Blood on Canvas

wyodan

WKR
I think I read somewhere that blood on canvas will cause it to rot. Can any of you more experienced packers confirm this, and how do you wash it off if so? I don't care about the gear getting dirty, but still want it last as long as possible. Thanks!

I use peroxide, but I really don’t worry about it a whole lot, typically I don’t use a manty tarp packing meat I just use panniers. But when they do get bloody I really don’t worry about it a whole lot….. as an outfitter manty tarps get ripped and torn, rained on, snowed on, we wash them at end of season dry them and put them away, usually by the time the blood would rot then they aren’t worth using anymore.

But for a recreational packer I believe davis tent has a canvas cleaning solution they use on tents and stuff that would probably work just as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR

Or a cub of bleach mixed into about 5gal of water will kill the biologicals.

The only time blood gets on canvas for me, is the half breed on a decker saddle. We started just getting pieces of the heavy tarp material (same stuff they use for tarping haystacks) big enough to cover the half breed and cut holes for the bars to go through.