Bobcat tips

Txrookie

Lil-Rokslider
Been tryin for awhile to get a cat in but haven’t had any luck. Any pointers? Continuous callin or breaks? Do you run the light the entire time or just sweep for short periods? I’ve called in a ton of grey and a dog or two but no cats so any info is good

Are you seeing cat sign? There has to be cats there to call them in. Bobcats like thicker cover, brushy draws, areas with large brush piles and such. I have called them both ways with continuous calling and with breaks. I use continuous if I specifically am trying for a bobcat, but I frequently change the sound volume and may also change the sound itself, just going from one sound to another. If I am calling coyotes I use breaks but have had bobcats come in then too. If you are hunting at night with lights you should keep scanning until you see eyes.

OP
T

Txrookie

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been seeing some sign not a whole lot. I’ll have to try the continuous callin and running the light the entire time next time I go out. Also How long do you run the call? I’ve been running mine for about 30 min a stand

- - - Updated - - -

And thank you for the tips, I appreciate it.

If they are close and will come to a call it will be fairly quickly. I've killed three of them and all three were quick calls. My .02$

OP
T

Txrookie

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t have a whole lot of land to call, since I’m in Texas and the majority is private. So I feel like the longer stands would atleast make me feel better about walking away after callin and no response. Also do you let foxes walk? I’ll usually put down a couple and then let them walk but is it necessary to in order to have a cat come in?

CORidgeRunner

Lil-Rokslider
I usually call for 45 minutes or so. I also like to change sounds from rabbit distress to a bird sound. Bobcats are really sneaky so look for the tips of their ears. They blend in remarkably well.

swede8200

FNG
As stated above, you have to be where the cats are. Pastures with creeks through them, rocky areas, and old farm/homesteads. I'm normally on stand for 20-30 minutes tops. I've had the most luck using bird and rodent sounds. I don't believe cats cover near the ground that coyotes do meaning they are more localized so suitable habitat means more. Again, just my experiences. Good luck and keep after it!

I have called in some every year. What most have said. Cats need to be in area. Also if you are calling at night cats seem to really give you lots of time for the shot. Not rush it and if you miss keep calling we have killed some on the 2nd and 3rd shots at night.

FLAK

WKR
I've tried myself quite few times with no luck.
In various habitats from flat farmland and swamp
to the Appalachians. Nada.
Best opportunities have always came when deer hunting.

McCrackin

FNG
Be patient, don't move any more than you have to. Cat's like to sit/watch, and know what they are getting into. Mark Zepp has some good info about them in his Yote huntin videos.
This little guy was sittin under a bush watching me when I was sittin waitin for another bear to show up. Kitty came home with me that night! :)

Attachments

• IMG_20190926_184851166.jpg
    IMG_20190926_184851166.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 53
If you do like Bradb says, "Just call them in close with turkey call!" you better be ready to defend your decoy. Here is one my wife filmed with her cell phone as the bobcat attacked her turkey hen decoy. It took the cat about 30 mins to stalk the decoy before he attacked it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Block

WKR
Almost every cat I’ve called has been within a 1/4 mile of water. They love to hunt little quail springs at night... completely opposite to what you will read or hear most people say.., almost every cat Iv called in has come in LESS than 10 min!!! I’ve actually NEVER called a cat in after the 15 min mark and have since limited stands to about 15 min when I’m hunting cats at night.

OP
T

Txrookie

Lil-Rokslider
Almost every cat I’ve called has been within a 1/4 mile of water. They love to hunt little quail springs at night... completely opposite to what you will read or hear most people say.., almost every cat Iv called in has come in LESS than 10 min!!! I’ve actually NEVER called a cat in after the 15 min mark and have since limited stands to about 15 min when I’m hunting cats at night.
My buddies and I finally laid down a cat, we were calling for about 5 minutes when she came charging into the call, my buddy shot and missed, he thought it was a fox but I had a better view. We moved a little less than 1/4 mile and tried again, can’t be positive but I’m pretty sure my brother laid down the same cat that came in. She wouldn’t commit, just worked her way around long enough for him to get a shot off.

Wrench

WKR
They like water....and be as patient as possible, they often come in pairs.