BLM land location discrepancy

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
No need to turn into a poo flinging contest but there is the whole dog bite thing if they pushed it on their end and it turned out to actually be public. As it stands I'd just like to see it clarified.
Didn't mean to start a poo flinging contest. Just thinking if it was me hiring a surveyor, lawyer and time off work I just want to break even not make some money of it.

You're a better man than me. With that kind of confirmation I would have gone back and put a tent up or something as*holey like that. They are usually in the wrong or have some sort of weird complex about the public land around them being theirs. I once was at form here in Utah where the rancher was complaining that his lock on his gate was shot off for the 5th time, to quickly be followed up by the DNR officer in that area saying that people have too because your locking up public land
I like the idea on checking your zero on the dog as well

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've seen several instances such as this in the past. Just this season there was a plot of land maybe 400-500 acres worth that shows private on my GPS, yet the updated National Forest map in 2014 doesn't show a bit of private in that area. My GPS map was done before 2014. There are no obvious indications whatsoever that this piece of property is or ever was private. Rough country without any type of development or mining indications from the present or past.

In another unit there is another entire section of land completely surrounded by National Forest that shows private. There is a NF road that runs through it and even stops in the middle of this property. People camp all along it every year and even the game warden was unaware that it shows as private on every map I have, including my GPS. Still have no idea on that one.

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I just seen this bill introduced here in Colorado and figured it was fitting here. Sounds like it could have been a surveying discrepancy.

Tipton Re-Introduces Bill to Protect Private Land Owners Following BLM Resurveys | Congressman Scott Tipton (R - CO)

It certainly could be a surveying error, I stated in my email to the BLM I don't know the root cause and said they need to look into it and figure out what the issue is and fix the discrepancy wherever that discrepancy falls.

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've seen several instances such as this in the past. Just this season there was a plot of land maybe 400-500 acres worth that shows private on my GPS, yet the updated National Forest map in 2014 doesn't show a bit of private in that area. My GPS map was done before 2014. There are no obvious indications whatsoever that this piece of property is or ever was private. Rough country without any type of development or mining indications from the present or past.

In another unit there is another entire section of land completely surrounded by National Forest that shows private. There is a NF road that runs through it and even stops in the middle of this property. People camp all along it every year and even the game warden was unaware that it shows as private on every map I have, including my GPS. Still have no idea on that one.

Keep in mind the national forest and BLM aquire (and also sell) land over time so that can be a factor. I know of one area that shows as private on the Colorado hunt altas (which is 2012 data if I recall right?) that is now BLM for instance. I usually start looking at the hunt atlas for ease but then I start double checking any areas that might be suspect.

In this particular case there were zero map discrepancies across any resources, the only discrepancy was the claim of the owner. Still could be a database error, I'm not ruling it out, it just needs correction if so.

OP
pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I received notification that they can't discuss specific details of ongoing matters but they confirmed the coordinates I provided were public and that their officer has removed some "no trespassing" signs that were placed on public land and to advise them if I run into any further issues (not that I plan to go back).