Bone saw for Alaska

bobhunts

WKR
I'll be going in 2013 so I'm wondering what others have used that are light weight but strong. In Alaska you have to take the ribs out on the bone and I know the cheap folding ones I have used on elk in the past while elk hunting will not suffice. Moose are much bigger animals and I don't wan't to waste an ounce of meat and be in trouble. I've looked at the Gerber ones but they seem heavy. With the weight restrictions on a fly in trip we can split our gear that all of us use and save weight but durability matters. Other than that maybe a hatchet? I don't see any weight savings but a dual purpose tool. Any help would be appreciated.Bob.

swat8888

WKR
Hey bob, I don't know of any requirement to take the ribs out on the bone. You just have to take the rib meat....no need for a saw on the ribs unless you just prefer to cook them up n the bone. And you are correct they are sticklers, they have always asked me to produce rib meat. once they see that they won't harass you much more....at least that was my experience. back straps probably a close second on what the troopers will want to see.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bob you are correct some units require ribs on the bone still. Luke and I have used wyoming saws and the little gerber pack saws both work. Hope that helps.

broncoformudv

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Gerber folding saw and have used a Wyoming saw as well, both are great saws. I seriously do not think there is a quality saw that weighs less than either of them but if there is someone please let me know.

If you take your time you can separate the ribs from the spine with a knife, this might be the direction you should go if you are truly trying to go lightweight.

What is your weight limit for your flight?

OP
B

bobhunts

WKR
Thanks for the replies! I have looked at the Wyoming saws also but not the first one mentioned. Anyone else that has used the Sawvivor please let me know your opinion. Bob.

OP
B

bobhunts

WKR
Thanks for the input.I think the wyoming saw is the one I'll get. I can't find a local retailer to look at the sawvivor! Weight limit is very liberal at 100 lbs per person. Not that I will exceed that but I want to shave weight every where I can. I didn't know that in other areas you do not have to bring out the ribs with the bone attached but it is where we are going.I'm sure it will be a hunt of a lifetime being on our own with nothing but gods creation and opportunities to see and possibly shoot a moose.

I carry a Gerber saw and pruner combo in my pack everytime I go out. The saw has the option of buying a bone saw blade so I have one blade for wood and another for bone in the kit.

OP
B

bobhunts

WKR
I just bought the Outdoor Edge Game processor kit from Gander Mtn and they are on sale at GM for around I think I paid $55 and free shipping. Really nice kit but IMO not a really good saw just another one of the ones like I already have. The metal of the blade does not go al the way through the handle and that is what I was hoping to get. I bought the kit just to try and get a decent saw that is light weight. I guess I'll get the Wyoming saw? Really was hoping the company that advertises all of the time would have produced a saw that had the blade go all the way through the handle. NOPE!

dimrod

FNG
I've used the same Wyoming saw for 26 years and have helped field dress about 100 bull moose with it including antler removal. The rear blade retention pin came loose years ago but I welded it back on. Take a wood blade as well as a bone blade in case you need to cut down willows for access to clean your bull or take photos.

billy molls

Super Moderator
Hey Bob good luck in AK. What is do is buy a small "carpenter's" saw from the hardware store. I just bought one the other day for $10. It will last me a couple seasons. If you find one with a plastic handle, it is as light as anything, and it will be plenty strong for ribs, and cutting the skull.

All units in Alaska require you salvage the rib meat and all edible meat. Only a couple require rib cage/bone attached to the rib meat. And they will check to make sure you have it. I have used a wyoming saw on moose ribs. The problem with sawing off moose ribs it the saw tends to get bound up and can be a pain with cutting them free from the spine. It is do able though. An Alaska old timer showed me an axe or hatchet work much better at removing the rib cage. It is much quicker and easier. I really like the sven -saw. They sell them at REI. They pack down small they are super light and very durable and strong. They make them with a 15'' or 21'' blade. I always carried one while out trapping or where i didn't have a chaing saw. Never had an issue or problem with them. They are much lighter than a wyonming saw. I have never used it on game though but i imagine it would work just as good. http://www.svensaw.com/features.htm

jmez

WKR
Couple options. I used a Knives of Alaska Brown Bear suregrip cleaver. Whacks right through the ribs, is a great skinning knife and works well for cutting up meat. You can also take the skull plate off with it.

If you want light go talk to your veterinarian and ask him for a roll of gigli wire and handles. This will zip through ribs in short order. Will work on the skull as well but take some effort and you will break a few sections of wire.

2rocky

WKR
If you want light go talk to your veterinarian and ask him for a roll of gigli wire and handles. This will zip through ribs in short order. Will work on the skull as well but take some effort and you will break a few sections of wire.

Is this what you are talking about?

ob_saw_wire.jpg

Handles
16054.jpg

Wire is rather brittle...but does work if you don't pinch or Jerk it....

As for the Wyoming saw, Get the "II" with 18 inch blades. The short blade original version is hell on your knuckles if cutting antlers off....