Body of Sheep Hunter Found in Wrangell Mtns

That's too bad. The guy sounds like he was probably a really experienced wilderness hunter which just goes to show it can happen to anyone out there.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Man those creek flows near sheep country are dangerous with just a little rain. The "I can do this" mentality just deserves more "no this is not safe enough". Especially when solo. Makes my heart hurt every time i read about these incidents.

VernAK

WKR
I don't know the situation of this particular unfortunate hunter but crossing moving water should be done with great caution.

Get that damned pack belt unfastened and put get one shoulder strap partially or completely off.

I hate these plastic belt buckles that require squeezing both sides with gloves or cold hands. Kelty had a great aluminum buckle years ago and I pick up old kelty packs at garage sales, just for the buckle.

Trial153

WKR
Sad for sure. I remember I was guiding during steelhead season. I watched a fisherman upstream of me try crossing on day that no one had business even thinking of crossing that river. I was pulling up the drift boat anchor while yelling to him not cross, either he didn’t hear me or ignored me because by the time I got on the oars he was floating. Luckily my buddy was with me that day and not just my sport because there was no way we would have grabbed him before he ended up in some serious water. My buddy was able to hold on to him while beached boat after the run.

Moving water will kill you as fast as anything. This is a sad ending to be sure.