Book Recommendations

OXN939

WKR
Rebel Yell was great. Jackson was not the person most want to paint him as. I personally think he had Asperger’s syndrome. One of the more complex people our country has produced.

Could definitely have been somewhere on the spectrum. Fascinating how he went from being a potentially psychotic weirdo to a brilliant tactician who was apparently immune to the emotion of fear on the battlefield. I have a copy of both"Empire of the Summer Moon" and "Rebel Yell" if anyone would be interested in trading for "Death in the Long Grass" or "Alaska's Wolf Man"

Beendare

WKR
I'm currently going through the Jack Carr books [a 3 book series, I think it is]

.....very good Navy SEAL type stuff....and since he WAS a navy SEAL, its incredibly accurate in detail and description.....no, "He undid the Glock safety", or "He grabbed a new clip" comments, his stuff is right on.

OXN939

WKR
Resurrecting this one for a title I just finished. "Never Call me Hero" by a dude named Dusty Kleiss. He was one of the SBD Dauntless pilots that was in the first attack wave on the Japanese fleet at Midway. Pretty insane history told straight from the horse's mouth by a guy who is a verified badass in a way that, to my knowledge, does not exist today. Insane stuff.

Still got "Rebel Yell," "Empire of the Summer Moon" and that one if anyone has any good ones they'd be interested in doing a book exchange type situation for!

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
ONe Second After. to start and the then the other two in its series. Fiction but well written and brings up a lot of interesting stuff

Rebel Yell was great. Jackson was not the person most want to paint him as. I personally think he had Asperger’s syndrome. One of the more complex people our country has produced.
If you liked that one read his accounts in “The Training Ground”. Jackson CHARGED and dispatched a Mexican stronghold with an ARTILLERY UNIT!!!! BMF!

I'm currently going through the Jack Carr books [a 3 book series, I think it is]

.....very good Navy SEAL type stuff....and since he WAS a navy SEAL, its incredibly accurate in detail and description.....no, "He undid the Glock safety", or "He grabbed a new clip" comments, his stuff is right on.

If you like the Jack Carr books you will probably enjoy the books from Clay Martin as well. He is a career SF guy (18F) and was recommended to me by a friend who served 21 years in SOF. Each book has a different protagonist but like Jack Carr, based on his past personal experience. I usually do not read fiction but have enjoyed both authors.

Last Son of the War God

Sword of the Caliphate

OXN939

WKR
I'll necromance this one again for "Ridgeline" by Michael Punke. As it turns out, most of the book took place in the antelope unit I applied for this year... fingers crossing big time I get a tag. Very factual, well written and an easy read that deep dives into how wild the history of the American west is.

rope

FNG
Alaska Wolf Man-Jim Rearden : The book is about Frank Glasser who lived the hunting life in Alaska, he was here from the mid 1910's to mid 50's. He was a commercial meat hunter, trapper, miner. He harvested specimens for the Smithsonian. Hunted sheep, bears, moose and caribou. Its a really good read.

Button

WKR
It’s not mountain stories but Zane Grey has some really good tales of his fishing trips. The size and amount of fish in the ocean back then was astounding.

Dirtbag

WKR
Alaska Wolf Man-Jim Rearden : The book is about Frank Glasser who lived the hunting life in Alaska, he was here from the mid 1910's to mid 50's. He was a commercial meat hunter, trapper, miner. He harvested specimens for the Smithsonian. Hunted sheep, bears, moose and caribou. Its a really good read.
1+ This is an awesome read.

Yarak

WKR
For fiction
To the far blue mountains
Jubal Sackett
Both are LaMour books and very good reads

grfox92

WKR
Across the Fence and On The Ground by John Stryker Meyer. The most insane unbelievable combat stories I've ever come across (SOG in Vietnam). The kind of stuff you laugh at in movies because you know no one could live through it, except those guys did. And it's their
stories.

Undaunted Courage

All of the Jack Carr books in order.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Absolutely love the attention to detail even though sometimes the name dropping of actual people (John Dudley and Tom Clum both at one point) and the household known named products his character uses make me laugh from time to time.

James Reece doesn't strike me as a PSE guy, but to each his own I guess. Haha!