Bluff Country Bowstrings Info Thread

garrickt

Lil-Rokslider
2013/14 offerings will be BCY 452x
All strings will be served with BCY 3d end serving and BCY 62xs center serving. All cables are served with BCY Halo .014 or BCY 3d end serving, depending on needs.
Care is taken in the layout process to maintain even strand tension when building the string bundle. All strings and cables are stretched prior to serving and served under tension to eliminate creep and peep rotation. Serving tension is sufficient to eliminate serving separation.

Pricing- base prices for 2 or 3 pc set.
2 color set---$76
3 color set---$85
4 color set---$95
Monster/Prime bows or any requiring more than 3 separate pcs.----add $20

Options/add-ons
Halo upgrade---$10
Speed nocks---$10 includes heat shrink tube. Colors--Red, Orange, Blue, Yellow, Purple, Black, White, Green, Grey, Brown, Clear
D-loop----$1.50/ft.

WI residents MUST add 5.5% sales tax
****Shipping is $3 for up to 4 sets.
Paypal preferred, Credit Cards, MO's, and checks accepted

If you want to pay with a check or MO pm me here and we will get it squared away. String will not be scheduled until funds have cleared.
Feel free to ask questions in this thread or via pm.

Normal build time is between 5-10 days

Current in stock colors are: String Material 452x: Flo Orange, Flo Green, Flo Yellow, Purple, Mtn. Berry, Kiwi, Cedar, Gold, Black, Brown, Tan, Natural(white), Green, OD Green, Pink, Blue, Red, Yellow, Silver, Sunset Orange, Teal, Rootbeer, Flame, Autumn, -Camo, -Black/Tan, -Black/Silver, -Yellow/Black, -Flo.Green/Black, -Green/Black, -Red/Black, -Sunset Orange/Black -Black/White, -Blue/White, -Red/White.

Serving BCY 3d: Flo Green, Flo Orange, Red, Blue, Mtn. Berry, Silver, Flo Yellow, Black, Pink, Yellow, Brown, Sunset Orange, Purple, Green, Tan, Brown, White (clear)
Center Serving: Blue, Red, Black, Black/White, Green, Pink, Purple, Orange, Brown (all center serving has black in as well)
Halo: Clear, Black, Silver, Blue, Red, Flo Green, Flo Yellow, Flo Orange, Gold, Tan, Brown, Pink, Purple

Last edited:
OP
G

garrickt

Lil-Rokslider
Brownell xs2. Baby Blue,Flo Orange. Clear serving

Attachments

• DSCF0141.jpg
    DSCF0141.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 79
OP
G

garrickt

Lil-Rokslider
BCY 452x. Yellow/Black, Flo Green/Black (string). Tan 3d serving
Cables are Yellow/Black, Kiwi, Tan Halo serving

Attachments

• DSCF0146.jpg
    DSCF0146.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 77
Garrick, excuse the ignorance, but what is HALO used for? And could you get a bullet point or two for the differences between the string materials? THANKS!

Mike

OP
G

garrickt

Lil-Rokslider
Halo is a smaller diameter serving made by BCY that is also more resistant to abrasion than the BCY 3d serving. I use it in roller guard areas for this reason. I also use it on all cables because of the tighter radius turns used in today's cam systems to remedy serving separation issues.

452x is a blended material, 8190 is 100% HMPE, both are very durable and stable. I can't really recommend one over the other for those 2 reasons but I am finding that 8190 is just a little faster, 1-3 fps depending on color choices (florescent colors tend to be a bit slower). 452x will give you more color choices if that's important.
8190 is getting a lot of press lately, for good reasons, but I'm not getting rid of 452x anytime soon.
Brownell xs2 is also a 100% HMPE though they use a different process in making their bowstring and don't give many specifics about it. It makes a smoother, tighter looking bundle than BCY products and feels a bit softer. It is also very stable and durable.
I also am finding that with the strand count I am using for all 3 materials that xs2 is the fastest. I am getting about 5-6 fps above 452x speeds. The finished diameter is the same as 8190 when served so my thinking is that the smoother bundle is allowing for this gain in speed. Am I right? Maybe, maybe not, but the chrono doesn't lie.....it is the fastest of the 3.

I am currently shooting 452x and xs2 out of my bows. Both Athens Accomplice (one's a 32" and the other a 34"). The xs2 is shooting the same speed as the 452x but without speed nocks. My experience with Athens is that I will get about 4-6 fps with speed nocks, I just need to find time to play around and verify this to see if the xs2 holds up and shoots a faster arrow. I will be swapping out the 452x on the 32 for 8190 shortly in order to make more comparisons, I'll keep everyone updated.

FYI, HMPE stands for high-modulus polyethylene for what it's worth.

OP
G

garrickt

Lil-Rokslider
Strand count
452x, 22-string, 24 cables
8190, 24 string and cables
xs2, 20 string and cables

This allows me to keep the finished diameters right around .102-.105 of an inch, which seems to be the optimal size for most cam systems.

OP
G

garrickt

Lil-Rokslider
Keep in mind also that the speeds posted are just to show that there are some small differences in the materials. Real world application however has a lot more variables. Arrow wt., draw wt and length, bow tune, shooter form and release technique etc. etc etc.
All 3 are good materials and I am confident with offering all of them. Choices are nice to have.

sk1

WKR
you said the xs2 strings feel a bit softer, any thoughts on it's durability compared to 452x or 8190? i beat my strings and cables up pretty bad this year trying to get through scrub oak.

thanks for all the info you posted

OP
G

garrickt

Lil-Rokslider
I shot it last year for about 4 months but it was league and 3d events. From the guys I have talked to it is not having the same durability issues that astroflight had.
My strings did not have any performance issues as far as peep rotation, creep, etc. but I didn't put them through the ringer in the woods.
My feeling is that it is going to hold up fine.

mtbshark

WKR
I had XS2 on my bow for about 8 months near the end it was kinda fuzzy but in what I consider good to great shape for how much I shot. The problem that I had with it is that it is a very slick material so the servings where separating pretty bad, which is why I pulled them off the bow. I have heard that this is not onlyh on my bow but is kinda common.

well that is my $.02

you said the xs2 strings feel a bit softer, any thoughts on it's durability compared to 452x or 8190? i beat my strings and cables up pretty bad this year trying to get through scrub oak.

thanks for all the info you posted

I'm with you here... my bow is constantly being put in the dirt, pushed through sagebrush, pulled through alders...etc it gets quite a cleaning after every season!

Mike

OP
G

garrickt

Lil-Rokslider
I had XS2 on my bow for about 8 months near the end it was kinda fuzzy but in what I consider good to great shape for how much I shot. The problem that I had with it is that it is a very slick material so the servings where separating pretty bad, which is why I pulled them off the bow. I have heard that this is not onlyh on my bow but is kinda common.

well that is my $.02

I haven't had a problem with this and it is something I pay close attention to.

mtbshark

WKR
thats great to know cause I shoot alot, and I liked the material and it held up great. Guess I am going to have to run thru the 8190 that is currently strung up!

but i do have a few questions.

what is the longest life you have seen out of a set that is used on the regular?
does cam profile change the lifespan?

and your baby blue with flo orange look great! my set was baby blue and burnt orange, but like the flo better now that I have seen it.

OP
G

garrickt

Lil-Rokslider
I've seen sets go 3 years from guys that shoot pretty regularly but they didn't look very good. I leagues all year as well as 3d. With practice time and hunting I probably put 6-7000 arrows down range every year at minimum. I change strings every year (but it is easier for me).
Some cams are harder on strings but i don't have any real info on how much it effects the string longevity.

OP
G

garrickt

Lil-Rokslider
Athens Accomplice 34

Flo Green and Sunset Orange/Black speckle, matching LD cord

Attachments

• DSCF0156.jpg
    DSCF0156.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 75

Latest posts

Featured Video