Bone-in quarters...

Maybe I'm not man enough for this trip. Looks like bone-in requirement will be in full force for areas I'm currently zeroing in on.

I've never tried to pack a 125# (or more) quarter out over who-knows-what terrain. Are most folks perfectly capable of this? There will be two us on this hunt. Do folks ever hang quarter off a log or something and share the load walking in-line with support across a shoulder? Obviously this presents other challenges, but it was just a thought I had.

Another question: I've seen quite a few transporters with super cubs who require meat be de-boned prior to pick-up. The way I read regs, the bone needs to stay in until processing. How does one satisfy both of those requirements? Do the transport folks with the bone-OUT requirement not fly into bone-IN units?

First question of greater importance. Second one just curiosity.

PH80

AKBorn

WKR
I've been fortunate to harvest moose in the units where deboning is legal. I am 58 now, I'm hopeful that I never need to find out if I can handle a bone-in moose quarter.

The knees and ankles take a lot of the stress - really recommend that you bring trekking poles and use them, they take a ton of stress off your knees and help a lot with balance. Also, when i want to take a break when packing game, i typically lean over and rest my torso on the handles of my trekking poles, takes a little weight off the back for a few seconds anyway.

Are you in decent shape? Hiking and doing squats, or cycling, would be good exercises to prep your legs for a moose hunt...

OP
P
I've been fortunate to harvest moose in the units where deboning is legal. I am 58 now, I'm hopeful that I never need to find out if I can handle a bone-in moose quarter.

The knees and ankles take a lot of the stress - really recommend that you bring trekking poles and use them, they take a ton of stress off your knees and help a lot with balance. Also, when i want to take a break when packing game, i typically lean over and rest my torso on the handles of my trekking poles, takes a little weight off the back for a few seconds anyway.

Are you in decent shape? Hiking and doing squats, or cycling, would be good exercises to prep your legs for a moose hunt...

Decent shape. 6'1, and 215#. Long torso and arms. Could use some upper body strength and fat loss in mid section. In terms of getting things done, I'm typically a bigger help in a given project than your gym rats. If that makes sense. Spend a lot of time doing lots of different things and from a physical standpoint, pretty damn versatile.

Have read the attributes of trek poles.

As far as conditioning goes, I plan on doing lots to walking with pack and increasing weight and distances. A few of hills, as well as access to a stretch of water about a mile. Not exactly Alaska but but bad for NW FL.

So it's expected for one dude to carry out a quarter bone in, in general? Guess I've never put an actual scale to an item on back. 125+ is pretty damn intimidating.

AKDoc

WKR
Humping moose quarters, bone-in, is something that I do every fall up here...for many years. It is a chore for sure. The hind quarters are extremely heavy. The front quarters are less heavy, but they are longer and set higher in your pack, so they tend to sway left to right as you pack them out and require extra securing.

All total you will have seven to eight bags of meat to hump out...four quarters, and then three or four bags for heart and liver, back straps and tenderloin, and a ton of neck and rib meat. Your azz will be kicked (in a good way) when you finish the day and have that wonderful meat hanging and dry.

My hunting partner is a great guy, who experiences a disability, so I hump it all. It makes you really pause and think about do I shoot or not shoot. I try to call moose as close to camp as I can possibly get...and drop it on dry ground! I've passed on a few monsters because I knew getting them out would be damaging to the meat over time and conditions. Be smart sir!

I'm assuming that you are talking about an Alaska moose hunt. If so, and the regs for that unit say to remove from the field bone-in, then that is definitely what you do...regardless of what anyone else says.

Hiking sticks are a definite got to have!

BTW, I'm a former Marine. I work out at the gym three days a week lifting weights. I'm 5'10", 185lbs...and I'm 66.

OP
P
Thanks for feedback. Apparently Phase 2 of Larry Bartlett's DVD Project Bloodtrail covers this very topic and detail. Will be getting that on order.

Still summing up physical feasibility of this deal. Have passed financial hurdle for what we're looking for. Need to get past this and then on to lining up transporter.

OP
P
I cut my moose hind quarters in half. Much easier to manage.

So that satisfies bone-in requirement. A bit more prone to spoilage all that newly exposed meat one would assume. Flip side is... Also dumps initial heat quicker, which is good.

You just citric spray them and then place lower half of quarter in bag bigger cut side down?

Last edited:

cnelk

WKR
I killed my bull on a Friday evening. Field dressed / skinned that night and went back in the next morning to pack meat
1/4mi - 2 guys - 7hrs - 525lbs meat

We flew out the next day. Put meat in game bags the next morning before the plane arrived

OP
P
2 of us once tried the pole on our shoulders with a couple legs on it - skip that idea.

Hahaha. 10-4.

I'm also thinking maybe a sled of some sort. I Pulled a 115 pound Whitetail (guts in per regs) about a mile out of some public land last year solo pretty easily. Half was ground like what's pictured, half was nasty head high thicket. Not something I could fly with though. Maybe try pick up something like it in Fairbanks????

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190419-060646.png
    Screenshot_20190419-060646.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
Hahaha. 10-4.

I'm also thinking maybe a sled of some sort. I Pulled a 115 pound Whitetail (guts in per regs) about a mile out of some public land last year solo pretty easily. Half was ground like what's pictured, half was nasty head high thicket. Not something I could fly with though. Maybe try pick up something like it in Fairbanks????

If you try the sled, let us know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
Want to pretend packing a moose out the woods?

Load your pack up with a 80lb sack of concrete, then strap on a 3/4" - 4'x8' piece of plywood to your pack, find a nearby stream and start walking across it a few times, while its raining. Maybe find some willows to walk thru :)

OP
P
Want to pretend packing a moose out the woods?

Load your pack up with a 80lb sack of concrete, then strap on a 3/4" - 4'x8' piece of plywood to your pack, find a nearby stream and start walking across it a few times, while its raining. Maybe find some willows to walk thru :)

Pretty much my plan. Hope to be moving in early June across town. Has some hills and about a one mile stretch of water with pretty loose sand and muck. Not AK muck, but better than nothing.

Jon Boy

WKR
Sorry to thread Jack but this question has plagued me for quite some time. Why do you have to leave bone in in some units, but not others? I originally thought it had to do with people not taking all of the meat and that would be easier to prove with a bone in quarter. But some units you're allowed to go boneless? Why is that?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
P
Sorry to thread Jack but this question has plagued me for quite some time. Why do you have to leave bone in in some units, but not others? I originally thought it had to do with people not taking all of the meat and that would be easier to prove with a bone in quarter. But some units you're allowed to go boneless? Why is that?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'd like clarification on transporters who say meat must be off bone prior to pick up. Do they not fly into bone-in units?

Maybe I'm not man enough for this trip. Looks like bone-in requirement will be in full force for areas I'm currently zeroing in on.

I've never tried to pack a 125# (or more) quarter out over who-knows-what terrain. Are most folks perfectly capable of this? There will be two us on this hunt. Do folks ever hang quarter off a log or something and share the load walking in-line with support across a shoulder? Obviously this presents other challenges, but it was just a thought I had.

Another question: I've seen quite a few transporters with super cubs who require meat be de-boned prior to pick-up. The way I read regs, the bone needs to stay in until processing. How does one satisfy both of those requirements? Do the transport folks with the bone-OUT requirement not fly into bone-IN units?

First question of greater importance. Second one just curiosity.

PH80

I wouldn’t spend too much time worrying about whether or not you’ll be capable of packing moose quarters out. The key is not shooting it too far away from your pickup location, or your motorized means of transportation. If you are in decent shape/health and don’t have any nagging back or knee injuries/issues, you should be fine. The last moose we (my family), packed out was only about a quarter mile or so pack through fairly easy terrain, but even my 105 lb. wife was able to carry a quarter. Albeit, it was the lighter front quarter and 13 y/o son packed a rear quarter.
2f6d9f612757bc49c60f82203d207e99.jpg

I have also used the technique of strapping quarters to a pole and a person on each end with the pole over their shoulder, when we didn’t have packs available.

OP
P
I wouldn’t spend too much time worrying about whether or not you’ll be capable of packing moose quarters out. The key is not shooting it too far away from your pickup location, or your motorized means of transportation. If you are in decent shape/health and don’t have any nagging back or knee injuries/issues, you should be fine. The last moose we (my family), packed out was only about a quarter mile or so pack through fairly easy terrain, but even my 105 lb. wife was able to carry a quarter. Albeit, it was the lighter front quarter and 13 y/o son packed a rear quarter.
2f6d9f612757bc49c60f82203d207e99.jpg

I have also used the technique of strapping quarters to a pole and a person on each end with the pole over their shoulder, when we didn’t have packs available.

Awesome. What size moose was that? What you think RQ weighed?

I'm just trying to think through some of the most basic things at this stage. 125 pounds sounds like a TON to carry over, under and through stuff. Guess I'll know a lot more once I start hiking around here with bag o' concrete. ;-)

Labdad

FNG
The comment above on not can you shoot him but if you should shoot him is spot on.

In water/pass

Know YOUR limits!!!!
8-10 loads
2 miles from camp= 40 miles
20 miles loaded
1 mile from camp=20 miles
10 miles loaded

Awesome. What size moose was that? What you think RQ weighed?

I'm just trying to think through some of the most basic things at this stage. 125 pounds sounds like a TON to carry over, under and through stuff. Guess I'll know a lot more once I start hiking around here with bag o' concrete. ;-)

It was just a cow, but she was pretty decent size. I weighed the quarters at home, and if I remember correctly, the rear were just under 100 lbs and fronts a little over 80.
24311f3f7a9b4b9cc14bb14e435f6eda.jpg