Boning out vs not

Going on my first archery elk hunt this year solo so I will be packing our meat (if by chance I am able to seal the deal).

What are y’all’s thoughts on boning out the quarters? Is it worth the extra time to reduce the weight I will have to pack back to the truck? Or is it better to just keep it intact and suffer a little more on the pack out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBob

WKR
Been asked before:

OP
D
Been asked before:

Thanks I will check that out.

fatlander

WKR
Since you’re going to be solo, it’s probably best to not bone the meat out. Unless you let is all completely cool first, and during September you don’t really have that much time. Some of that meat is going to have to hang for a significant amount of time before you get it all out. If you bone it out before it’s completely cooled, the bags that are left behind to hang are going to be absolutely cooking in the center.

My vote is to not bone it out. Bring the back straps, loins, and trim meat out with your first load to get them cooling. Let the remaining quarters hang in the shade over a running water source.

It takes quite a while to bone everything out completely. I just cut out the tenders and straps and then quarter the rest. Sometimes if we have enough guys and can get right up to it, we'll put the the whole field dressed elk in the bed of the truck or Ranger and haul it to the shop to hang.

Geewhiz

WKR
Bone out takes more time at the carcass, yields less product due to trimming, but is significantly less weight, however unstructured weight which may cause difficulty to pack.

Bone in takes less time at the carcass, yields more product, inevitably keeps finished product cleaner, but weighs significantly more.

Take your pick.

With the exception of neck, backstrap and loins, I don't bone anything else. Ribs and legs stay on the bone. And I'm not a road hunter. Everything comes out on my back.

Meat is easier to keep from spoilage if you remove the hide as soon as possible, leave meat on the bone the way God created it, and then hang it in a cool, shaded, dry place, with good air circulation.

Have you considered the other pros and cons of boning our or not? Boning out creates 10 times the surface area exposed to dirt and bacteria. It also results in much more meat loss because of additional trimming.

Eliminating the weight of a bone isn’t worth that to me. I’d never bone out my quarters. Nothing beats cleaning the surface of a whole quarter before processing. Ask any meat processor what they think.

fishslap

WKR
I prefer to leave the quarters on the bone when possible. For sep hunts, I hang the four quarters in the coolest, shadiest spot with some air circulation. I take all loose meat out on the first trip. I pack the hinds out as is on the bone. THEN…. I bone out the front shoulders which helps reduce weight enough for me to get them out together in one trip, saving a trip. I killed a young bull a few years ago that resulted in a 70lb pack for the boned out shoulders. Weights can vary based on how much rib/brisket you take as loose or with the shoulder cut.

fishslap

WKR
Have you considered the other pros and cons of boning our or not? Boning out creates 10 times the surface area exposed to dirt and bacteria. It also results in much more meat loss because of additional trimming.

Eliminating the weight of a bone isn’t worth that to me. I’d never bone out my quarters. Nothing beats cleaning the surface of a whole quarter before processing. Ask any meat processor what they think.
This ^^ whenever I can. So much easier dealing with it at home. I like to get the meat off ice asap and into my garage fridge set low as possible. Way easier to to deal with the meat in this setup when it’s on the bone. Makes processing easier and faster also. I’m no expert but I’ve heard that deboning can cause the meat to be tougher since the muscle can contract immediately. Queue up the guys wanting to debate it…. so it’s just what I heard.

neil.hansford

Lil-Rokslider
There is no right answer. Some people (like me) debone, some do not. It's all personal preference, and you won't know until you've tried it both ways. Focus on getting an elk first. The rest will fall into place.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
Ive done both but more often I debone at camp or back at home.

To the OP - being it your first solo archery elk hunt, get that meat back to camp as soon as you can and get it hung up in the shade. Have a couple cocktails and enjoy the moment. Then debone if you want

That’s right it’s not like a bone is made of lead. There aren’t enough advantages to dropping a few pounds.