was a cougar crouched in a bush staring at him like 10ft away right behind him! Lol it probably happens more than we'll ever know
Oofda, butt pucker!

Tyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve always had good luck hunting bears from tree stands. I think bears have more of an advantage smelling you from ground.