Body fat %

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm 53, 6'6" 215 right now.......pretty lean, have no idea on body fat %. Should be around 220ish by September, but I just started lifting again because of a shoulder that has been giving me fits since October. I'll lose 20 pounds every September elk hunting, and I don't think I sacrifice any strength or endurance. By the end of the season I feel great, better than at the start........except for my knees.

Bigjay73

Lil-Rokslider
Hm maybe the calipers/skin fold are not as accurate? I had it done in college and was 6.5%, I was a lean machine surfing twice a day though. I guess the main thing is knowing if you are above or below your goal/ideal percentage. I don’t really want to pay to have it done professionally but definitely like to keep tabs on myself.
They are not accurate at all. Coachs way, or a bod pod are good ways to check body fat. Bod pod is my way, but can be hard to find in rural area, and cost $75-$100

njdoxie

WKR
What would you be nervous about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I realize this would be under a doctors care.....but my concerns would be voice deepening, growing hair on my back, cycling on and off for the rest of my life, heart issues, and just a general uneasiness about playing with something so powerful.
A doctor asked me if I wanted to consider it years ago and I said no way.

Poser

WKR
As I understand, once you start supplementing testosterone, you have to continue to do so for the rest of your life as your body stops producing it entirely. Personally, I feel that I’d have to be pretty well below average to go that route.

Most of the people that think they have 10%-15% body fat actually, most likely, have 20%-25%.
As I understand, once you start supplementing testosterone, you have to continue to do so for the rest of your life as your body stops producing it entirely. Personally, I feel that I’d have to be pretty well below average to go that route.
You have to stay on it the rest of your life to keep your testosterone up and to feel like you do with elevated testosterone, but after the initial swing low, with the help of some drugs like clomid, it should swing back to your normal, lower, pre-HRT levels.

*zap*

WKR
I was machine tested (not caliper) 14 months ago at 219# and had 23% bf. I am as strong now as I was then and stronger in some things at 189#. That is a 30# body weight reduction. The way I calculate it is around a 12% fat reduction....but that is an estimate....maybe I really only lost a few %'s of fat and lots of muscle but maintained my strength? I stay well hydrated all year and have done that for many years.

But the reality is that if you can (really anyone can) shed lots of pounds of pretty much useless fat thru good nutrition and exercise you will be a lot better off.....especially if you do it thru a sustainable nutrition/exercise plan and just keep living according to that sustainable plan.

If you have a flat belly below the belly button and no globs of fat on your hips/lower back your most likely not wrong thinking your in the very low teens for a %. Hydration levels will also effect how much fat it 'looks' like you have and may additionally effect various tests for body fat %. Exact % is really semantics what matters most is having minimal amounts of sub q and visceral fats while maintaining proper nutrition and fitness. I sure do not need 10+ # of fat to carry around all day 24/7/365 just in case I may need it.

I am no expert but that's my opinion.

Bigjay73

Lil-Rokslider
I was machine tested (not caliper) 14 months ago at 219# and had 23% bf. I am as strong now as I was then and stronger in some things at 189#. That is a 30# body weight reduction. The way I calculate it is around a 12% fat reduction....but that is an estimate....maybe I really only lost a few %'s of fat and lots of muscle but maintained my strength? I stay well hydrated all year and have done that for many years.

But the reality is that if you can (really anyone can) shed lots of pounds of pretty much useless fat thru good nutrition and exercise you will be a lot better off.....especially if you do it thru a sustainable nutrition/exercise plan and just keep living according to that sustainable plan.

If you have a flat belly below the belly button and no globs of fat on your hips/lower back your most likely not wrong thinking your in the very low teens for a %. Hydration levels will also effect how much fat it 'looks' like you have and may additionally effect various tests for body fat %. Exact % is really semantics what matters most is having minimal amounts of sub q and visceral fats while maintaining proper nutrition and fitness. I sure do not need 10+ # of fat to carry around all day 24/7/365 just in case I may need it.

I am no expert but that's my opinion.
Understandable, but the OP was asking about hunting bf%. If you hunt elk hard for 7-10days, you can easily burn through 5+ lbs of fat, especially if back pack hunting on limited calories. Congrats on your weight loss, 11%bf is extremely tough at a young age, much less for us on the other side of the hump. I prefer to stay 15-17%, but I'm at 211 lbs lbm my last bod pod, so it's not much to carry the extra 7-10 lbs of bf for me, plus I look good, have a hot girlfriend, and get to eat tacos and pizza from time to time, what else do I need? 🤣🤣🤣

Bigjay73

Lil-Rokslider
Supplementing test is what people with normal test do to gain extra muscle, test is a steroid. It may or may not ruin your normal test levels depending on the person or how much they abuse test. What I'm talking about is men who's natural test levels have naturally dropped due to age. At that point, yes you will probably be on test the rest of your life like I am. Like stated, some people can use Clomid to raise test levels that age have reduced, but typically its weekly, or biweekly injections for life. I hate the injections, but hate having low test levels even more.

Bigjay73

Lil-Rokslider
I realize this would be under a doctors care.....but my concerns would be voice deepening, growing hair on my back, cycling on and off for the rest of my life, heart issues, and just a general uneasiness about playing with something so powerful.
A doctor asked me if I wanted to consider it years ago and I said no way.

If you need it you need it. The issues you stated come with abusing test, and elevating your levels to above normal. Test is not some powerful drug, it's a naturally occurring hormone. Trust me, if you need it, you need it. I'd rather have energy and a sex drive than worry about a little back hair, but we all have our own priorities.

jp0212

FNG

That isn't entirely correct. When you start HRT your body will stop producing Testosterone while you are supplementing it, however once you go off the supplement your body will begin producing it again. If you quit cold turkey, it will take a few weeks for your body to respond by starting production again. If you do it through a doctor they can give you additional medications that kickstart your production again. You do not have to stay on it forever, but your body will go back to producing the same amount you did before going on the treatment. It is extremely rare for a person's body to not start producing again.

Bigjay73

Lil-Rokslider
You wouldn't be on HRT if your body was producing enough test. You're more describing someone using test as a steroid for performance enhancement.

WKR
So, what is considered low? Normal range is 264-916 ng/dL.

So, to be "low" you'd be under 264 ng/dL, right?

I highly doubt that's how it's working in practice.

Trr15

WKR
So, what is considered low? Normal range is 264-916 ng/dL.

So, to be "low" you'd be under 264 ng/dL, right?

I highly doubt that's how it's working in practice.

The threshold for a low-t diagnosis is 300.

jp0212

FNG
You wouldn't be on HRT if your body was producing enough test. You're more describing someone using test as a steroid for performance enhancement.

Not true actually. There is a certain level, depending on your age, where your testosterone levels are considered normal. Having a testosterone level of 300 ng/dl at 25 years old would be considered extremely low. That is more along the lines of what would be expected of a man way up there in age (80ish). If you are treated with HRT you will find they draw your blood, and have to do so every quarter, to verify you are not overly exceeding testosterone amounts. Essentially they are verifying that your testosterone levels are only being brought up to what is considered "normal" for your age. If you far exceed the "normal" values your insurance will cease to cover the treatment. Obviously there are probably shady examples out there, but above is what is typical at 90% of doctor's offices.

Trr15

WKR
Not true actually. There is a certain level, depending on your age, where your testosterone levels are considered normal. Having a testosterone level of 300 ng/dl at 25 years old would be considered extremely low. That is more along the lines of what would be expected of a man way up there in age (80ish). If you are treated with HRT you will find they draw your blood, and have to do so every quarter, to verify you are not overly exceeding testosterone amounts. Essentially they are verifying that your testosterone levels are only being brought up to what is considered "normal" for your age. If you far exceed the "normal" values your insurance will cease to cover the treatment. Obviously there are probably shady examples out there, but above is what is typical at 90% of doctor's offices.

Actually, it is true. Yes, T levels vary based on age. The threshold for a low-t diagnosis in an adult male is still 300. Are there exceptions to this, most likely, but that is the generally accepted cutoff.

WKR
The threshold for a low-t diagnosis is 300.

Ok, so is the therapeutic goal 301 ng/dL? How far are they trying to raise that #?

If a man is at 301, is he denied TRT? Is there a Max #?

Curious. Easily abused, "normal" has a really big range, 3x... Highly profitable lifestyle "medicine"... Ripe for abuse.

Trr15

WKR
Ok, so is the therapeutic goal 301 ng/dL? How far are they trying to raise that #?

If a man is at 301, is he denied TRT? Is there a Max #?

Curious. Easily abused, "normal" has a really big range, 3x... Highly profitable lifestyle "medicine"... Ripe for abuse.

I'm no expert on the topic, but I don't think the levels are able to be managed with a high degree of precision. The measurement is a snapshot in time, so if the test result is 301, I would imagine some docs would make a case to treat as hypogonadism, understanding that the levels fluctuate. Some might not. My understanding is that the target range is often between 400-600 and that the dose depends largely on the symptoms and response. The treating doc monitors blood pressure, swelling (legs and ankles), acne, hair loss, etc. I agree that there is a lot of opportunity for abuse, but the stuff is truly life changing for guys who actually need it.

Bigjay73

Lil-Rokslider
I am treated for low t. I wouldn't be if my body could magically start producing normal levels of test on it's own. That was the point I was trying to make. You dont go off of HRT once you're on it, you dont go on it unless you need it.

njdoxie

WKR
I am treated for low t. I wouldn't be if my body could magically start producing normal levels of test on it's own. That was the point I was trying to make. You dont go off of HRT once you're on it, you dont go on it unless you need it.

Any side effects?