Bones found

danarnold

WKR
From The Daily Inter Lake
Kalispell, Montana, July 16, 1923 –
Mute evidence of a tragedy of the woods was discovered a few days ago by Joe McKelvey, park ranger, in the vicinity of Many Glaciers chalet, Glacier National Park.

In a thicket about three miles north, Mr. McKelvey ran across the skeleton of a moose, and upon closer investigation, found parts of a human skeleton, which clearly showed that some hunter years ago had shot and wounded a moose and then been killed by the animal. Close by was found a Springfield 45-70 rifle with the breech open, and a shell which had stuck told how the hunter had lost his life. He had evidently fought to a finish for a broken knife (that) was found on the ground.

Old-timers in the vicinity of the park are of the opinion the skeleton is that of a French-Canadian trapper who disappeared about 18 years ago, but none remember his name. There is no doubt that the man lost his life a long time ago, for the bones are bleached and the rubber shoes which the hunter was wearing are badly weather-worn.

Mr. McKelvey got an excellent photograph of this tragedy of the hills. It shows the two skeletons where the combatants fell after (they finished) their fight, together with the rifle and other equipment of the hunter.
0ffd5ddc1a1d27664de23edac3a01dc4.jpg

View attachment 84951View attachment 84951

http://sportingclassicsdaily.com/moose-v-man-some-really-old-news/

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Nature at its finest........going toe to toe, or toe to hoof, and best one wins.........or both lose. I'm surprised a bear hadn't drug one of both carcasses away from the original scene.

cjl32

Lil-Rokslider
Point bein', even in the contest between man and steer moose, the issue is not certain.

OP
danarnold

danarnold

WKR
Nature at its finest........going toe to toe, or toe to hoof, and best one wins.........or both lose. I'm surprised a bear hadn't drug one of both carcasses away from the original scene.

I'm thinking he buried and slept on it/them till he was either done or out-muscled. idk

SunShine

Lil-Rokslider
So gun jammed ? Why would you approach a wounded 1500 pound animal ? Experienced hunter ? Ha.

Something doesn’t add up. But may he Rest In Peace nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I quickly googled gnp to see what year it was founded as the “article” is dated 1923- but glacier national park was founded 1910- so that didn’t debunk this- but I’m calling shenanigans on it nevertheless

tdhanses

WKR
I quickly googled gnp to see what year it was founded as the “article” is dated 1923- but glacier national park was founded 1910- so that didn’t debunk this- but I’m calling shenanigans on it nevertheless

Reread the story, they found the skeletons in 1923, guy went missing 18years prior so 5 years before the designation.

Also the picture looks to have been digitized and enhanced, no way it’s original but zoom in on it from the article and it’s pretty crappy.

Now it could be fake but I bet there are archives for that paper that would either prove the article was published in 1923 or not.

GotDraw?

WKR
Option #2-
Hunter kills moose, then while field dressing it he is jumped by a grizzly, fights with it and loses. Griz wins and eats both...

Gumbo

WKR
That article/pic is on the wall at the Calf-A diner in Dell, MT. It has a sign that says "no photographs, copies are available for sale" or something to that effect. On a side note, if you are ever passing through, the burgers at the Calf-A are incredible, and BIG.

Phaseolus

WKR
How odd that all the bones are so close together ;). You’d think scavengers would have scattered them quite a bit.

First to the OP: thanks for posting this. Interesting regardless of what may or may not have actually taken place back then.

A closer look at the picture shows both halves of the jawbone laying on & beside the moose skull. The bones and skeletal parts seem to be laying very prominently on top of the ground with no vegetation growing through them, despite having been there many years. The human skull is laying so perfectly and cleanly on top of the ground. My guess is the scene may have been altered or arranged somehow to facilitate the photo. Maybe the bones were scattered about (which I would expect after many years of scavenging) but were gathered and placed for the image.

In any event I'm just looking at clues and probably clueless myself. Thanks again.