Blue printed 700 vs B, C, D etc...

OP
TradLife406
I’m kinda at the same point as SD. I have an older 700 .308 that I’m trying to bring back to life. It has never been a great shooter. 1.5inch is about the best. I replaced the trigger with a triggertech and free floated the barrel. If I can’t get it to shoot with handloads I’m just going to put in the back corner of the safe. I looked at it about a dozen different ways and it just seems like your throwing good money at a bad action. If it didn’t have sentimental value I would just sell it.
Yeah kinda where I'm at with a couple guns. That Big Horn action isn't cheap but I figured in the long run it'll be the way to go.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Kinda what I'm wondering. My buddy who shoots a ton of completely anti carbon. But my other friend works for Proof and another friend has a Proof.
I was just thinking back to last season and how many miles I hiked a rifle. Buddy A says a rifle is not where you want to cut weight. But climbing up and down coulees and litterel cliff walls with a 15# rifle wouldn't be fun.
My 22-250 has gone on a few walks with me and it's just not fun after a few trips.

Well putting a deposit on a Big Horn Origin. Thanks guys.

Sent from my SM-G975U
Save weight everywhere. Proof CF is an easy button when it comes to the barrel.

The difference, if there is any, in weight and stiffness between a heavily fluted barrel and a Proof carbon fiber is minimal. Bartlein carbon fiber seems heavier than Proof. In the end, the difference is minimal and going steel isn't any "better" in any significant practical sense, but neither is steel significantly better. Get what makes you feel better.

I like and know Proof, so that's what I get. They were first to perfect it, and have never done me wrong.

I also like that they aren't as cold in the winter.

In the end, when I talk about stiffness in performance, it isn't overall "stiffness" measured by deflection so much I suppose as the ability to maintain the same point of impact when firing a string. All barrels whip, some whip less than others.

I think performance is the end all. Proof cf, cause that is what I have experience with, is a 100% performer. And, it provides known weight savings.

When it comes to cost, that can be close and some prefit CF can be less than a steel fluted that a smith chambers. An Origin can take the TL3 prefit with a Hunts Long Range recoil lug.

Bsnyder

WKR
Yea 700 actions don’t shoot. the target with the middle shot out is fire forming loads. Shot from a back pack no rear bag. Yes that’s sarcasm. I must be extremely lucky all my 700’s shoot. This rifle I pulled the factory barrel off put the new on and away I went. The three shot group is 156 Berger’s

Attachments

• 4E49FB04-240A-4F15-ADED-8E1C22E0C151.jpeg
    4E49FB04-240A-4F15-ADED-8E1C22E0C151.jpeg
    201.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 3FB1AE33-E2B3-42E0-9CAF-96AA81B9ADF1.jpeg
    3FB1AE33-E2B3-42E0-9CAF-96AA81B9ADF1.jpeg
    163.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 042B861D-61F9-4767-9756-96E5BB4020A6.jpeg
    042B861D-61F9-4767-9756-96E5BB4020A6.jpeg
    271.8 KB · Views: 31
The newer Rem700 actions are pretty good and true from factory. The major problem is primary extraction on most Rem700. Moving the handle isn’t that hard and works well. Helps especially with a lot of the new magnum cartridges.
The bighorn is a great action! You won’t be disappointed. What stock are you looking at for the build?

Sure the 700 can be accurate but the problem with factory options goes beyond accuracy.
I've had issues with receivers not being flat which literally left a void beneath the bases, I've also had mounting screws drilled off center.
Not just picking on Remington, I've had equally bad experiences with savage, Winchester, Browning, and Weatherby.
Tikka/sako are the only factory actions that are done right in my experience.

B23

WKR
I also must be lucky because I've never had a single issue with any of my Rem 700 based semi custom builds and all of them shoot just as good as my full custom Kelbly 22-250 and BAT 338 Lap Imp.

OP
TradLife406
That old Remmy will be used for something still. But for this project the ease of just screwing barrels on seems pretty handy!

WCB

WKR
Have no idea how any would think 700 actions are junk...Maybe spend the extra money to get it trued/blueprinted...but I have factory 700s that shoot .5moa all day long with factory loads (7rem, 6mm rem). Besides maybe the stock you want or a certain barrel profile I have never understood the full custom thing (unless you just have money to burn).

204guy

WKR
That old Remmy will be used for something still. But for this project the ease of just screwing barrels on seems pretty handy!

I was thinking the same. Even though you went with a different action you're still going to have to do something with your 250. Don't pass a shot out gun onto someone else I feel that's bad form. LRI is another semi local to you Smith that does good work. They include blueprinting in the price of their chambering.

Last edited:

Tmac

WKR

Well since you already have the Rem. If one would get it trued up, add a M-16 extractor (if you are worried about extraction), and then use the Remage barrel nut system, I bet all your boxes are checked for less than a custom action.

I‘ve had several 700’s trued, one with a Sako extractor added. They are smooth, and scary accurate when mated to a good custom barrel. I’d have zero hesitation doing it again and may, as I have another 700 action laying around. But there is that allure of a custom action for sure, so you should do both...

SDHNTR

WKR
Have no idea how any would think 700 actions are junk...Maybe spend the extra money to get it trued/blueprinted...but I have factory 700s that shoot .5moa all day long with factory loads (7rem, 6mm rem). Besides maybe the stock you want or a certain barrel profile I have never understood the full custom thing (unless you just have money to burn).
Have you ever compared a Defiance or Bighorn or Stiller, or Kelbly, or Borden in your hand, side by side to a R700? Or even a Win M70 side by side? Again, it's one of those things you'd never know the difference until you pay attention to what else is out there, It's not about accuracy, no one would argue with a 700's ability to be accurate, its all the other features and capabilities that are lacking.

Terrible safety and trigger. Terrible bolt release location. Terrible extractor. Concentricity issues on some. Poor bolt timing, messy barrel threads, misaligned scope base holes, inadequate stock recoil lug, etc. Yes, all these things can be fixed with mods, and then you have a fine piece of machinery, but the point is, you can also buy one made right from the get go.

You never realize what a jalopy your old Ford Pinto is until you hop into the seat of a new Mercedes!

That said, if I had an old 700 laying around gathering dust, I'd surely not hesitate to use it as the basis for a build, just realize that you have some work to do first!

Last edited:
You didnt go wrong buying an origin action IMO. I went through the same dilemma as you and ended up with a long action origin and 7 saum proof carbon prefit. Went together very well and shoots great!!

I have savage actions that I have changed barrels on and they shoot great. I also have a couple of trued remingtons that shoot great but the origins are just too damn handy, Remington aftermarket parts(stocks,triggers,etc) savage prefits or shoulder barrels.

Just ordered another one in a short action and a 22 creed savage prefit barrel to build a rockchucks worst nightmare!

FFastEddie

Lil-Rokslider
By the time you buy a 20 moa rail, recoil lug, firing pin assembly, and most expensive: the blue printing. Also, having the bolt bushed. You could have bought a nice after market action.
Big horn origin is a reasonable action, about $800. Super slick and good tolerances. People are having great results.