Boat Novice...tiller jet for western rivers? Why so hard to find hull/jet/tiller combo?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
That haul is $13k. So ya closer to 25k powered, tanks, trailer, and goodies. But your correct at sky’s the limit with them.

View attachment 237091

Dang that’s a lot cheaper than I thought. I called wooldridge about an Alaskan XL a few years ago and had to act like I was t shocked when they gave me the price quote.

I got into my Lowe with everything for ~ 14k.

John pettimore

Lil-Rokslider
Op, look to the East. Missouri and Arkansas are littered with exactly what you are looking for, and a lot of steering wheel boats (which I prefer) Not sure about Kansas, I assume so, and might save you some driving.

I have run jet boats my entire life. In fact I just sold my 1860 Blazer with a 60 hp at the end of September when I was preparing to move to CO.

Nykki

Lil-Rokslider
I would not want a tiller on a jet, I've got a 24ft inboard. I myself like to be up front so I can read the water, sitting in the back trying to so over the bow kinda sucks. Get a boat with a center console and wheel.

Felix40

WKR
I’m a big fan of a wheel for a decent sized jet like you will need. Put a suicide ball on it and you can maneuver just as fast as a tiller plus you have forward/reverse a lot quicker too. Compared to a surface drive I would rather have a jet if I was using it where there’s not much vegetation. It doesn’t take much veg at all to be a real pain in a jet. For a boat the size you are talking, I wouldn’t go any smaller than a 90hp or so.

def90

WKR
Just buy the boat and motor separately if a dealer doesn’t carry what you are looking for. The boat you are asking about is pretty run of the mill and widely available everywhere.. then put something like this on it:

Boats are like trucks = no replacement for displacement. I now run a older used 20' Alaskan II with a 225 Optimax. There is no one perfect boat. I have a few beat up kayaks, and a Zodiac. Wife wants a ski surf boat, so next boat might be a 22' with over 400hp. Buy used. Boats depreciate very fast and many buy and sell frequently.
Check out Idaho based jet boat form called Mean Chicken. Lots of good info there

Last edited:
Well I’ve got a Wooldridge, a North River Scout, a willie predator and an Allumaweld. no brand loyalty but I’m convinced the wooldridge and the North River handle best. Six 18 /56 Lowe’s.
All are tiller jets. I run 60s on the little boats with the exception of one 90. The 90 is very fast but gets better mileage then the 60HP.
I’ve patched untold number of holes in the Lowe’s one on the North River.
I much prefer tiller to steering wheel. While I’ve jumped logs and gravel bars it’s pretty damn easy to punch a hole in the little boats. You need a rifle to punch a hole in the Wooldridge.
I think if I was running super thin water with sweepers the Wooldridge Alaskan would be my first choice. But Glen is awful proud of his boats.