Book recommendations

trekker9

FNG
"Lords of the Fly"

Great book about the guys trying to land the world record tarpon in Homosassa, Florida back in the 80/90's before Social Media killed it.

Kilboars

WKR
"Lords of the Fly"

Great book about the guys trying to land the world record tarpon in Homosassa, Florida back in the 80/90's before Social Media killed it.

Crazy true story on obsession of making vintage flies.

ec52f8d7e0324a42e7578c52d1981e80.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, really surprised for the lack of love for Robert Ruark. “The Old Man and the Boy” is an American classic. I love his African tales as well. As said before, Jim Corbett’s books are all incredible reads. He was truly a fascinating individual. I would certainly look at any of the George Bird Evans books if you are at all in to upland hunting. Burton Spiller is heavy on the grouse subject as well.

For non hunting, my favorite series of all time has been the Honor Bound series by W.E.B. Griffin. The follow up Clandestine series is good as well.

twall13

WKR
I've enjoyed this thread and have found some great reads through it. I finished "The Long Walk" by Slavomir Rawicz recently and really enjoyed that one. An absolutely incredible journey.

I'm about halfway through "Alaska's Wolf Man" and have really been enjoying that one as well.

Both of those books have situations that show how tough people used to be and how soft we've become. Most of the people I know would have just given up and died rather than face many of the circumstances they fought through for survival.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

ttmannan

Lil-Rokslider
This thread made me add several books to my Libby list. I read River of Doubt on a flight to Brazil to fish for peacock bass - thank you to those who recommended it. The Wager and Killers of the Flower Moon were added as a result of this list and thoroughly enjoyed as well.
I'm currently reading In the Kingdom of Ice by Hampton Sides while I wait on Endurance and The Boys in the Boat on my Libby.

Beendare

WKR
I didnt see anyone mention Special Forces Admiral McCravens 2 hr Make Your Bed (motivational life advice) or his book “Sea Stories” I think some here will like.

Its primarily buds and training experiences and behind the scenes mission planning- only a little bit of combat stuff- all which has been covered by other sources before. Its worth the read.

Loper

WKR
Just got Killers of the Flower Moon. Thanks for the recommendation. Looking forward to it.

satchamo

WKR
Hunting:
Death in the Long grass
The tenth legion (if you’re a turkey hunter)
American buffalo

War:
With the old breed. (Ww2)
The liberator (ww2)
Ghost Soldiers (ww2)
Blood and Thunder (kit Carson)
1776 (Revolution)
Spearhead (ww2)
Son of the morning star (custer)
Killer angels (civil war)

Science/wildlife:
Coyote America