Bolt close issue - Tikka t3x

First time shooting a brand new Tikka t3x in 7mm-08 today. I had the barrel cut to 18”, a TBAC CB brake installed, and the barreled action cerakoted in OD green

I shot a full box of Hornady American Whitetail 139 grain ammo and noticed the bolt closed a little harder than I’m used to. After that I tried a box of Nosler 140 grain BT, the bolt required more force to close than I was willing to apply. This box of ammo are blems direct from Nosler. I have used their blems before in other calibers/cartridges and they’ve all been fine. After that, I shot a box of Norma Whitetail 150 gr (which shot lights out BTW) and the bolt closed super easy.

I thought it must be a length issue as the Nosler BT was slightly longer than the Norma. But I got home and checked other ammo:
Norma - closed easy
Hornady - requires a little force
Nosler 140 BT - no close
Nosler 140 AB - no close
Hornady ELD-X - closes, requires slightly more force than the Norma, and is the longest of the bunch

So the ELD-x is longest and close fine, and the BT and AB are about The same length as the American Whitetail. Thoughts?

Edit: to be clear, when I say the bolt doesn't close, I mean it slides all the way forward but won't close down to locked position.

1A281078-E2EA-49AE-9EDF-27AB0EFF48B7.jpeg

410131AD-E73C-4572-86B4-95F9BD3EC2A3.jpeg

Last edited:

ID_Matt

WKR
The base to tip length isn't what is likely to change the bolt closing tight... if it was the throat being short it would be the ogive ( where it would touch the lands) but I am betting it is a head space problem. On the rounds that were tight to close, look for marks either on the bullet or on the case itself. That should tell you where its tight.

Dogman-K

FNG
Interesting, I had a new box of Federal Fusions that would not chamber in my 308 Roughtech or my son’s Veil. Federal sent me a new box and they just "slip in" without any effort. It took awhile but Federal made it right. It seems that I am hearing more and more about these type of issues with all manufacturers.

• Banned
OP
zion zig zag
The base to tip length isn't what is likely to change the bolt closing tight... if it was the throat being short it would be the ogive ( where it would touch the lands) but I am betting it is a head space problem. On the rounds that were tight to close, look for marks either on the bullet or on the case itself. That should tell you where its tight.
I tried to look for some marks at the range, but probably needed better light. I'll try again, maybe with a magnifying glass.

Edit: to be clear, when I say the bolt doesn't close, I mean it slides all the way forward but won't close down to locked position.

SDHNTR

WKR
Overall length means nothing. Those rounds are too long for your chamber’s headspace and/or throat. You need to check brass length at the datum line on the shoulder first. You’ll need a caliper and a comparator. Then you need to check the cartridge length from the base to the bullet ogive. One or the other, or both, measurements are too long for your gun’s chamber.

No offense, but you seem new at this so you might not know what I’m referring to. Consult a gunsmith, or someone local to you who does know.

Cramming a cartridge into a chamber that doesn’t fit and shooting, especially suppressed, could be very dangerous!

Ram94

WKR
I had a few boxes of Precision Hunter that wouldn't chamber in a Tikka 7-08 as well. They were all from the same lot#. Store exchanged them for newer lot# and all have chambered just fine since.

• Banned
OP
zion zig zag
Interesting, I had a new box of Federal Fusions that would not chamber in my 308 Roughtech or my son’s Veil. Federal sent me a new box and they just "slip in" without any effort. It took awhile but Federal made it right. It seems that I am hearing more and more about these type of issues with all manufacturers.
I did reach out to Nosler to see what they would say. I have 5 boxes of the AB's and 5 of the BT's so hopefully they'll switch it out.

• Banned
OP
zion zig zag
Overall length means nothing. Those rounds are too long for your chamber’s headspace and/or throat. You need to check brass length at the datum line on the shoulder first. You’ll need a caliper and a comparator. Then you need to check the cartridge length from the base to the bullet ogive. One or the other, or both, measurements are too long for your gun’s chamber.

No offense, but you seem new at this so you might not know what I’m referring to. Consult a gunsmith, or someone local to you who does know.

Cramming a cartridge into a chamber that doesn’t fit and shooting, especially suppressed, could be very dangerous!
No offense taken at all, here to learn!

Google showed me the datum line, but I don't have calipers. I'll reach out to a local smith after I hear back from Nosler.

ID_Matt

WKR
I tried to look for some marks at the range, but probably needed better light. I'll try again, maybe with a magnifying glass.

Just for fun you could color the case and bullet with a sharpie and see where it is touching. Either way, it needs to go to a gunsmith.

SDHNTR

WKR
Just for fun you could color the case and bullet with a sharpie and see where it is touching. Either way, it needs to go to a gunsmith.
Yes, a sharpie colored around the bottom half of the exposed bullet and around the shoulder of the brass case will tell you where its hitting. Then you'll know what measurement you need to most look out for. A gunsmith might be the path of least resistance, but I wouldn't say that what he NEEDS to do.

What I would do is find ammo that easily chambers, measure headspace and CBTO length of those rounds, and then find more ammo with those dimensions.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Color the case and bullet with a black sharpie. Point in safe direction and chamber a round. See where it’s making contact. I would guess it’s either the shoulder is “too long” or you’re jamming the bullets into the lands.