Book Cliffs archery

Was there opening day of the archery deer hunt and deer are everywhere. We did see one big buffalo, the first in the couple trips we've made there. I have nothing but great things to say about the area and the numbers of deer. The elk in the area we scout seem to move into the roadless area about the first of August.

That solo buck is nice.

We both filled our tags with decent 4pts a day or two before we had to leave. We both had chances at bigger bucks but no monsters. The unit was as advertised and 150-160 bucks were abundant. We had a great time and met some neat people. It was a fun hunt. The country was amazing.

Where are the pictures?!

So what was the general consensus this year for deer on the book cliffs? I’m getting close to drawing an archery tag.

I was there the week after archery ended on a rifle elk hunt and we didn’t see many bucks in 3 days. Largest we saw was a 130/140.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
bowuntr

bowuntr

WKR
If you read the last two pages it looks like they saw a lot of deer. Looking at the draw stats there's gonna be 6 guys with 16 points for 4 tags... if everything stays the same. I'm going for it again... Ed F

If you read the last two pages it looks like they saw a lot of deer. Looking at the draw stats there's gonna be 6 guys with 16 points for 4 tags... if everything stays the same. I'm going for it again... Ed F

Thank you, I did read the two last posts. I was hoping to have additional people weight in

rtoreson

FNG
Thank you, I did read the two last posts. I was hoping to have additional people weight in

As posted before, lots of bucks and a real fun hunt. Lot's of smaller 4pts with crabby forks. I can tell you some really nice bucks were taken in the roaded area of the unit though. Almost all of these bucks were target bucks these guys saw while scouting and doing their homework. There aren't a ton of really good bucks so usually the few good ones are spotted by multiple hunters and there is some competition on who can get it done. Expect to be surrounded by other hunters especially in the ten mile knoll area. If you can get over and make some scouting trips its a huge advantage to those of us that live so far away. If you can find a shooter off the beaten path and keep it quiet you have a good chance to kill a good one.

Lumpy

FNG
Ed, If you were putting in for and draw that Little creek unit...give me a shout....i can help.

It could be the best area I've ever hunted for elk....and I' ve hunted AZ 3 x.

Hi Beendare....I'm new to the site...but I just got got the multi season bull tag for the Book Cliffs and am beyond excited. I plan on scouting as much as possible but I've never spent one day in the unit before. Anywhere I should start my scouting, tips, etc? Just looking for somewhere to start, I'm a clean slate at this point.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Beendare....I'm new to the site...but I just got got the multi season bull tag for the Book Cliffs and am beyond excited. I plan on scouting as much as possible but I've never spent one day in the unit before. Anywhere I should start my scouting, tips, etc? Just looking for somewhere to start, I'm a clean slate at this point.
How did you draw a multi season tag already?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Huntnnw

WKR
or maybe you get lucky in random! I drew a book cliffs muzzy tag on 5 points. If I had that tag again I would only hunt the roadless area.

Dan Davis

FNG
B2CA7E9C-2575-4B6D-A972-89A706B6DF6C.jpeg2016 archery opening day just off divide road . Seen a lot of deer, just no big ones. Did not scout or hunt roadless wish I had. Burned16 points.

OP
bowuntr

bowuntr

WKR
Well, I drew the tag with 16. I'm heading over on Monday to scout and learn the area and then another scouting trip at the end of July. I'll be hunting solo and can stay the whole season. I'm interested in backpacking in the roadless area for bigger deer, if anyone has any info they are willing to share. I can trade Arizona hunt info...

Huntnnw

WKR
Well, I drew the tag with 16. I'm heading over on Monday to scout and learn the area and then another scouting trip at the end of July. I'll be hunting solo and can stay the whole season. I'm interested in backpacking in the roadless area for bigger deer, if anyone has any info they are willing to share. I can trade Arizona hunt info...
I hunted the roadless only when I had muzzy tag. Pm me if you want the info I know

So how did it go ed?? Want to see some pictures and hear the stories!

OP
bowuntr

bowuntr

WKR
So how did it go ed?? Want to see some pictures and hear the stories!

I know I found it not long after I posted this
sorry about that!