Boat Latches

Bassman

Lil-Rokslider
Hi All

Figured I would throw a line out to fellow boat owners for ideas/help on a latch solution for my boat. I have a side storage area on my johnboat that does not have a latch to secure it, so when running in rougher water the lid will begin to bounce up and down, which is pretty annoying. I’m having difficulty finding the necessary hardware to secure it properly but it could be entirely due to incorrect terms / search parameters. Ideally, I would like it to be as low profile as possible or flush to prevent snagging on waders/raingear. I know Perko has a latch system typically seen on fiberglass boats but know sure that is the best solution. Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks!

Attachments

• View recent photos.jpg
    View recent photos.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 38

robtattoo

WKR
Have a look on Amazon for 'slam latch'
Ask you'll need to install it is (iirc) 3 screws & a 1" hole saw.
I'm not sure it'd work for your application, but I've built a couple of glass/composite boats & they work fine for me.
Not sure how they'd go with that rolled lip.....

Ray

WKR
The lowest profile and easiest "latch" you can make would be a couple of holes and a rubber bungy strap to hold the door down.

Draw Latches would be the next thing to look at. The link shows several types. The flexible ones may work best for protecting waders and gear.

OP
B

Bassman

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the suggestions. The slam latch seems like it could be the ticket, but agree the rolled lip could be problematic. Anyone have experience with that type of latch in a similar situation?

dubllung4

FNG
What does it look like with the lid up? Slam latch could work.

TH Marine T Handle latch if you want it locking, these are flush.

If that were my boat I would just put a rubber draw latch on it. Cheap and effective. The rubber will keep the lid tight so it does not rattle at all.

Gnatboy911

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure what latch would work best, but check out a website called https://www.mcmaster.com/#

They have an insane amount of stuff....tools, hardware, etc. Very detailed pictures and measurements. Scroll down a bit on the home page until you get to the section with latches and hardware.

RadUtah

FNG
I went with Heavy Magnets on many of the storage areas on my fishing boats...work great and are easy.

OP
B

Bassman

Lil-Rokslider
What does it look like with the lid up? Slam latch could work.

TH Marine T Handle latch if you want it locking, these are flush.

If that were my boat I would just put a rubber draw latch on it. Cheap and effective. The rubber will keep the lid tight so it does not rattle at all.
Here is a picture of the storage box open, there is a bit of material covered by the lid

Attachments

• IMG_2431.jpg
    IMG_2431.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 4
OP
B

Bassman

Lil-Rokslider
I went with Heavy Magnets on many of the storage areas on my fishing boats...work great and are easy.
The magnets are are great idea! What pound rating did you get to prevent they from popping open? Any pictures?