Blisters while hunting

Cascade_Sherpa

Lil-Rokslider
Hey VCB,

It sounds like you and I have a similar problem with heel blisters. I agree with one of the previous posts saying that if once you find the right boot the problem will go away.....the problem is that I still haven't completely found that "right" boot. I believe the reason is a very narrow heel, which causes constant heel lift inside the boot mostly while climbing very steep terrain. This constant process of my heel coming off of the foot bed or insert during the step up is probably only 1/4" to 1/2" but its enough friction to cause blisters after extended climbing. I've tried many different brands and models of boots; right now I'm still wearing out two pairs of Kenetrek's....the first pair I really liked but still had some heel lift so I got a pair 1/2 size too small to try to compensate for it and now I'm compromising comfort in the toe box of the boot and now my toes get hot when hiking downhill for an extended amount of time.

I think that I'm gonna try sending my foot dimensions to the guys at Lathrop for a pair of their Hanwags next time and tell them I need a boot specifically for a narrow bony heel. Maybe they can completely solve my problem. keep us posted if you find a new boot that works, I feel your pain bro!

@cascade sherpa, im a skinny heel too and have about 75mi on my new hanwag alaskans now, some hotspots on my forefoot when lots of sidehilling but no blisters yet, maybe hope for you

OP
vcb

vcb

WKR
Thanks Cascade, I too think I'm gonna try a pair of hanwags. I'm still gonna keep my duct tape close!!

bobhunts

WKR
I thought this thread was regarding Kennetreks until I reread it. I have seen the vids on lacing boots. Only a boot that fits your foot will fit. Some do, some do not. I wasted my money on Kennetreks in regards to hot spots and blistering. There is so much heel rub when I put them back on again only wearing them a day or two again I experience the same thing over and over. I will not give up as they were not cheap. Maybe after more time they will fit well too. Not the same fit with the Lowa Tibets. They were stiff and needed to be broke into also.. but they actually did break in and fit my feet. Your feet might prefer another boot. Good luck getting a boot that meets your needs and fits well! Bob.

2ski

WKR
I went on a short hike the other day, lacing up my boots as I had tried the other day in my walk to the grocery store. While I did not get any hot spots, I wouldn't say the boot was comfortable. On steep uphills my heel was jammed into the top of the heel cup. Bob, I feel the same as you. I don't want to give up as they were so expensive. I guess the nice thing about expensive is they do have decent resale sometimes.

2ski

WKR
I know this kind of turned into a discussion about Kenetreks and blisters, and my experience with blisters has been with my Kenetreks. Anyone that is getting blisters should follow any and all the advise on this thread. Yesterday I went for a hike in muley-type country I would call it. Say sage brush ridges and some draws created by small creeks. Not too extreme since all thats snow covered right now but we put on 6 miles. I kind of put all the advise together from this thread and went with lacing my boots differently, tried a Darn Tough mid-weight sock for the first time, added a liner which I had tried before but not with the DT sock, and it was perfect with that combo. No hot spots. No blisters. My feet were getting a little warm and I had more movement in the boots for the last mile, but since we were mainly walking out on a road for that last stretch, I let it be. But, I did feel like I could've tightened up the laces at that point and been fine.

I didn't start this thread, but thanks to all the people that answered the OP. I was starting to think I would need to give up on my boots and go the Lathrop and sons route.