Book Recommendations

Another vote for Joe Pickett series by Box. Just be sure to read them in order because they are sort of sequenced for referring back and adding characters.

1. Open Season (2001)
2. Savage Run (2002)
3. Winterkill (2003)
4. Trophy Hunt (2004)
4.5 Dull Knife (2005)
5. Out of Range (2005)
6. In Plain Sight (2006)
7. Free Fire (2007)
8. Blood Trail (2008)
9. Below Zero (2009)
10. Nowhere to Run (2010)
11. Cold Wind (2011)
11.5 The Master Falconer (2006)
12. Force of Nature (2012)
13. Breaking Point (2013)
14. Stone Cold (2014)
14.5 Shots Fired (2014)
15. Endangered (2015)
16. Off the Grid (2016)
17. Vicious Circle (2017)
18. The Disappeared (2018)
19. Wolf Pack (2019)
20. Long Range (2020)
21. Dark Sky (2021)
22. Shadows Reel (2022)

Last edited:
Another old but good fiction read is John MacDonald's Travis McGee series. This one also should be read in order to keep everything relevent. Each book has a color in the title. Best bet is your nearest library.

From Wikipedia:

Travis McGee lives on a 52-foot houseboat dubbed The Busted Flush. The boat is named after the circumstances in which he won the boat in what McGee describes as a "poker siege" of 30 hours of intensive effort in Palm Beach - the run of luck started with a bluff of four hearts (2-3-7-10) and a club (2), which created a "busted flush," as described in Chapter 3 of The Deep Blue Good-by. The boat is generally docked at slip F-18 at Bahia Mar Marina, Fort Lauderdale, Florida. A self-described "beach bum" who "takes his retirement in installments", he prefers to take on new cases only when the spare cash (besides a reserve fund) in a hidden safe in the Flush runs low. McGee also owns a custom 1936 vintage Rolls-Royce that had been converted into a pickup truck by some previous owner long before he bought it, and another previous owner painted it "that horrid blue". McGee named it Miss Agnes, after one of his elementary school teachers whose hair was the same shade.

McGee's business card reads "Salvage Consultant", and most business comes by word of mouth. His clients are usually people who have been deprived of something important and/or valuable (typically by unscrupulous or illegal means) and have no way to regain it lawfully. McGee's usual fee is half the value of the item (if recovered) with McGee risking expenses, and those who object to such a seemingly high fee are reminded that getting back half of something is better than owning all of nothing. Although the missing items are usually tangible (e.g., rare stamps, jewels, etc.), in several books McGee is asked to locate a missing person; in one, the stolen property is a client's reputation. In several instances, he shows a marked propensity to exact revenge, usually for the ill-treatment or death of one of his few real friends.

McGee does have a sidekick of sorts, in his best friend Meyer, an internationally known and respected economist who lives on a cabin cruiser of his own near McGee's at Bahia Mar, the John Maynard Keynes, and later, after the Keynes is blown up, aboard its replacement, the Thorstein Veblen. There has been some confusion as to whether "Meyer" is a given name or surname, but it is clear in The Green Ripper when McGee and Meyer are in the hotel room with two federal agents. They refer to him twice as Dr. Meyer and at the second, he says, "Just Meyer, please." In Pale Gray for Guilt, Meyer presents a business card giving his name as "G. Ludweg Meyer", and a letter of introduction beginning "My Dear Ludweg". Whether these are his real names or not is obscured by both items being instruments in an elaborate financial con game. Both Meyer's boats are jammed full of books and treatises, ranging far beyond simple economic theory. For instance, Meyer is a chess aficionado and amateur psychologist. Meyer serves as McGee's anchor when McGee's own inner compass seems to be skewed, as well as providing the formal education that the street-smart McGee lacks. Meyer has been known to participate in McGee's campaigns on occasion and has come close to being killed more than once as a result. His cover is usually some sort of academic, though at times he has also played a stockbroker or an entomologist.

The Deep Blue Good-by (1964)

Nightmare in Pink (1964)

A Purple Place for Dying (1964)

The Quick Red Fox (1964)

A Deadly Shade of Gold (1965)

Bright Orange for the Shroud (1965)

Darker than Amber (1966)

One Fearful Yellow Eye (1966)

Pale Gray for Guilt (1968)

The Girl in the Plain Brown Wrapper (1968)

Dress Her in Indigo (1969)

The Long Lavender Look (1970)

A Tan and Sandy Silence (1971)

The Scarlet Ruse (1972)

The Turquoise Lament (1973)

The Dreadful Lemon Sky (1974)

The Empty Copper Sea (1978)

The Green Ripper (1979)

Free Fall in Crimson (1981)

Cinnamon Skin (1982)

The Lonely Silver Rain (1984)

Bigcat_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I recommend the author CJ Box and his Joe Picket books. It’s about a game warden so it’s full of stuff we can relate to. Very, very good books. I also recommend the Bible by God, it’s a good one 🙂

I recommend the author CJ Box and his Joe Picket books. It’s about a game warden so it’s full of stuff we can relate to. Very, very good books. I also recommend the Bible by God, it’s a good one 🙂
I just finished Dark Sky yesterday. Pretty good read in general, but I found a couple things a bit far out there. But then that's true of the Bible, as well. ;)

Kilboars

WKR
I’m reading again Jim Corbett series on hunting man eating Tigard and Leopards in the 1900’s.
Non fiction

Fantastic reading.

The guy had major brass ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Lone survivor by Marcus Luttrell. Ex Navy Seal. true store, made into movie. I'm now reading, Jack Carrs 1st book, The Terminal List.

Just finished Death in the Long Grass. Wow, finished it in a day and a half (evenings)! Makes one think about the differences of hunting in different parts of the world. Anyone have any other recommendations? Preferably about brown bears, since I’ve had a deep fascination with them for a long time.

I bought the entire Terminal List series after seeing so many recommendations here and on podcasts I listen to. Sort of a mistake on my part, had I not bought them all, I wouldn’t have continued after book one. The Terminal List is an act of political masturbation, culminating in a fantasy about killing Hillary Clinton.

Other than that, it’s just one-dimensional characters and absurd name dropping. There are more advertisements than a Gritty film. I’m honestly shocked at how much I see the series recommended.

I don’t read fiction for politics, that shit has already invaded every other aspect of life. Had I realized Carr refers to his work as “political thrillers,” I would’ve looked elsewhere.

On a more positive note, I recently read Tribe by Sebastian Junger (finally) and Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neil Postman. I’d recommend both to anyone, especially the latter. I’m surprised I hadn’t heard of it until recently. It’s more relevant now than ever.

ODB

WKR
Amusing Ourselves to Death by Neil Postman. I’d recommend both to anyone, especially the latter.

An awesome book. If you like that kind of book, get Eric Hoffer’s True Believer. It’s a fantastic little treatise on social/mass movements. Once you have read Hoffer’s book, you’ll be able to recognize the hallmarks of mass movements of all sizes everywhere. It’s pretty incredible.

Eisenhower required his staff to read it.

An awesome book. If you like that kind of book, get Eric Hoffer’s True Believer. It’s a fantastic little treatise on social/mass movements. Once you have read Hoffer’s book, you’ll be able to recognize the hallmarks of mass movements of all sizes everywhere. It’s pretty incredible.

Eisenhower required his staff to read it.
Thanks for the recommendation, I’ll check it out 👍🏻

aussie9

FNG
I kinda like anything by Clive Cussler.
Dick Francis is ok too.
Cheers

Sent from my vivo 1904 using Tapatalk

sodak

FNG
Hero of Two Worlds: The Marquis de Lafayette in the Age of Revolution
by Mike Duncan

Mythos by Steven Fry