Book recommendations and other camp entertainment?

rclouse79

WKR
Since I am mainly a weekend warrior, I try to hunt all day hard enough that all I want to do at the end of the day is go to bed. Sometimes I will listen to a bit of a podcast if I am not ready for sleep.

Book Club! May sound silly, but maybe both of you could read or listen to something prior to the trip and discuss.

Coyote America by Dan Flores
Deep Cover: The Drug Wars - Podcast about a guy going undercover in the 70/80's and exposing a drug ring.

Personally, I'd pick something not to do with hunting exactly. I love hunting and talking strategy, but sometimes after a few days, a change of topic can help.

Explorer

FNG
A Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold
I second this. He is a hunter and considered the father of wildlife conservation. It always amazes me that a book written in the 1940s talks about issues relevant today. I think every hunter should read this several times throughout their life.

2ski

WKR
Academia = a bunch of crazy leftists who want to re write history...,who care about the opinion of “academia”?
In this case, it's the author of the aforementioned book that's tried to rewrite history. As someone that lived someplace that Lewis and Clark spent time at, I remember when the book was published and the reception it got.

My intention was just to point out that the book has critiques.

As to your comment though, I was going to make a smart ass comment to match yours, but I'll just say, people get scared when their beliefs are challenged and it threatens the "safety" in those beliefs. They just can't handle it.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
In this case, it's the author of the aforementioned book that's tried to rewrite history. As someone that lived someplace that Lewis and Clark spent time at, I remember when the book was published and the reception it got.

My intention was just to point out that the book has critiques.

As to your comment though, I was going to make a smart ass comment to match yours, but I'll just say, people get scared when their beliefs are challenged and it threatens the "safety" in those beliefs. They just can't handle it.

LOL, now you sound like a leftist saying people are "scared"...no, try annoyed and sick of the fake re writing of factual history.

2ski

WKR
LOL, now you sound like a leftist saying people are "scared"...no, try annoyed and sick of the fake re writing of factual history.
Ambrose's book was the rewriting dude. Lol. So find a different talking point to regurgitate and be unoriginal with.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Ambrose's book was the rewriting dude. Lol. So find a different talking point to regurgitate and be unoriginal with.

Sorry you feel that way, im sick of these so cal "academics" basically saying: if you dont agree with my interpretation, then your'e just afraid. I simply don't respect anybody who tries to pull the whole "you're afraid" thing. have a nice day.

TX_Diver

WKR
Endurance. Crazy story about Shackletons attempt to cross the Antarctic continent.

Walmart has 2 day shipping.

I read it in 2 days though so I'd recommend the kindle and having multiple books also.

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
81 Days Below Zero by Brian Murphy. Survival story of a pilot in WWII time frame who went down over interior Alaska and survived 81 days before rescue.

2ski

WKR
Sorry you feel that way, im sick of these so cal "academics" basically saying: if you dont agree with my interpretation, then your'e just afraid. I simply don't respect anybody who tries to pull the whole "you're afraid" thing. have a nice day.
Im not a big fan of so cal academics either. But I don't heed much out of Southern Cali to begin with so.....

You can't feel sorry for the way I feel. You have no control over my feelings. You only have control over your own feelings, so therfore you can only be sorry for your own feelings. So I'm assuming you meant you were sorry for the way you feel. Myself, being a good person, will accept that apology. And I will wish you a pleasant day as well.

To the OP, might I suggest a treatise on history and how it is written by the winners. And how change of the written history comes about and why. It may make for some interesting reading. ;)

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
Just returned from a backpacking trip in Dolly Sods Wilderness. Read “I got a Monster.” It’s about dirty cops and the GTTF in Baltimore (I live near there). It was real good, I thought.

Also read some of the Federalist Papers. Also good, but the writing from that era is harder to follow after a day of backpacking when you’re tired.

Last edited: