Boiling skulls?

Ridley

Lil-Rokslider
I found a small skull (bobcat) and it’s pretty darn clean but still has a small amount of fur on the chin and tiny amounts of flesh here and there. It also has a little funk to the smell. My question is how long should I boil it for? I remember my dad boiling a pronghorn skull for 24 hours but that was starting with a fresh kill. Thanks in advance for your input.

OP
R

Ridley

Lil-Rokslider
Doint boil, simmer. Shouldn't take long. Add some dawn dishsoap or oxiclean and simmer for 30 mins- 1 hour then check.
I’ll give that a try thanks.

Next question, bleach...Spray it, dip it, or soak?

FI460

FNG
Next question, bleach...Spray it, dip it, or soak?
Use peroxide to bleach it. I've only ever used the kits that come with the powder. I've heard you can dip it if it's 50-50 water and 40 volume peroxide. Some people also make a sort of paper mache with paper towels and 40 vol peroxide.

Do you listen to the podcast "Cutting the Distance" from Remi Warren and MeatEater. Look it up. He just did a podcast about cleaning skulls that was great and I'd recommend.

Fitzwho

WKR
I use 40 volume peroxide and Quick White powder mixed into a paste and painted on.

If you can pick up a half quart or two of 40 volume peroxide do it. After you get the skull clean, you might try just bringing a 50/50 mix of peroxide and water to a boil with the head in it, and then turning off the heat. Let everything cool back down to a safe handling temp and pull it back out and let dry. Should be pretty white by then.

OP
R

Ridley

Lil-Rokslider
Use peroxide to bleach it. I've only ever used the kits that come with the powder. I've heard you can dip it if it's 50-50 water and 40 volume peroxide. Some people also make a sort of paper mache with paper towels and 40 vol peroxide.
Did not know that, thank you good sir. But if I dip it 10 seconds, 2 minutes, how long should it be in the solution?

I use 40 volume peroxide and Quick White powder mixed into a paste and painted on.

If you can pick up a half quart or two of 40 volume peroxide do it. After you get the skull clean, you might try just bringing a 50/50 mix of peroxide and water to a boil with the head in it, and then turning off the heat. Let everything cool back down to a safe handling temp and pull it back out and let dry. Should be pretty white by then.
I’ve got peroxide I’ll give that a whirl

Do you listen to the podcast "Cutting the Distance" from Remi Warren and MeatEater. Look it up. He just did a podcast about cleaning skulls that was great and I'd recommend.
I have not listened to it yet, but I will. Thank you.

OP
R

Ridley

Lil-Rokslider
Be sure to share some pic of how it turns out 😁
I will for sure. Now, I need a monster sized pot for the moose skull I found this past elk season. However I should just probably put it in a hole in our garden and let the bugs do their thing.

Rainyday

FNG
The only euro mount I’ve ever did was boiled in a water and peroxide mixture for an hour or so, then hit it with the pressure washer. It turned out nice

FI460

FNG
Did not know that, thank you good sir. But if I dip it 10 seconds, 2 minutes, how long should it be in the solution?

I think I recall dipping it in hot peroxide/water for 30 mins- 1 hour as well.

OP
R

Ridley

Lil-Rokslider
Again thank you all for your help. The skull is from a young bobcat found at one of my projects (I’m a senior wildlife biologist/project manager) by one of our junior biologists. He’s a herp dude and didn’t want it so I happily took it.

Boil/simmer it a couple hours, add baking soda to the water. Should rinse off pretty good, if not put it back in the pot. A pressure washer is a little tough to use on that small of a skull. Once clean put it in peroxide over night, the stuff you get at the store for first aide will work. If any teeth fall out just glue them back in.

OP
R

Ridley

Lil-Rokslider
The only euro mount I’ve ever did was boiled in a water and peroxide mixture for an hour or so, then hit it with the pressure washer. It turned out nice
Pressure washer would be way too much for this skull.

Bear_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
After you simmer (not boil) as others have suggested, be prepared for most of the incisors and maybe K9's to fall out. The lower jaw may also separate in half. Afterward, I use Volume 40 peroxide, and will sometimes dilute it to 50/50 if I don't have enough peroxide to cover it. I collect the teeth and put them in a small separate tupperware container to peroxide. I usually soak the skull in the peroxide solution for 3-5 days. Keep in mind, volume 40 is about 12.5% peroxide, so a 50/50 is about 6%. The more you dilute it, the longer it takes. Afterward, rinse it good and set it outside in the sun to dry, it'll whiten right up. Also use gloves and wear safety glasses when handling the volume 40. You don't want it on your skin or in your eyes. I use superglue to put the lower jaw back together, and elemers glue to put the teeth back in.

Maverick1

WKR
Been reading online about people doing their skulls with a sous vide. Haven’t tried it myself though.

Termite

FNG
I've put several hog skulls in a bed of ants. I did lose one skull to coyotes. Maybe I should have wired it to a cinder block or something. I just keep them around and don't have any intentions of mounting them so I don't mind if they stay natural colored.

2-Stix

WKR
I just finished a buck last week.

Simmer 45 mins with dawn and oxiclean.
Take out and scrap.
Repeat 30 mins.
Take out and scrap.
Repeat 15 mins.
Final scrape.
Let it dry.
Glue the teeth in.
Tape off the horns.
Paint it with Salon Care 40 Volume Creme from the beauty supply and wrap it with saran wrap.
24 hours later wash it and repeat.
Let it dry and you're done.