Boat recommendations

Dunndm

WKR
My wife and I just recently moved to SC. We are planning on getting a boat that I can use to fish the river, and more inland fishing. I will do some bay/off shore fishing but pretty rarely. She wants to lay out on it, and cruise around to restaurants and do the cruising scene. Well we both do haha. I’m just curious what do you guys and gals recommend? I was looking into bayliner E18(hard to go out in any sort of chop because the M haul), sting ray(but they are expensive) and then some other random boats. My price range is preferably 18-24k 25 if it’s a nice boat.

I’m not a complete beginner with boats. I have driven my fathers boat many many times. I had my own aluminum 16’ fishing boat, so I’m by no mean experienced but have a good idea of what boating is about.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m in SoCal and run a catamaran, but monohull center consoles are great too. We run a Twin Vee brand with twin outboards. Our waters here on the Pacific are quite a bit different than NC. The lakes we run on are usually pretty big (Lake Mohave, Mead, etc.). Wind chop, the catamaran hull eats that stuff up, which the wife really likes. We do more ocean stuff than freshwater and we don’t have as much “inshore” as the east coast. Weekends to Catalina Island and offshore for fishing. Again catamaran hull has some advantages but a mono hull will give you a lot of choices. I would definitely choose outboard power over inboard. A center console rig would be nice for what you describe and would be “fishable”. A modern 4-stroke outboard is very reliable and low maintenance. You should be able to find some really good used boats In the size you are looking for.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
I’m in SoCal and run a catamaran, but monohull center consoles are great too. We run a Twin Vee brand with twin outboards. Our waters here on the Pacific are quite a bit different than NC. The lakes we run on are usually pretty big (Lake Mohave, Mead, etc.). Wind chop, the catamaran hull eats that stuff up, which the wife really likes. We do more ocean stuff than freshwater and we don’t have as much “inshore” as the east coast. Weekends to Catalina Island and offshore for fishing. Again catamaran hull has some advantages but a mono hull will give you a lot of choices. I would definitely choose outboard power over inboard. A center console rig would be nice for what you describe and would be “fishable”. A modern 4-stroke outboard is very reliable and low maintenance. You should be able to find some really good used boats In the size you are looking for.

We moved here from Orange County hahah, grew up there my entire life. So I’m in the same “boat” as you hahah. I know the waters out there really well, but idk how much chop really I’ll be going through, or how shallow it’ll get. It’s all questions I guess for a salesman. But it’s just hard to trust a salesman...

You are on Rokslide, so you obviously like to hunt. You’ll want to go fishing too. Get something you can fish with, you want a center console with an outboard I think. Wife can sun on cushions in the bow and you will be able to wet a line. Low maintenance...

A buddy’s dad retired to NC from OC a few years ago, he runs a 21’ center console “inshore” there. He had bigger salt water boat in Dana Point before. Golf and fish is what he does now.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
You are on Rokslide, so you obviously like to hunt. You’ll want to go fishing too. Get something you can fish with, you want a center console with an outboard I think. Wife can sun on cushions in the bow and you will be able to wet a line. Low maintenance...

A buddy’s dad retired to NC from OC a few years ago, he runs a 21’ center console “inshore” there. He had bigger salt water boat in Dana Point before. Golf and fish is what he does now.

The center consoles are all so expensive it’s crazy. That’s what I’ve been looking into but it’s a good 10k more than what I really want to spend. Got any idea on a good model boat? Haha

I'd go bay boat personally. Take your pick of manufacturers. Locally Tidewater boats makes some very nice riding setups. Bay boat would give you the maneuverability in shallower water but still have the ability to take it out a little bit in calmer conditions. Most have really nice setups that transition from lounging to fishing.

20 foot dual console. Troubles fishing a dual console are exaggerated. I have no problem with it.

Dual console gives you and especially your wife/passenger a windshield that makes winter rides not only possible but fun. Nothing as awesome as cruising on glass on a sunny February day.

And as my wife put it when I was trying to decide what to buy, dual console gives you "fun in front and fishing in the back". :)

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
My background, lots of boats big and small, power and sail. Suggest you look for inland NC lake boat vs salt boat. Power should be Yamaha (1) or (2) Merc. Skip the rest, lower your risk and maintain your resale. You should also be willing to repower a boat with the right deal. Stay far far far away from junk, focus only on center consoles, do not be emotional which means "cute" is not part of the process honey, you can buy head at Home Depot w a handle for $5. Be cognizant about draft for skinny water and actually lay down in the boat. Typically smaller than you think. No seats, leaning post only, boat is too little, seats will beat you up and take up space. Ask what gas they use, pump gas w ethanol eats fuel and tank systems. If it wasn't for the Resturant scene, I would be suggesting you even consider a flats boat, your coastal fishing is awesome, can layout a little. For offshore, charter. $25k is not a lot of offshore come home boat, sorry. I would look for older Hydro Sport, Regulator, Mako, Whaler. BE PATIENT, the deal is out there, you just need to track it down. And, read up on maintenance and elbow grease. You can buff out a chalky boat and make it gleam, save a bunch. Good luck.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
My background, lots of boats big and small, power and sail. Suggest you look for inland NC lake boat vs salt boat. Power should be Yamaha (1) or (2) Merc. Skip the rest, lower your risk and maintain your resale. You should also be willing to repower a boat with the right deal. Stay far far far away from junk, focus only on center consoles, do not be emotional which means "cute" is not part of the process honey, you can buy head at Home Depot w a handle for $5. Be cognizant about draft for skinny water and actually lay down in the boat. Typically smaller than you think. No seats, leaning post only, boat is too little, seats will beat you up and take up space. Ask what gas they use, pump gas w ethanol eats fuel and tank systems. If it wasn't for the Resturant scene, I would be suggesting you even consider a flats boat, your coastal fishing is awesome, can layout a little. For offshore, charter. $25k is not a lot of offshore come home boat, sorry. I would look for older Hydro Sport, Regulator, Mako, Whaler. BE PATIENT, the deal is out there, you just need to track it down. And, read up on maintenance and elbow grease. You can buff out a chalky boat and make it gleam, save a bunch. Good luck.

Thank you, I appreciate the response. I’ve had a junk boat. Breaking down in a car is 1 thing, but breaking down in a boat absolutely sucks.

I’ll look into an older used boat then, I was going to try and stay “new Er” but I guess anything taken care of well is going to have to do.

A Sea ark or Carolina skiff fits what you described pretty good.

Here’s the thing, you are going to compromise to some degree to get a recreational boat that doubles as a fishing boat. I’m sure there are other brands that offer as good a compromise as the two I’ve listed but, I only have experience with those two models.

My Brother lives over near Raleigh. I’ve spent a lot of time with him and his buddies in boats on the kind of water you’ll be in. A Sea Ark is an aluminum hull that really cuts through chop very well. They will get up and down the lake in a hurry too. A skiff is a slower boat but, would handle big water better. Both have large open decks and would accommodate sun bathing well. And, both are designed to be fished.

I don’t know your budget but, neither are cheap. Even when used. Good luck in your search.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR

Here’s the thing, you are going to compromise to some degree to get a recreational boat that doubles as a fishing boat. I’m sure there are other brands that offer as good a compromise as the two I’ve listed but, I only have experience with those two models.

My Brother lives over near Raleigh. I’ve spent a lot of time with him and his buddies in boats on the kind of water you’ll be in. A Sea Ark is an aluminum hull that really cuts through chop very well. They will get up and down the lake in a hurry too. A skiff is a slower boat but, would handle big water better. Both have large open decks and would accommodate sun bathing well. And, both are designed to be fished.

I don’t know your budget but, neither are cheap. Even when used. Good luck in your search.

I just looked in the SC skiff and those are pretty neat. Center console, 17’ with a Vee so it should handle chop ok, and it’s a 4 stroke our board so it would be able to get relatively Low in water.

They are good boats. They really are. Same with the Sea Ark. They too are great for what you’d want. My brothers runs a 130 HP mercury on his and that thing will boogey. It’ll pull skiers out of the water no problem.

The Sea Ark has a Lifetime warranty and the Carolina Skiff has a 10 year warranty. Both are great boats and either would get you in the game for less money than most boats capable of doing what you want to do. But, neither are cheap. lol.

Good luck in your search.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

I guess it depends on the sea ark, I have one and it dosent cut through waves at all, it’s a flat bottomed skiff so it slaps hard when the waives pick up.

SDHNTR

WKR
Anything but a Bayliner! Seriously a simple Google search will tell you all you need to know.

I would buy a used Boston whaler 19 foot Montauk. Yes, before anybody tries to take me to task, they did make a 19 footer. It would check all your boxes nicely. Safe, quality and capable.

My wife and I just recently moved to SC. We are planning on getting a boat that I can use to fish the river, and more inland fishing. I will do some bay/off shore fishing but pretty rarely. She wants to lay out on it, and cruise around to restaurants and do the cruising scene. Well we both do haha. I’m just curious what do you guys and gals recommend? I was looking into bayliner E18(hard to go out in any sort of chop because the M haul), sting ray(but they are expensive) and then some other random boats. My price range is preferably 18-24k 25 if it’s a nice boat.

I’m not a complete beginner with boats. I have driven my fathers boat many many times. I had my own aluminum 16’ fishing boat, so I’m by no mean experienced but have a good idea of what boating is about.

Thanks in advance.

I’ve worked on just about all the major boat manufacturers shoot me a text if you have any specific questions with boats/motors. A 22-26 foot center console with a reliable outboard is very much possible in your price range. Yamaha Suzuki Honda are good stay away from Evinrude/Merc, that’s coming from a certified Merc Mechanic. Don’t do bayliner or proline
Dan
978-882-2643

burlap

FNG
Go used. I'm guessing you're doing the Charleston thing. I'm from there, and I'd recommend a center console in the 21"+ class. Go for a "bay boat" or deep vee. Bay boat gives you the most flexibility. 115 hp+ Yamaha 4 stroke, with a preference towards 150 hp.

Get a t top. You'll need it. Skirts are nice to keep you in the water later in the year. Your lady is going to ride as close to the transom as possible. It's the smoothest, and she can duck out of the wind there.

Do not get a twin console if you want to fish. They're a nightmare for landing big fish. Anyone who is trying to do a dual console in the ocean is going to have real trouble gaffing a 60 lb mahi, or cobia on the river.

My dad has a tide water and likes it.

I'm in Denver, (military mover), and I still have my flats boat. It just straight up out performs the fresh water boats, but you'll get smoked in any chop in chs harbor.

If I were you, I'd go for a deep vee (contender style, but you can't afford that brand), 23' with a 175 hp.

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Anything but a Bayliner! Seriously a simple Google search will tell you all you need to know.

I would buy a used Boston whaler 19 foot Montauk. Yes, before anybody tries to take me to task, they did make a 19 footer. It would check all your boxes nicely. Safe, quality and capable.

So funny you said that. I’m looking at those right now, along with sting ray 186CC center consoles both used. That and how are key west boats?

OP
Dunndm

Dunndm

WKR
Go used. I'm guessing you're doing the Charleston thing. I'm from there, and I'd recommend a center console in the 21"+ class. Go for a "bay boat" or deep vee. Bay boat gives you the most flexibility. 115 hp+ Yamaha 4 stroke, with a preference towards 150 hp.

Get a t top. You'll need it. Skirts are nice to keep you in the water later in the year. Your lady is going to ride as close to the transom as possible. It's the smoothest, and she can duck out of the wind there.

Do not get a twin console if you want to fish. They're a nightmare for landing big fish. Anyone who is trying to do a dual console in the ocean is going to have real trouble gaffing a 60 lb mahi, or cobia on the river.

My dad has a tide water and likes it.

I'm in Denver, (military mover), and I still have my flats boat. It just straight up out performs the fresh water boats, but you'll get smoked in any chop in chs harbor.

If I were you, I'd go for a deep vee (contender style, but you can't afford that brand), 23' with a 175 hp.

I was taking a look at the key west, sting ray and Boston whaler. All about 17-21’ with a 115+ motors on them. You think any of that’ll work? All have semi-deep Vees but nothing crazy