Boat based Kodiak hunt?

johnsd16

WKR
Our group is booked to do a boat based Kodiak hunt in 2021 for the second week of October. Two of the six have hunted Kodiak and one boat based with the same outfit. We chose dates to maximize daylight, ensure duck season is open, and to minimize conflicts with other hunts so those aren’t changing.

just positing to hear from others that have done it if there are any tips, gear, etc that came in handy or things you’d plan for, buy, whatever if you did it again. Anything you didn’t need, and wouldn’t bother to do/bring?

We are super excited. The hope is to each get a good representative buck, have another tag for a big one or a meat buck. One of the two residents will have a goat tag and probably get caribou tags. I want to try for a barrows GE, harlequin, and oldsquaw (won’t call them the other name), and would love a silver or cross fox.

I didn't do a boat based hunt, lodge based but transported by boat each morning. Good boots, gaiters, good set of rain gear, some nice merino wool base layers. Durable outer layers for busting through devils club and nice set of gloves with leather padding on palms/fingers. You will only grab a devil's club with your bare hand once! Layering well will be important. We hiked 800-1400 ft each day, then would sit and glass or slowly stalk through spruce. You would work up a sweat hiking, but then cool off quick. I kept a puffy in my pack as an additional layer for when I was sitting.

And go ahead and pad your bank account, because you will want to go back and do it again as soon as your hunt is over.

I didn't do a boat based hunt, lodge based but transported by boat each morning. Good boots, gaiters, good set of rain gear, some nice merino wool base layers. Durable outer layers for busting through devils club and nice set of gloves with leather padding on palms/fingers. You will only grab a devil's club with your bare hand once! Layering well will be important. We hiked 800-1400 ft each day, then would sit and glass or slowly stalk through spruce. You would work up a sweat hiking, but then cool off quick. I kept a puffy in my pack as an additional layer for when I was sitting.

And go ahead and pad your bank account, because you will want to go back and do it again as soon as your hunt is over.
Timekiller, getting ready to do the same thing this October. Who did you go with? Did you bring anything you wish you hadn't, or leave anything at home you wish you brought?

Timekiller, getting ready to do the same thing this October. Who did you go with? Did you bring anything you wish you hadn't, or leave anything at home you wish you brought?
Raspberry island remote lodge.

Should have left the spotting scope at home. Most of the deer we saw were in the timber and even the ones that were out in the open were easily glassed with binos.

Other than that, I was happy with everything else I brought. Since weight and space wasnt an issue at the lodge, I probably packed a little heavy.

Wish I would have had more tags and more time!