Boat recommendations

RAPTOR

WKR
My background, lots of boats big and small, power and sail. Suggest you look for inland NC lake boat vs salt boat. Power should be Yamaha (1) or (2) Merc. Skip the rest, lower your risk and maintain your resale. You should also be willing to repower a boat with the right deal. Stay far far far away from junk, focus only on center consoles, do not be emotional which means "cute" is not part of the process honey, you can buy head at Home Depot w a handle for $5. Be cognizant about draft for skinny water and actually lay down in the boat. Typically smaller than you think. No seats, leaning post only, boat is too little, seats will beat you up and take up space. Ask what gas they use, pump gas w ethanol eats fuel and tank systems. If it wasn't for the Resturant scene, I would be suggesting you even consider a flats boat, your coastal fishing is awesome, can layout a little. For offshore, charter. $25k is not a lot of offshore come home boat, sorry. I would look for older Hydro Sport, Regulator, Mako, Whaler. BE PATIENT, the deal is out there, you just need to track it down. And, read up on maintenance and elbow grease. You can buff out a chalky boat and make it gleam, save a bunch. Good luck.

*Power should be Yamaha (1), or (2) Honda, or (3) Merc

burlap

FNG
The boat you want will handle rough water well and have enough foam flotation to add structural stability and lessen the pounding of a rough water ride.

If you will be fishing shallow waters or anything with flooded flats/timber, you need a low draft boat, but a flared v hull to handle the rough water.

In a fishing boat, you will want a sizeable deck to move around on without tripping over benches, chairs, or whatever seating.

Nothing wrong with a dual consol, especially on colder or stormy days.

I don't have a bay boat or a "walleye" boat. The one I have was made for two things; fishing and getting there quick.
I'm curious. What type of dual console (I assumed) do you have?

BTW, a way to get everything that the dual console gives you with a T Top are T Top Curtains It's a fairly cheap <$2k upgrade that's very adaptable.
unnamed.jpg

Apples to oranges, my dude. A sport Fisher is so much larger than a sea ray/seadoo/Chris craft style boat. It is going to have a huge stern fish fighting/landing area. Typically has a rear door. That's like comparing a cruiser to and aircraft carrier. They're wildly different sizes with different usages.

A split windshield is going to be really hard to get a fisherman and a gaffer side by side to bring a big fish on board.

Also, the split windshield bows are typically not very accepting to a bow mount trolling motor or bow casting.

I haven't seen a boat built for salt water that also is able to easily handle what I've described. A walleye boat would probably work, but I think it would rust out in a season or two. So buying a used walleye boat to put in the marsh is living on borrowed time.

Will a split windshield work for fishing? Yeah, poorly. Is it really dumb for offshore fishing? Yeah, very. Is it really dumb for inshore fishing? Yeah, very. Is really dumb for cruising/water sports? No, that's what it was designed for-not fishing.

You can make a split windshield work, it's just not designed for fishing. The center console is just superior for the OPs wish list.

For all the benefits of my awesome dual console, a little more effort to gaff a fish is fine by me. OP is mostly inshore/Bay and family.

Dual console is so much better laid out for family fun.

And I must just be naturally nimble, because I have never had a problem walking through the 30" wide center walkway with a fish on, nor have any of my passengers.

If dude was going offshore for bull mahi I'd be more in your court. But end use is the most important thing in deciding which type of boat to buy.

Apples to oranges, my dude. A sport Fisher is so much larger than a sea ray/seadoo/Chris craft style boat. It is going to have a huge stern fish fighting/landing area. Typically has a rear door. That's like comparing a cruiser to and aircraft carrier. They're wildly different sizes with different usages.

A split windshield is going to be really hard to get a fisherman and a gaffer side by side to bring a big fish on board.

Also, the split windshield bows are typically not very accepting to a bow mount trolling motor or bow casting.

I haven't seen a boat built for salt water that also is able to easily handle what I've described. A walleye boat would probably work, but I think it would rust out in a season or two. So buying a used walleye boat to put in the marsh is living on borrowed time.

Will a split windshield work for fishing? Yeah, poorly. Is it really dumb for offshore fishing? Yeah, very. Is it really dumb for inshore fishing? Yeah, very. Is really dumb for cruising/water sports? No, that's what it was designed for-not fishing.

You can make a split windshield work, it's just not designed for fishing. The center console is just superior for the OPs wish list.

For all the benefits of my awesome dual console, a little more effort to gaff a fish is fine by me. OP is mostly inshore/Bay and family.

And I must just be naturally nimble, because I have never had a problem walking through the 30" wide center walkway with a fish on, nor have any of my passengers.

If dude was going offshore for bull mahi I'd be more in your court. But end use is the most important thing in deciding which type of boat to buy. My little Tidewater DC196 has seen more family fun than any center console I ever had. Nice riding, dry boat that can still get into most of our creeks. Also has a ton more room aft for fishing or dive gear than many other dual consoles.

unnamed.jpg

burlap

FNG

If dude was going offshore for bull mahi I'd be more in your court. But end use is the most important thing in deciding which type of boat to buy. My little Tidewater DC196 has seen more family fun than any center console I ever had. Nice riding, dry boat that can still get into most of our creeks. Also has a ton more room aft for fishing or dive gear than many other dual consoles.

View attachment 191428
Looks like a cool boat. I'm glad it works for you.

I think it comes down to what you're trying to do. If you're more "boater," then the above could work. If you're more fisherman, then you really can't even consider the above. I looked over the rear end, and you're not gaffing anything back there. So, you're restricted to a net, and while tons of the ultra fast pelagics have been landed with a net, it's not the best.

The flared bow definitely testifies to the dry ride, but you're not putting a trolling motor up there with those rails or without sacrificing access to your anchor locker.

It looks like a great drift/anchor and soak boat. I don't see much "active fishing" occurring, but if that's not your thing, then please ignore my boat snobbery.

To each there own, but you'd have to pay me to get into one of those boats, even for a ride. I'm fisherman all the way, and a boat is a tool to get me to fish.

I've just been around boats for a long time, and I know what the right tool for the job is. A center console with skirts gives you literally everything that the above gives you, but with a ton more options. Not to mention a head. Name a person that prefers peeing in a bucket over the option of a head, and I'll show you a liar.

Looks like a cool boat. I'm glad it works for you.

I think it comes down to what you're trying to do. If you're more "boater," then the above could work. If you're more fisherman, then you really can't even consider the above. I looked over the rear end, and you're not gaffing anything back there. So, you're restricted to a net, and while tons of the ultra fast pelagics have been landed with a net, it's not the best.

The flared bow definitely testifies to the dry ride, but you're not putting a trolling motor up there with those rails or without sacrificing access to your anchor locker.

It looks like a great drift/anchor and soak boat. I don't see much "active fishing" occurring, but if that's not your thing, then please ignore my boat snobbery.

To each there own, but you'd have to pay me to get into one of those boats, even for a ride. I'm fisherman all the way, and a boat is a tool to get me to fish.

I've just been around boats for a long time, and I know what the right tool for the job is. A center console with skirts gives you literally everything that the above gives you, but with a ton more options. Not to mention a head. Name a person that prefers peeing in a bucket over the option of a head, and I'll show you a liar.

This guy is leaning toward 18 - 20 feet. There is no problem doing any kind of inshore fishing with that boat. I've owned and run many boats since I was 8 years old. That's 50 years ago. I've fished from Edisto to Bulls Bay for 39 years and haven't had any of the problems you mention.

You are definitely right about the trolling motor. You have to pull the port rail to install it, and I've seen several examples on this exact boat. It is a definely multi purpose, just not nearly as bad for fishing as you describe in my experience.

I'm not trying to compare myself to you. I am sure you are a great fisherman. I just want the OP to be aware of my experience when he considers my suggestions.

burlap

FNG
This guy is leaning toward 18 - 20 feet. There is no problem doing any kind of inshore fishing with that boat. I've owned and run many boats since I was 8 years old. That's 50 years ago. I've fished from Edisto to Bulls Bay for 39 years and haven't had any of the problems you mention.

You are definitely right about the trolling motor. You have to pull the port rail to install it, and I've seen several examples on this exact boat. It is a definely multi purpose, just not nearly as bad for fishing as you describe in my experience.

I'm not trying to compare myself to you. I am sure you are a great fisherman. I just want the OP to be aware of my experience when he considers my suggestions.
Same. I'd never try to be nasty to another Charlestonian. There's enough of those sorts of folks around as it is.

Inshore, you're really not catching that many big fish that require a gaff anyways...unless you're into the cobia. I don't know about skate, I've always just either sliced when I saw a tail barb or pulled the hook with it still in the water.

He did mention offshore, so I do think that counts you out for any sort of offshore trolling. You'd be fine at CHS 60, though.

Same. I'd never try to be nasty to another Charlestonian. There's enough of those sorts of folks around as it is.

Inshore, you're really not catching that many big fish that require a gaff anyways...unless you're into the cobia. I don't know about skate, I've always just either sliced when I saw a tail barb or pulled the hook with it still in the water.

He did mention offshore, so I do think that counts you out for any sort of offshore trolling. You'd be fine at CHS 60, though.

You may be right. He may want to do more fishing than I think. Based on his posts, it sounds to me like he wants a family boat that he can also fish.

This dual console is the first I have ever owned. I never considered one before that. But my wife wanted to do what the OP's wants to do, cruise and hit the restaurants. I was worried it would hurt my fishing. I've had it for 11 years and it has done everything I have asked. I have not taken it past the jetties. But I wouldn't hesitate to do that too. Any of the near shore reefs would be great. It does not sound like he had actual experience with true off shore, so I didn't seriously consider that in my recommendation. Sorry if I am wrong about that.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
What about sea pro boats? The bay 208, or 288?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
I always tell folks to rent a boat for a day or two to test run it. You have to try a few before you buy. To see what's your style. See what you can handle.

You gonna trailer it? Do you have a truck that can pull it? A place to park it? Maybe you can wet or dry dock it, check the rates. Some folks store em at a self storage place... Lots of options.

Boats are fun, can't beat a nice day on the water. Best of luck to you.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
You mentioned Sea Pros and Key Wests, nothing wrong with them.....they are right there with all the other 2 piece hull usual suspects from a quality standpoint....Sea Hunt, Tidewater, Sportsman, etc....

Based on your different potential uses and your other posts, if I were you I would look for a 17-19 ft Scout. If she would be OK with less frills, see if you can find a Cape Horn 17.

I assume you are on boattrader and craigslist.....as this is the site for western hunting, thehulltruth is the site for boating

Last edited:
Try looking up Thunder Jet Luxor, Alexis Classic or a Custom Weld Storm. Lots of power, tough as nails, can smash waves, run rivers, get into skinny water. Inboard jets are fun. nice platform over the dog house for sunbathing and fishing machines. Weld Craft, Wooldridge, and Duckworth are all good boats for fishing and family fun. Thought I would throw this out as few have mentioned big river running aluminum fishing boats..

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
I ended up going with a seapro bay 172 model. So far it’s everything I could ask for!

def90

WKR
I ended up going with a seapro bay 172 model. So far it’s everything I could ask for!

I just saw this thread, my dad lives on the coast in Wilmington NC and I grew up fishing in Minnesota so I know about both worlds (inland lakes and ocean going) and was going to respond with a small center console. Looks like you already went that way. Congrats! You wont be able to go out on the ocean on those days when the waves are over 3ft but there is plenty of intercoastal waterway that you can explore and the lakes will be no problem. Now you need to master a cast net and do some shrimping.

Try looking up Thunder Jet Luxor, Alexis Classic or a Custom Weld Storm. Lots of power, tough as nails, can smash waves, run rivers, get into skinny water. Inboard jets are fun. nice platform over the dog house for sunbathing and fishing machines. Weld Craft, Wooldridge, and Duckworth are all good boats for fishing and family fun. Thought I would throw this out as few have mentioned big river running aluminum fishing boats..

Don't forget Hewes Craft... I currently do most of my fishing out of a 200 Pro V with extended transom and 150 Honda. It keeps a bloody deck some times of the year. Not sure I'd have one out east but it's excellent out west.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
I just saw this thread, my dad lives on the coast in Wilmington NC and I grew up fishing in Minnesota so I know about both worlds (inland lakes and ocean going) and was going to respond with a small center console. Looks like you already went that way. Congrats! You wont be able to go out on the ocean on those days when the waves are over 3ft but there is plenty of intercoastal waterway that you can explore and the lakes will be no problem. Now you need to master a cast net and do some shrimping.

My co-workers have all done the shrimping and crabbing and they no longer have boats... they all do the family stuff so they said if I bring them out they will show me the ropes! So I’m pretty happy!
Realistically anything that is over 3’ I don’t go out in anyway because I get sea sick. So I’m hoping this lets me do anything I want

View attachment 191428
Sure. She has been doing it for a lifetime. I wish no ill will of anyone.I’ve had Liberals in my family I disagreed with 1000%.
She did what she thought was right in her mind. Kudos.
With that said, I sure hope MY PRESIDENT DJT appoints someone who thinks more like me.

People who haven't fished open dual consoles don't understand just how great they fish. Mine has more fishing room than any 21' and under CC I have owned. I had no idea just how much I was going to enjoy mine until I started using it. I have caught everything from Tuna to grouper, to snapper to speckled trout to largemouth bass on mine. My only complaint is that I don't get to use it enough.

I can second the Hewescraft boats, I bought a new 1996 SeaRunner 21 when I was living on Kodiak Island, moved to Southern AZ in 1998, used it in the sea of Cortez launching off the beach, off San Diego 60 miles out tuna fishing, and on the Colorado River dodging sandbars. Moved to Kauai in 2002 and shipped it over there where we fished all around the island for 6 years. Moved back to AZ in 2008 and fishing Mexico and the Colorado River. Did a complete rehab in 2014 and replaced the 2 stroke Yamaha with a 2013 4 stroke. I run a 4 blade prop with the motor on the second hole mounts and it will run on plane in 1.3' over sand bars. Great boat, lots of fishing room and will do 40 mph and gets 5.5 gal. per hour when cruising at 30.
de71ff142188cc8f46a55dfbbf09f041.jpg

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk