BLM on two corners with Private on the other two, ok to cross corner?

dtrkyman

WKR
"owns at least as much of the space above the ground as he can occupy or use in connection with the land"

Said landowner is 6 foot tall, get a 7 foot ladder and cross!

I had never thought about this, until a recent hunt in Wyoming.

I spotted and bedded a true giant buck, a top 1% type buck that was on public land, landlocked in the exact type scenario as OP posted.

After hours of deliberation, phone calls, etc to multiple agencies, I finally got the local warden. I was told in fact I would/could be cited, and that corner hopping is ILLEGAL.

If ANYONE has concrete proof, evidence or an official from Wyoming Game and Fish that will GO ON RECORD, telling me I’m good to go and that I was told wrong by that warden I would really, really appreciate contact info.

If ANYONE has concrete proof, evidence or an official from Wyoming Game and Fish that will GO ON RECORD, telling me I’m good to go and that I was told wrong by that warden I would really, really appreciate contact info.
LEOs are wrong, all. the. time. It would probably be best to consult a lawyer that's familiar with property laws in WY. Then be prepared to fight any citation in court if you do get caught.

def90

WKR

I spotted and bedded a true giant buck, a top 1% type buck that was on public land, landlocked in the exact type scenario as OP posted.

After hours of deliberation, phone calls, etc to multiple agencies, I finally got the local warden. I was told in fact I would/could be cited, and that corner hopping is ILLEGAL.

Based on the general gist of and emphasis on property rights in Wyoming I highly doubt corner hopping would be legal there.

TSAMP

WKR
I have witnessed 4 individuals corner hop and get tickets in wyoming. I believe the GW only cited the 2 who had rifles for the trespass. No idea how it went in court.

TSAMP

WKR
What was the charge?
I believe it was trespassing. I was with the landowner shooting pdogs and we saw them stop and do it from a distance. We then saw the GW truck heading down the road. Land owner jumped in truck and flagged down GW. They both went to confront the hunters. Returned and said 2 of the 4 got tickets.

Bighorner

WKR

This is the AG letter on their stance on corner crossing it is worth it to read the whole thing. I'm not sure if there has been an official change since 2004.

Unless we get some pro access high roller roksliders to start bankrolling some lobbyists I think a mass civil disobedience is in order. If wardens, police, sheriffs, county prosecuters/AGs begin getting swamped with these calls and the courts get clogged up by dealing with this bogus, entirely victimless "crime", we can probably achieve decriminalization in a couple years...

“A minority is powerless while it conforms to the majority; it is not even a minority then; but it is irresistible when it clogs by its whole weight. " HDT

isu22andy

WKR
Im going to sit in my lawn chair trick or treating night and when the next 5 year old steps off the sidwalk to my lawn Im calling the law. This is how ridiculous this argument is. Get the **** out of here. Cross that corner.

ODB

WKR
Im going to sit in my lawn chair trick or treating night and when the next 5 year old steps off the sidwalk to my lawn Im calling the law. This is how ridiculous this argument is. Get the **** out of here. Cross that corner.

To be honest, this is the kind of action that would bring this to the forefront. Kids cut my yard all the time. Adults too. Are they any less guilty than someone two miles into the forest and who’s feet never touch private property?

I believe it was trespassing. I was with the landowner shooting pdogs and we saw them stop and do it from a distance. We then saw the GW truck heading down the road. Land owner jumped in truck and flagged down GW. They both went to confront the hunters. Returned and said 2 of the 4 got tickets.

Did they refuse to leave?

Did they cross a fence or go beyond a no trespassing sign?

Current Wyoming law defines criminal trespassing in the following manner:

(a) A person is guilty of criminal trespass if he enters or remains on or in the land or premises of another person, knowing he is not authorized to do so, or after being notified to depart or to not trespass. For purposes of this section, notice is given by:

(i) Personal communication to the person by the owner or occupant, or his agent, or by a peace officer; or

(ii) Posting of signs reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders.

Wyoming State Statute 6-3-303

I'd say it would depend on the states criminal trespass laws.
Some states minimal due diligence of notification is required before it is a citable offense. No signs, fences, posts, land owner asking you to leave than not criminal trespass.

TSAMP

WKR
Did they refuse to leave?

Did they cross a fence or go beyond a no trespassing sign?

Current Wyoming law defines criminal trespassing in the following manner:

(a) A person is guilty of criminal trespass if he enters or remains on or in the land or premises of another person, knowing he is not authorized to do so, or after being notified to depart or to not trespass. For purposes of this section, notice is given by:

(i) Personal communication to the person by the owner or occupant, or his agent, or by a peace officer; or

(ii) Posting of signs reasonably likely to come to the attention of intruders.

Wyoming State Statute 6-3-303
I'll need to dig into my diary A little deeper for this. From what I could tell it was concluded in that moment they trespassed on his PP to gain access to blm land by corner hopping. I didnt ask many questions.

Rich M

WKR
I was told by LEO in WY that it was a no-no in his area and that he would ticket. Some other folks online keep telling me it is legal due to some 5 yr old memo.
Not so sure who to believe...:rolleyes:

If you really wanna know - call the guy who will issue you the ticket and fine along with whatever extra hassles you have to deal with. If he says go for it then cross with confidence. If he says no, then don't. Pretty simple.

HvyBeams

Lil-Rokslider
No other AG opinions in WY have came out since the writing of the above referenced memo. There have been no successful prosecutions of corner jumping in WY. WY Game Wardens can not enforce Title 6, Criminal Trespass. They can only enforce hunting trespass. I would recommend Ntrlbrnhunter contact the district attorney's office in the county that deer is in, and ask the elected DA if they would prosecute. Truly the only way to know. In my county, I talked to the DA and I know he won't prosecute corner hopping.

Gobbler36

WKR
**** the landowners in this situation
I would cross and deal with the consequences if I got caught. It’s a bull shit law to begin with and might would be worth going to court over idk. Only reason it’s not legal in all states is the big western states are just pandering to big ranchers and their wallets