Book recommendations and other camp entertainment?

Fish_monger

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll be spending 10 days in the back country and I’d like to pack some lightweight entertainment for my hunting partner and I. (Insert brokeback mountain joke here.)

I’m thinking a deck of cards and a decent book should suffice. Any recommendations?

2ski

WKR
I rented a FS cabin opening day one year. There was stripper glitter all over. So that's an idea for entertainment. They could hike in with you....

There had been a bachelor party up there recently. Lol

Lark Bunting

Lil-Rokslider
I downloaded a bunch of Netflix content to my phone, lots of comedians, for my son and I to listen to before bed. I also had three books downloaded on ReadEra app on my phone. I also have a small BT speaker for some low-level music. It was nice having some evening entertainment with all the fire bans. Otherwise we'd have spent more time around a fire and enjoying the stars.

Sam's dad

Lil-Rokslider
For trips longer than a couple of days, I bring a kindle with a bunch of books. Then I can switch books if I get tired of one. If I’m with a partner I’ll bring a small cribbage board and a deck of cards.

zacattack

WKR
If you read this, know there was a lot of criticism from academia about his take on their trip and history.

yeah, Ambrose is a hero worshipper writer, I think that’s clear from the very beginning, but it’s still a good read.

mlgc20

WKR
I highly recommend Centennial by James Michener. Centernial chronicles the history and creation of the state of Colorado. Starting with the dinosaurs and going through present time (mid-70s). It's a mix of historical and fictional characters. A long book, but fantastic read.

ODB

WKR
The Land of Feast and Famine by Helge Ingestad is very good of you want a hunting-themed book. Well written and interesting events.

LostArra

WKR
I would recommend Old Man and the Boy by Robert Ruark.
Each chapter is it's own story in fact I think they were originally columns in Field and Stream.
I fall asleep too fast to read a long book although the books mentioned by Michener, Roosevelt and Ambrose are good.

ericF

WKR
Another vote for the Kindle. Why take a single book when you can take hundreds.

Drenalin

WKR
undaunted courage by Ambrose
I'm about a quarter the way through this and really like it so far. Band of Brothers is another one of Ambrose's that I read almost annually. Recently finished Rinella's book Meat Eater, which was pretty good even though most of those stories have been covered in his podcasts and on his show.

I generally find discussing current life issues/events or telling stories to be sufficient.

Don't think I've read a book a single time I've taken one while hunting with a partner.