Blown out knee

Jpott3

Lil-Rokslider
Well last July I blew out my knee and tore my meniscus, had the meniscus cut out and my ACL replaced with a piece of my hamstring. Unfortunately because of all that I didn't get too far from the truck last season. Just wondering how guys with similar surgeries and injuries are faring out in the woods? It feels great now on flat and uphill walking but down hill definitely isn't what it was before. Any advice or tips? I did pick up a pair of trekking poles. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rockchuck

WKR
I can relate. I am 5 months out of acl replacement with a hammy graft myself. I do okay walking and light jogging at this point but eliptical is tough for me still on the full extension at times.

I really wonder how it will be come fall. Just hoping it will keep improving.

I am thinking trekking poles will be a must.

Are you wearing a brace at all while out hiking? I have not for the last few months, but wonder if that would be good when carrying weight.

I am also interested to hear about how others found it to be hiking and hunting while recovering from similar injuries/surgeries.

OP
Jpott3

Jpott3

Lil-Rokslider
I can relate. I am 5 months out of acl replacement with a hammy graft myself. I do okay walking and light jogging at this point but eliptical is tough for me still on the full extension at times.

I really wonder how it will be come fall. Just hoping it will keep improving.

I am thinking trekking poles will be a must.

Are you wearing a brace at all while out hiking? I have not for the last few months, but wonder if that would be good when carrying weight.

I am also interested to hear about how others found it to be hiking and hunting while recovering from similar injuries/surgeries.

I have one of the fancy carbon fiber knee braces but I am terrible at wearing it. I haven't found my knee to be unstable at all just can definitely feel it going downhill. I'm not sure if that's from the meniscus or the ACL tho. The full extension will come just keep stretching!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

warrior80

WKR
I went through the exact same thing last year. Surgery end of June. Acl and bad meniscus tear. They did a repair on my meniscus as it would have been mostly gone if they cut out the torn part. I've done some hiking and downhill is definitely tougher. Mine still doesn't feel 100% but I have played basketball on it a few times with the custom knee brace that they got me. I haven't worn the brace out hiking. I don't feel like I need it. I do use hiking poles which helps a lot. But it might not be a bad idea to try a brace for a little bit for the added stability. I personally wouldn't want to use it too much as I don't want it to slow my recovery by not allowing me to strengthen my stabilizing muscles as much.
But I'm positive I'll be just fine come fall. They say it can take up to 12 months before the acl is fully healthy. And adding the meniscus tear slows recovery as well. I feel like if anything it will be the meniscus that gives me problems going forward. I finished physical therapy at the end of December but I've been hitting it pretty hard at the gym and doing my physical therapy exercises. I want to get it as strong as I can but I do push too hard sometimes which isn't good. Then my knee will hurt and I'll have to take it easy for a few days or so.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk