Bob Marshall Mule Deer

jpmulk

WKR
Has anyone much experience mule deer hunting in the Bob Marshall?

I’m looking at doing some backcountry scouting/ hunting a few spots in there for mule deer. I am well aware deer populations are low. But I know of a few guys who have done very well in that country chasing mature mule deer.

Things I am looking to learn more about:

Weather patterns related to deer behavior
How late you can access
Migratory patterns
Deer preferred elevations
Lessons learned

A buddy and I will be hiking in 10-12 miles on foot. No horses or llamas. DIY.

Anyone with real experience willing to share what they have learned regarding their mule deer hunt experience there? Not looking to hear about low populations and how hard it is… I am aware.

Thanks.

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone much experience mule deer hunting in the Bob Marshall?

I’m looking at doing some backcountry scouting/ hunting a few spots in there for mule deer. I am well aware deer populations are low. But I know of a few guys who have done very well in that country chasing mature mule deer.

Things I am looking to learn more about:

Weather patterns related to deer behavior
How late you can access
Migratory patterns
Deer preferred elevations
Lessons learned

A buddy and I will be hiking in 10-12 miles on foot. No horses or llamas. DIY.

Anyone with real experience willing to share what they have learned regarding their mule deer hunt experience there? Not looking to hear about low populations and how hard it is… I am aware.

Thanks.

That's ROUGH county, probably the roughest in the lower 48. Not something I'd screw around with.

2 yrs ago, me, some family & a buddy did a pack hunt for elk with an outfitter in The Bob Complex. We were 12 miles back on horses. We couldn't have done it without horses. Humping it with camp & a weeks worth of supplies--I give you all the credit in the world jumping back that deep on your two legs. That's no joke, big boy country. Just getting there on your feet, without mules or horses is a "trophy" in of itself!

Even with horses, trying to walk down an embankment my dad & I slipped & fell down the side of the mountain separately & I damn near took a 4 inch stick to my left eye. We each fell about 30 ft. My dad got wedged between two wind falls, broke his walking stix & couldn't get up without help. Honestly pretty scarry & makes me really think about the type of shit that can happen that far back.

I didn't even see an elk, let alone hear one.

However, on the ride in we saw 2 muley does about 200-300 yds from the trucks in a clear cut in the first valley. Then 12 miles back in, I glassed up a doe & a fawn way up high above the tree line. Then on the way out, near the exact same spot we saw the two does on the way in, we spotted the two does & smaller buck about 100 yds pff the trail in the same clear cut.

So you may not need to go 12 miles back, esp when they were still in view of the trucks!

Legend

WKR
I have 20 years of bivy sack backcountry bob marshall mule deer hunting experience. It's always rewarding but I have never punched a tag. In fact I have only seen one deer that I considered shooting.

Now Gbear hunting would be very productive!

hoyt-guy

Lil-Rokslider
I'm heading back to the BOB this Sept for a black bear hunt. This will be my 4th trip to the Bob for this hunt. I've seen mule deer every trip. Mostly doe & fawn, but last trip saw a couple of smaller bucks. As much glassing as we do on this hunt, we've seen pretty low numbers of deer, but they are there. Definite big country!!

Deadfall

WKR
Run a single wire electric fence at knee height. Bears won't penetrate it. However, they will touch it with thier nose in middle of night sometimes. You'll spend a day cleaning caca out of bag if tgat happens.
There are mature deer to be had. Getting to those deer on a foot hunt....oh boy... hope you cam hanes shape because you gonna earn it!