Bonehead Move of the Day

Ratbeetle

WKR
It's funny now, but yesterday not so much.

I arrowed a mule deer doe for the freezer yesterday evening. By the time I was ready to get her boned out, it was about an hour till dark and I was still 6.5 miles from the trail head. I was carrying camp on my back but decided I wanted to try and get home instead of sleeping on mountain.

So I'm busy cutting her up thinking about the two 12k ft peaks and nasty side-hilling to come and I drop my knife in the dirt. I pick it up and set it down on her rib cage while I grab something to wipe it down. In my hurry to get finished, I grab the knife to clean it...can you see where this is going...and carelessly drag it point down across the ribs.

I keep my knife very sharp and the point the grazed the skin passed her last rib. Let's just say there was a violent decompression of the stomach....and since I happened to be leaning over her to pick up my knife, that decompression happened right in my face. It took me a few seconds to comprehend what I had just done. Stomach "juice" and blood all over my face, chest and forearms. The volume of spray from a 1" cut was actually pretty impressive. Thankfully,I had a few wipes left. I cleaned up the best I could, changed gloves as to not taint my meat and soldiered on.

I packed out with the smell of deer guts to accompany me the whole way and made it back to the car about 11.

After two showers and practically scrubbing my face off, I still feel like I get the occasional gut smell. The meat smelled and looked great though. She's all wrapped up in the freezer now.

So have a laugh on me tonight. And just remember, whatever shit you have to put up with this week, at least you didn't have a deer stomach explode in your face.

You sir clearly are not. . . #mountainfit #hunterathlete #keephammering #Mtnops #theharderthebetter #thatlastonewasstrangelysexual #earnit!

I was doing all that with a POS frame pack before they were cliche hashtags used by hipsters who someday hope to kill all the deer I have killed... but for does And cows I I #worksmarternotharder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was doing all that with a POS frame pack before they were cliche hashtags used by hipsters who someday hope to kill all the deer I have killed... but for does And cows I I #worksmarternotharder

I don't doubt it at all! I was just having a laugh at the expense of the hashtag crowd! I'm all about shooting does where you can drive to them.

OP
Ratbeetle

Ratbeetle

WKR
that is a lot of work for a doe... i usually fill those tags very close to the truck... :)

True, but I was already back there and it's not like the hike gets any shorter whether I shoot one or not. Had it not been for the muzzleloader guys trying to kill one right by the truck, I wouldn't have needed to be so far in. With 3 days left to fill two tags, better to hike out with some meat than nothing at all. Besides it all eats the same right.

I don't doubt it at all! I was just having a laugh at the expense of the hashtag crowd! I'm all about shooting does where you can drive to them.

Yah I was just having fun too...

Meat down is a great thing. Love seeing so many people dedicated to doing the hard work...and honestly love that there is a a backcountry culture emerging. So many “hunters” never leave the roadway now., and as I get older I find myself staying closer to the truck too... and I hate it. So if someone wants to work that hard for a doe they get nothing but my applause.

True, but I was already back there and it's not like the hike gets any shorter whether I shoot one or not. Had it not been for the muzzleloader guys trying to kill one right by the truck, I wouldn't have needed to be so far in. With 3 days left to fill two tags, better to hike out with some meat than nothing at all. Besides it all eats the same right.

Yah I was just playing around.... should have elaborated. Glad to see people working hard to kill a deer and not just hunting from the truck. Nice work.

I did the same thing two years ago as my headlight was dying on the second side of a buck. It made for a horrible couple hours in the truck. I pretty much washed my face with hand sanitizer...

OP
Ratbeetle

Ratbeetle

WKR
Yah I was just playing around.... should have elaborated. Glad to see people working hard to kill a deer and not just hunting from the truck. Nice work.

No worries. I like backpacking and I like hunting...it's great to be able to combine them. Just not so great with guts on your face.

OP
Ratbeetle

Ratbeetle

WKR
I did the same thing two years ago as my headlight was dying on the second side of a buck. It made for a horrible couple hours in the truck. I pretty much washed my face with hand sanitizer...

Nice to see you're not dead. I shudder to think of what sprayed on my lips...vomit.