Boats

I get that the engines on boats are expensive, but explain to me how a boat engine can be $30K. We had a couple boats growing up but the was a long time ago and they were sold prior to any major repairs.

This is probably not apples to apples but I can put a brand new 6.7L power stroke diesel in my F250 for around $15K.

On an outboard, the engine isn't just the engine. It's also the prop, shaft, housing, mount, tilt, cooling system, computer, steering system, full set of controls, etc etc. You could put a $15K diesel in your boat, but it would be an inboard and would be the engine only, then you'd need to buy/install all those extras I mention above.

Fatcamp

WKR
Listed a small boat, motor, and trailer for sale today. Within an hour I had 4 people in line. First guy to look at it bought it.

Crazy.

Current boat: 16' Lund Alaskan

KIMG3682.JPG

I’ve been working on boats since I was a kid and couldn’t imagine life without one. The hassle they create is far outweighed by time on the water. I’ve got a few just by knocking on doors, I’ll say I noticed your boat hasn’t moved for a couple years are you interested in selling. I got our family beach boat doing that a few years ago for 650. I acquired 2 canoes last year doing the same thing. I have boats my wife doesn’t even know about. I was given a duck boat a few months ago that needs a motor that I stashed at a buddies because I have no space for It. If your mechanically inclined you’ll save a lot of money and know the work was done right if not you’ll spend 400 to replace a 40$ water pump. I say go for it everyone deserves a boat.
23889970-E00F-4F0D-A337-9C5CD91E5BF5.jpeg1F2FB9CF-53D7-4E2A-AEC8-3C84E0F7446D.pngD0F5EE61-FFF3-4FFA-BB9C-CB04C5479510.jpeg86E925C8-730A-494D-9752-D66579F02E3B.png03E90988-23FB-41B5-9B85-7DC87F7C1C9C.jpeg

Fatcamp

WKR
I’ve been working on boats since I was a kid and couldn’t imagine life without one. The hassle they create is far outweighed by time on the water. I’ve got a few just by knocking on doors, I’ll say I noticed your boat hasn’t moved for a couple years are you interested in selling. I got our family beach boat doing that a few years ago for 650. I acquired 2 canoes last year doing the same thing. I have boats my wife doesn’t even know about. I was given a duck boat a few months ago that needs a motor that I stashed at a buddies because I have no space for It. If your mechanically inclined you’ll save a lot of money and know the work was done right if not you’ll spend 400 to replace a 40$ water pump. I say go for it everyone deserves a boat.
View attachment 282217View attachment 282218View attachment 282219View attachment 282220View attachment 282221

*Roksliders nationwide begin knocking on doors* 😁

My current boat was owned by my wife's job. They mentioned they had a boat not being used and needed to sell it. I asked out of curiosity more than anything. Turned out to be a wise decision. $800 and some elbow grease later.... Thing is almost brand new. The original impeller was still good! Moved stuff off my old boat to the new one and sold that for about what I paid for it 4 years ago.

I was able to leap into that (it did not look good to the untrained eye) due to being comfortable with boats, trailers, and motors. If you want it you just need to start and take your lumps while you learn.

Last edited:

nrh6.7

WKR
On an outboard, the engine isn't just the engine. It's also the prop, shaft, housing, mount, tilt, cooling system, computer, steering system, full set of controls, etc etc. You could put a $15K diesel in your boat, but it would be an inboard and would be the engine only, then you'd need to buy/install all those extras I mention above.
Thanks for the explanation.

It helps if your mechanical and can maintain motor equipment. We have had boats for 30+ years and never had major problems. It’s minor stuff like wheel bearings on trailers, replacing filters, cleaning and flushing motors.
Like others have said here Outboards are easier to deal with. They are not money pits compared to small aircraft or snow mobiles. I have wasted way more money on snow machines than boats. Think of them like full sized trucks in terms of cost of use. I wash my boat, inspect and constantly maintain.

gbflyer

WKR
Water on 3 sides of where I live. Salt water. Little different than the 18’ fish and ski. My friends come to see me from the lower USA and just shake their heads.

We put some time in our boats to be sure. I got this one 2 years ago. 25’ welded aluminum, 1/4” bottom and 3/16 sides with 1/2” framing members. Bought it knowing it needed some updates:

ea5e92c832fcd0d4ab3f7beb6ea7829c.jpg

$3K in new suspension seat parts. I have the ability and tools to do most fabrication and welding myself:

8f8fd9ccf7fb92b9dac9200fc88f1196.jpg

$25K repower:

9b96d66b2e1e09f099a3c3aadc18fc45.jpg

It’s 15gal/hr underway. Painful at the pump, try not to think about it too much. The redundancy of the twins is comforting on a crummy day. We don’t go to movies, shopping centers, basketball games, bars, etc. and the truck that pulls it is 20 years old. It takes us fishing, hunting, and carries stuff to my friends remote cabin. It would be much more boring around here without a good boat.

Water on 3 sides of where I live. Salt water. Little different than the 18’ fish and ski. My friends come to see me from the lower USA and just shake their heads.

We put some time in our boats to be sure. I got this one 2 years ago. 25’ welded aluminum, 1/4” bottom and 3/16 sides with 1/2” framing members. Bought it knowing it needed some updates:

ea5e92c832fcd0d4ab3f7beb6ea7829c.jpg

$3K in new suspension seat parts. I have the ability and tools to do most fabrication and welding myself:

8f8fd9ccf7fb92b9dac9200fc88f1196.jpg

$25K repower:

9b96d66b2e1e09f099a3c3aadc18fc45.jpg

It’s 15gal/hr underway. Painful at the pump, try not to think about it too much. The redundancy of the twins is comforting on a crummy day. We don’t go to movies, shopping centers, basketball games, bars, etc. and the truck that pulls it is 20 years old. It takes us fishing, hunting, and carries stuff to my friends remote cabin. It would be much more boring around here without a good boat.
Sweet setup. Love the landing craft with walk-around deck.

I am from Kansas and live in Springfield MO now. Everyone is telling you to rent a boat, but you really don't have that option if you are going to one of the Core of Eng reservoirs I assume.

We keep our boat on a slip at Table Rock, but again you don't really have alot of options for storing, unless you get lucky to get on the waiting list if the lakes you are thinking even have a single marina there.

We sold our lake boat last summer and got something else. Love having a boat for the family and all that so I keep up with whats out there and the $$ for them. Right now is not the time to buy a boat unfortunately. Take the funds you were thinking of buying a boat with and spend a couple long weekends at Table Rock. Stay in cabins, rent a boat, and enjoy the scenery. Revisit the boat when things aren't ridiculous. You'll probably be money ahead. If you can be flexible with dates you can probably find some nice cabins on TR for this summer. Beaver in AR is another beautiful place. Last summer and I am assuming this will be the same was crazy busy with people not "flying" somewhere but driving to the lakes around here. Lake of the Ozarks, Beaver, Table Rock, Bull Shoals etc.

My dad bought a 15 year old lund 8 years ago for $3200, and sold it a few weeks ago for 4k.......and that was in Kansas which you could get absolute steals on boats up until last year.

I have owned several boats and recently made a purchase to satisfy the needs mentioned in the OP, along with fishing/crabbing on the open ocean. I’ve been using heavy gauged aluminum boats for years and they do just fine in big water. Suspension seats help!

Many manufacturers make a “fish/ski” setup which is basically a “multi-species”fishing boat with cushions that can be laid out on the front deck. The rear deck can be flipped up and expose extra seating and a ski pylon receiver. Pretty handy.

I also recommend Yamaha. They are reliable and quiet. I’ve had newer Mercury outboards and they weren’t bad, but also not as refined as the Yamaha.

As far as electronics, if you won’t be fishing hard core, I’d recommend a simple depth finder/GPS chart plotter. Don’t go base model, they won’t update real-time. This way you’ll know where you’re going, where you’ve been, and if you’re about to hit bottom.

I’m currently running a welded boat. I’ve owned Lunds, which are riveted, and they were just fine. Brands I would look at are Lund, Crestliner, Alumacraft, G3, Lowe, Polar Kraft, Smoker Craft, Duckworth, Weldcraft, Hewes Craft, Alumaweld, and River Hawk.

Here’s my boat:
FB6AB3E5-9F3E-48A2-94E5-293D535644E6.jpeg
Duckworth Advantage Sport 18’, Yamaha V-Max SHO 115hp (three 220# guys, full tank, 38-40 mph), Yamaha 9.9 High Thrust kicker, Minn-Kota Terrova i-Pilot 80#/24v, Lowrance HDS II chart/EZ-Loader trailer

OP
kda082

kda082

WKR
If we do it, it will be soon and yep I know we’ll take it in the shorts. My daughter is in her last year of college, son sophomore but will hopefully return to class IN PERSON in the fall. Financially we can swing it now, maybe get 2-3 years of good memories before everyone moves on with their lives. Thanks everyone! Probably should have done this years ago but sports tied up our weekends.

OP
kda082

kda082

WKR
Went with a new Hurricane Sundeck Sport 185OB. Not huge or luxurious, but checked our boxes. Live well and fish finder, decent capacity, added a ski tower. Very few new boats in stock, used prices are nuts. Went beyond our budget but will hopefully make some good memories. Thanks for all the useful input!

Went with a new Hurricane Sundeck Sport 185OB. Not huge or luxurious, but checked our boxes. Live well and fish finder, decent capacity, added a ski tower. Very few new boats in stock, used prices are nuts. Went beyond our budget but will hopefully make some good memories. Thanks for all the useful input!
Pics or it didn’t happen

OP
kda082

kda082

WKR
Will do. They have to install a Bimini top that was listed on ad but not spec’d. Also ordered a tower which looks like a post, but sure as sh*t costs more than a post. I hope to pick it up next week.

Manufacturer of the boat I ordered in Feb announced a $4k increase April 1st all due to cost of parts and material.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk