Bob Marshall

Has anyone here been on a guided hunt in the Bob Marshall wilderness? Specifically with Montana Safaris? I dont have he time to properly research or scout an area because of work this year. From the research i gathered is numbers are low in alot of montana/idhao wilderness areas.

OP
S
Thats what I've read. I figure an outfitter should be able to atleast give me one opportunity over 6 days pending my abilities.

slowelk

WKR
A buddy of mine guided elk hunters in the bob last year for the month of September - about 50/50 archery and rifle hunters. The rifle hunters were about 80% successful, and the bow hunters less than 50%. He had 10 clients over the four weeks. The saw a lot of elk, one 300" bull killed, rest smaller. Wolves were a common occurrence, and they had one bear encounter that was relatively close. He worked for Montana Wilderness Lodge.

Wapiti1

WKR
Check out Sun Canyon Lodge, and 406 Wilderness. Both have been hunting the Bob a long time. I'm not familiar with Montana Safaris.

It's a neat place to hunt, and you can only do a similar hunt in Wyoming from a remoteness point of view. The elk herd isn't what it was, but there are elk there. You won't see as many as you will elsewhere. That is just a fact. Bears are less of an issue, IMO, as they are down by Yellowstone. Lower density and they see fewer humans. Wolves are a problem, and you should have a tag if you go.

I'd contact the three outfitters on this thread, get their reference lists, and call them all. See what you think after that. I've hiked all through the lower half of the Bob and Scapegoat and love that country. It's very wild, and beautiful.

Jeremy

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
Agree with the responders above. I lived in the Flathead for several years back in the 80’s and even hiking in the Bob, never saw elk or even sign. Did see Grizzly bear sign, plenty of deep ruts from pack trips on the trails. Also, the area is steep and fairly densely forested. You would need to really put the extreme sneak on something to be able to get a clear shot. For MT, if you can find public access, the Selway-Bitteroot might have better odds.

Agree with the responders above. I lived in the Flathead for several years back in the 80’s and even hiking in the Bob, never saw elk or even sign. Did see Grizzly bear sign, plenty of deep ruts from pack trips on the trails. Also, the area is steep and fairly densely forested. You would need to really put the extreme sneak on something to be able to get a clear shot. For MT, if you can find public access, the Selway-Bitteroot might have better odds.
You can get into the Selway from any of the west side canyons from Hamilton down to Darby as well as back the west fork of the Bitterroot. Gotta have the permit for the unit you hunt. You can also hunt it from the Idaho side out of Paradise.

OP
S
is the combination tag for non-res good for whole state? i usually have the outfitter apply so im not sure if its for a certain region.

MTElk1987

FNG
I have been hunting the east side of the Bob and Scapegoat for most of my life. The hunting has definitely declined in there over the past ten years or so but if you get after it and get a little luck along the way you can still find game. It can be feast or famine in there depending on weather and predators. In 2013 one of the outfitters on the east didn't kill an elk with his last three groups (that's 21 total hunters). I would give Sun Canyon or K Bar L a call. They both run top notch operations. I'm sure there are other good outfits, I just don't know them as well. Feel free to PM me.

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
Very feast or famine - usually famine. Sun Canyon Runs a top notch outfit, K Bar L used to, but is pretty half-assed with their new ownership as of a few years ago.

Mudslinger

Lil-Rokslider
We went with Montana Back Country Outfitters in 2016 and my buddy and I got our elk in the first three days. My buddy got a 5x5 and I got a 6x6 around (300"). We horse backed in around 35-40 miles.

I am hunting with Montana Safaris this Sept. with Elk/deer combo tags. The plan is to pack in roughly 20 miles on horses to tent camp. From there we ride out every day to find the animals. I am also planning to get a bear tag as they typically see a good number of bears that time of year.

I am going to look into the wolf tags as well. That would be a pretty cool bonus.

OP
S
I am hunting with Montana Safaris this Sept. with Elk/deer combo tags. The plan is to pack in roughly 20 miles on horses to tent camp. From there we ride out every day to find the animals. I am also planning to get a bear tag as they typically see a good number of bears that time of year.

I am going to look into the wolf tags as well. That would be a pretty cool bonus.
have you gone with them before? i was thinking about it this fall?

I have not, and this is my first western hunt (20+ years of whitetail hunting in Iowa). I will say that the owner, Colter Heckman, has been good to work with throughout the process. He has also been honest about what they saw last fall and what to expect this year.

2020- they were not able to access their normal tent camp location. Apparetnly there was a fire and the feds wouldn't let them use their traditional area. As a result, they had to hunt an area closer to the crowds. Whether it was COVID or other reasons, he said he'd never seen so many people in the woods in his life than last fall. That being said, his hunters had opportunities at elk, deer, and bears, and some connected and others didn't.

2021- he is planning to return to their traditional tent camp. After a one year respite, the area may be very good or bad, depending on weather and the animals.

Colter is not a high tech guy and doesn't regularly update his Facebook or Instagram pages. In addition, it may take him a few days to respond to emails. However, he DOES respond to his emails thoroughly and is happy to answer any question if your patient. If this is a problem for you, then you may be happier with another outfitter.

If you decide to book with him, he provides a thorough packing list to help prepare for the trip and takes care of all the required paperwork- applications, tags, draws, etc... He also has payment options including an installment plan.

My brother and I are very excited for the hunt, and I will return and post a follow up on it later this year.

You can get into the Selway from any of the west side canyons from Hamilton down to Darby as well as back the west fork of the Bitterroot. Gotta have the permit for the unit you hunt. You can also hunt it from the Idaho side out of Paradise.
Having spent a lot of time in Hamilton, Darby, and nearby areas last year for work, I wouldn't want to hike that area lol. Hope you're in really good shape Stratton.
I have seen quite a few elk in that area down by town though. They were bugling from the river near Hamilton in september right outside of town.

I've hunted the Bob twice, and both times we were in a number of elk but ultimately unsuccessful. They are tough to see with how thick it can be, but it is an awesome experience. We were archery hunting, but you can rifle hunt during the rut if desired, which some guys like.

I've hunted the Bob twice, and both times we were in a number of elk but ultimately unsuccessful. They are tough to see with how thick it can be, but it is an awesome experience. We were archery hunting, but you can rifle hunt during the rut if desired, which some guys like.
My brother and I are both archery hunters for whitetails here in Iowa, but we jumped at the opportunity to rifle hunt for bulls during the early season in the Bob. Our trip is 9/14-9/22.