Blueing Touch Up With Oxpho Blue Cream?

BCD

WKR
Greetings-
I recently pulled the rear open site ramp off of a 28 year old Rem 700 BDL 30-06 as I'm setting it up with a different scope for longer range shooting. There was some rust and scratches underneath where the site base bit into the barrel. I was able to remove the rust with Ballistol and steel wool. I just ordered some Brownell's Oxpho Blue Cream for touching up the blueing. Can others please comment on the process for using this cream and how it has worked for those who have used it?

Thank You!!!

Wapiti1

WKR
Probably the best of the cold blue options. Apply per the instructions. Degrease, apply, wait, rinse with water, or wipe with wet cloth. Do a couple of coats. On polished metal, rub lightly with steel wool in between and after coats to shine it up. It will be a little dull without this burnishing. One coat is OK, but a little thin and won't wear well. Don't get copper bore cleaner on it.

Jeremy

Reactions: BCD
OP
B

BCD

WKR
Probably the best of the cold blue options. Apply per the instructions. Degrease, apply, wait, rinse with water, or wipe with wet cloth. Do a couple of coats. On polished metal, rub lightly with steel wool in between and after coats to shine it up. It will be a little dull without this burnishing. One coat is OK, but a little thin and won't wear well. Don't get copper bore cleaner on it.

Jeremy

Thanks so much! What would you suggest for degreasing- is isopropyl ok?

Thanks Again!

Not what you asked, but I've had good luck with the Birchwood-Casey blueing pen. I've had the same one for countless years, and it still works great for touching up small spots in the bluing.

Reactions: BCD
OP
B

BCD

WKR
The Oxpho Blue worked fantastic. I'm very impressed. Quick and easy and looks great.